IP Settings for Canon GP200

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 25, 2005 3:44:17 PM

We've purchased a used Canon GP200 printer/copier here (similar to the
Canon GP215, if you have one). It's driving me batty, though. Try as I
might I can't figure out how to set the IP address and network mask
through the front panel.

Does anyone have a similar model and can offer tips? I've downloaded
just about every service manual in existence, but they don't include
networking instructions. I was also able to print a network
configuration page and plug a laptop into the printer's Ethernet port.
I could HTTP with the EFI RIP and could play around with print jobs
there -- but nothing related to setting IP addresses.

Help!! I'm stuck now and my boss is breathing hard down my neck to get
the printer up and running. Any assistance would be appreciated.

----
Bert Sierra, IT Manager + (928) 778-0170 x130
Fann Contracting, Inc. + 1403 Industrial Way + Prescott, AZ 86301

More about : settings canon gp200

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:04:13 PM

I forgot to mention that we've got an internal EFI RIP installed on the
GP200. I don't know if there's some way to enter the RIP from the front
panel or not. There doesn't appear to be any way to get at the network
settings from the web interface of the RIP. There must be a way via the
front panel.

Changing my company's subnet to 192.168.66.xxx is not feasible. We have
way too many devices to try to squeeze into a Class C subnet.

----
Bert Sierra, IT Manager + (928) 778-0170 x130
Fann Contracting, Inc. + 1403 Industrial Way + Prescott, AZ 86301
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:53:44 PM

In setting an IP address use these numbers. Make sure that you nothing
on your network is using the IP address. In most cases the network mask
will be a 255.255.255.0.

Now the harder part. In most cases a small business will have a class C
address. Most routers will default to a class C address of
192.160.1.1. The important thing is to make sure that the device you
set the IP address for is on the same subnet as the rest of the nodes on
the network For example if you set the device as 192.168.1.90 and the
rest of the network is 192.168.10.x (x can vary) the network will not
see the device since it is on a different subnet.

In that specific case set the device to 192.168.10.90 assuming 90 is
currently not being used.

Let us know if it works.

Bert Sierra wrote:

>We've purchased a used Canon GP200 printer/copier here (similar to the
>Canon GP215, if you have one). It's driving me batty, though. Try as I
>might I can't figure out how to set the IP address and network mask
>through the front panel.
>
>Does anyone have a similar model and can offer tips? I've downloaded
>just about every service manual in existence, but they don't include
>networking instructions. I was also able to print a network
>configuration page and plug a laptop into the printer's Ethernet port.
>I could HTTP with the EFI RIP and could play around with print jobs
>there -- but nothing related to setting IP addresses.
>
>Help!! I'm stuck now and my boss is breathing hard down my neck to get
>the printer up and running. Any assistance would be appreciated.
>

>----
>Bert Sierra, IT Manager + (928) 778-0170 x130
>Fann Contracting, Inc. + 1403 Industrial Way + Prescott, AZ 86301

March 25, 2005 10:53:45 PM

Thanks for the tips regarding IP addressing. I know what I want to set
up, what I don't know is the front panel button sequence needed to
program it in to the Canon GP200 printer/copier.

Or is there a way to reset to factory defaults and then force it to
learn the IP address during initial setup?

What is set right now is:
IP Address: 192.168.66.232
Network Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 127.0.0.1

What I want to program in so that the unit is on our LAN is:
IP Address: 192.168.1.127
Network Mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Yes, that mask is correct. Our LAN is a Class B network at
192.168.xxx.xxx. The router is at 192.168.1.1. There is no other
device assigned to 192.168.1.127. Every device on 192.168.1.xxx uses
manual IP addressing -- no DHCP.

Any help with what I need to do to program this in would be appreciated.
Thx in advance.

