mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I've decided I want to build a system with the E6700 but it will retail for about $570. I was hopeing to build a budget gaming system but with the benchmarks this is the CPU I want. With a new CPU I guess there is no such thing as budget, but since I can get a 250gb hd for about $100 and I already have optical drives I don't have to buy much.

My question is this:
Any guesses on the cost of a conroe mobo? From http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/
they used the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Intel P965 Chipset). Any idea on what this will cost? I dont' want to skimp on memory, though...is there a significant difference in cost of budget memory and good memory? For 2 gb isn't about $100?

I think I'll have to buy my system over 2-3 months...cpu, mobo, case followed by GPU, hard disk and memory.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I've decided I want to build a system with the E6700 but it will retail for about $570. I was hopeing to build a budget gaming system but with the benchmarks this is the CPU I want. With a new CPU I guess there is no such thing as budget, but since I can get a 250gb hd for about $100 and I already have optical drives I don't have to buy much.

My question is this:
Any guesses on the cost of a conroe mobo? From http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/
they used the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Intel P965 Chipset). Any idea on what this will cost? I dont' want to skimp on memory, though...is there a significant difference in cost of budget memory and good memory? For 2 gb isn't about $100?

I think I'll have to buy my system over 2-3 months...cpu, mobo, case followed by GPU, hard disk and memory.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

Just to venture a guess on the motherboard.. north of $200 since its quad core ready...

You can find 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM with CLS4 for around $185 after a MIR on Newegg.

Considering that current 975X mobos are over $200, you can bet that the 975XBX will be as well. I am budgeting about $250 just for the mobo. The mainstream i965 chipset will most likely range from around $125 to $200.

Conroe difinitely looks like it can outperform the Athlon 64, but more reviews to confirm it performance is always good.

Regardless of whether I go with Athlon AM2 X2 or Conroe, either should outperform my aging Athlon XP-M PC by a wide margin.