New motherboard....can't load windows now.

magnav0x

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Ok, I had a Albatron K8X800 PRO II and it was running Windows on a SATA drive. I just got a ABIT NF8-V and hooked everything up to it and now I can't load windows. It tries to load windows (breifly shows windows loading progress bar) but then reboots. It also reboots when trying to go into Safe Mode. Is this all due to the SATA drivers or what? Is there an easy fix or do I need to reinstall Windows? My friend is having the exact same issue (we swapped motherboards), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

kevint

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Chipset Driver conflict.
Your only hope is to go back to the original motherboard and try to
remove every driver that you can find. You usually can change motherboards
if you keep the same chipset manufacturer otherwise you need to clean out
the drivers before switching boards.

magnav0x

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Chipset Driver conflict.
Your only hope is to go back to the original motherboard and try to
remove every driver that you can find. You usually can change motherboards
if you keep the same chipset manufacturer otherwise you need to clean out
the drivers before switching boards.

So I'm assuming a "windows repair" from the Windows XP CD won't do the trick?

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
The issue is with the disk drive controller - I have had this happen and know how to fix it - put the old motherboard back and boot into windows. .under drivers - go to the HDD controller drivers and you will see the ones specific to your old mobo. Replace those with the generic microsoft HDD controller driver and reboot to be sure the driver went in ok. Once the driver has been replaced sucessfully with the windows generic one, you can replace the mobo and the new one will come up ok. From there, you can install the HDD controller drivers for the new mobo. Good Luck!!

J. Keller

magnav0x

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Well I wish I would have asked here before I swapped. Right now my buddy has my old motherboard and he has mine, I doubt either one of us want to swap them out two more times to fix the problem. Thanks for all the info though, I'll try a Windows repair and see if that works and if not, I'll just reinstall Windows. Thanks guys!

TRENDING THREADS