----

In article <c%Z0e.2589$zl.2407@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In setting an IP address use these numbers. Make sure that you nothing
> on your network is using the IP address. In most cases the network mask
> will be a 255.255.255.0.
>
> Now the harder part. In most cases a small business will have a class C
> address. Most routers will default to a class C address of
> 192.160.1.1. The important thing is to make sure that the device you
> set the IP address for is on the same subnet as the rest of the nodes on
> the network For example if you set the device as 192.168.1.90 and the
> rest of the network is 192.168.10.x (x can vary) the network will not
> see the device since it is on a different subnet.
>
> In that specific case set the device to 192.168.10.90 assuming 90 is
> currently not being used.
>
> Let us know if it works.
>
> Bert Sierra wrote:
>
> >We've purchased a used Canon GP200 printer/copier here (similar to the
> >Canon GP215, if you have one). It's driving me batty, though. Try as I
> >might I can't figure out how to set the IP address and network mask
> >through the front panel.
> >
> >Does anyone have a similar model and can offer tips? I've downloaded
> >just about every service manual in existence, but they don't include
> >networking instructions. I was also able to print a network
> >configuration page and plug a laptop into the printer's Ethernet port.
> >I could HTTP with the EFI RIP and could play around with print jobs
> >there -- but nothing related to setting IP addresses.
> >
> >Help!! I'm stuck now and my boss is breathing hard down my neck to get
> >the printer up and running. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:22:49 PM

If all else fails change your network subnet to 66. Then all of the
devices should see each other.

Bert Sierra wrote:

>Thanks for the tips regarding IP addressing. I know what I want to set
>up, what I don't know is the front panel button sequence needed to
>program it in to the Canon GP200 printer/copier.
>
>Or is there a way to reset to factory defaults and then force it to
>learn the IP address during initial setup?
>
>What is set right now is:
> IP Address: 192.168.66.232
> Network Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway: 127.0.0.1
>
>What I want to program in so that the unit is on our LAN is:
> IP Address: 192.168.1.127
> Network Mask: 255.255.0.0
> Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>
>Yes, that mask is correct. Our LAN is a Class B network at
>192.168.xxx.xxx. The router is at 192.168.1.1. There is no other
>device assigned to 192.168.1.127. Every device on 192.168.1.xxx uses
>manual IP addressing -- no DHCP.
>
>Any help with what I need to do to program this in would be appreciated.
>Thx in advance.
>
>----
>Bert Sierra, IT Manager + (928) 778-0170 x130
>Fann Contracting, Inc. + 1403 Industrial Way + Prescott, AZ 86301
>

>In article <c%Z0e.2589$zl.2407@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>In setting an IP address use these numbers. Make sure that you nothing
>>on your network is using the IP address. In most cases the network mask
>>will be a 255.255.255.0.
>>
>>Now the harder part. In most cases a small business will have a class C
>>address. Most routers will default to a class C address of
>>192.160.1.1. The important thing is to make sure that the device you
>>set the IP address for is on the same subnet as the rest of the nodes on
>>the network For example if you set the device as 192.168.1.90 and the
>>rest of the network is 192.168.10.x (x can vary) the network will not
>>see the device since it is on a different subnet.
>>
>>In that specific case set the device to 192.168.10.90 assuming 90 is
>>currently not being used.
>>
>>Let us know if it works.
>>
>>Bert Sierra wrote:
>>

>>>We've purchased a used Canon GP200 printer/copier here (similar to the
>>>Canon GP215, if you have one). It's driving me batty, though. Try as I
>>>might I can't figure out how to set the IP address and network mask
>>>through the front panel.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a similar model and can offer tips? I've downloaded
>>>just about every service manual in existence, but they don't include
>>>networking instructions. I was also able to print a network
>>>configuration page and plug a laptop into the printer's Ethernet port.
>>>I could HTTP with the EFI RIP and could play around with print jobs
>>>there -- but nothing related to setting IP addresses.
>>>
>>>Help!! I'm stuck now and my boss is breathing hard down my neck to get
>>>the printer up and running. Any assistance would be appreciated.

June 29, 2009 4:24:55 PM

I don't know if you're still looking to fix this issue, but I have had a similar challenge in front of me this morning, and I managed to get into the configuration of the printer with a tool called NetSpot Device Installer. Google can show you were to download it, and it makes it easy enough to reset the network configuration.

Cheers,
Brandon Smith
gonkulator at gmail dot com
!