Buying More Memory

a b } Memory
November 19, 2004 10:54:39 PM

I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?

(I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)

David H

More about : buying memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 12:35:54 AM

Let me fill you in a bit. SD is flash memory, as is MMC (MultiMediaCard) and
Compact Flash. The Secure in Secure Digital refers to a proprietary
capability built into the card that would allow content providers to load
content onto a card, such as games, encyclopedias, music, etc, and lock it
so it could not be copied but could be used. It is not intended for user
security, nor has any PPC been blessed with the ability to work with that
security. Secure Digital cards do typically have a mechanical read-only
switch, but that is not really security.

SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are interchangeable
in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but they
have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go look at
current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you luck
into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many here
have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
fine.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
> just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
> the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
> manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
> your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
>
> (I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)
>
> David H
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 12:38:08 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:54:39 -0500, "David C. Holley"
<DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote:

>I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
>just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
>the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
>manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
>your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
>
>(I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)
Sd is preferred for storage because on devices like my Dell Axim X5
the Sd card slot is limited so if I want a devices beyond storage I
have to go the CF route.

a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 5:49:44 AM

FWIW, I got a 1 GB SD card for my Axim X30 at Newegg for about $70. Its a
Kingmax 60X, which is supposed to be faster than your average card. Works
fine for everthing I throw at it, and I doubt I'll ever fill it.

"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
> just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
> the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
> manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
> your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
>
> (I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)
>
> David H
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 5:59:57 AM

THX and BTW I had forgotten the URL for pricewatch.com and the site
name. (I had looked at the site multiple times a few years ago.) Its
been bugging the diggers out of me.

David H

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> Let me fill you in a bit. SD is flash memory, as is MMC (MultiMediaCard) and
> Compact Flash. The Secure in Secure Digital refers to a proprietary
> capability built into the card that would allow content providers to load
> content onto a card, such as games, encyclopedias, music, etc, and lock it
> so it could not be copied but could be used. It is not intended for user
> security, nor has any PPC been blessed with the ability to work with that
> security. Secure Digital cards do typically have a mechanical read-only
> switch, but that is not really security.
>
> SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are interchangeable
> in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but they
> have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go look at
> current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
> basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you luck
> into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many here
> have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
> fine.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 7:35:29 AM

Hehe, sure.. They said the same thing about 640k memory in the orig PC
also :-)

Mitch

"Jeff Hansman" <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:chynd.23647
I doubt I'll ever fill it.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 10:05:32 AM

I think MMC cards are a tiny bit thinner than SD cards

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> Let me fill you in a bit. SD is flash memory, as is MMC (MultiMediaCard) and
> Compact Flash. The Secure in Secure Digital refers to a proprietary
> capability built into the card that would allow content providers to load
> content onto a card, such as games, encyclopedias, music, etc, and lock it
> so it could not be copied but could be used. It is not intended for user
> security, nor has any PPC been blessed with the ability to work with that
> security. Secure Digital cards do typically have a mechanical read-only
> switch, but that is not really security.
>
> SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are interchangeable
> in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but they
> have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go look at
> current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
> basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you luck
> into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many here
> have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
> fine.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 2:22:24 PM

Could be Todd, but I haven't seen a PPC yet that wouldn't handle either. Not
even the old Jornada MMC battery and CF sleeve. It was billed as MMC but
would take SD fine.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP" <Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in
> I think MMC cards are a tiny bit thinner than SD cards
>
> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> > Let me fill you in a bit. SD is flash memory, as is MMC (MultiMediaCard)
and
> > Compact Flash. The Secure in Secure Digital refers to a proprietary
> > capability built into the card that would allow content providers to
load
> > content onto a card, such as games, encyclopedias, music, etc, and lock
it
> > so it could not be copied but could be used. It is not intended for user
> > security, nor has any PPC been blessed with the ability to work with
that
> > security. Secure Digital cards do typically have a mechanical read-only
> > switch, but that is not really security.
> >
> > SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are
interchangeable
> > in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but
they
> > have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go
look at
> > current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
> > basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you
luck
> > into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many
here
> > have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
> > fine.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 5:44:20 PM

Mitch_A wrote:
> Hehe, sure.. They said the same thing about 640k memory in the orig PC
> also :-)

Indeed. "640 Kilobytes ought to be enough for anybody." Wasn't it Bill
Gates himself who said that in 1981?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 6:17:32 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:49:44 GMT, "Jeff Hansman"
<jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

>FWIW, I got a 1 GB SD card for my Axim X30 at Newegg for about $70. Its a
>Kingmax 60X, which is supposed to be faster than your average card. Works
>fine for everthing I throw at it, and I doubt I'll ever fill it.
I would add the other reason I prefer SD for storage on my Dell, my
digital camera also uses SD cards.

So now when I go to take digital photos, I have enough SD cards for
more than 1,000 photos.

Just dump the photos on the desktop/burn to CD or whatever and
I have 4 blank SD cards I can use in either the digital camera or
the Dell Axim.

How did I ever survive without a digital camera all these years?

a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 6:17:36 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:35:54 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are interchangeable
>in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but they
>have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go look at
>current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
>basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you luck
>into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many here
>have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
>fine.
I have a number of Sandisk CF and SD cards. They work fine.

The SD cards not only work fine in the Dell Axim X5, they also work
well in my digital camera.

The only problem I had with the Sandisk was with the CF card in the
hp680 and i'm more convinced than ever that the problem was not
the sandisk card but with the buggy hp680.

a b } Memory
November 20, 2004 9:03:52 PM

Well, I am a chauffeur and I'm thinking about loading up the pPC with
assorted (LEGALLY and PROPERLY) downloaded MP3 files for playback in the
car. I'm thinking then that 1GB might be just enough.

David H

Mitch_A wrote:
> Hehe, sure.. They said the same thing about 640k memory in the orig PC
> also :-)
>
> Mitch
>

> "Jeff Hansman" <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:chynd.23647
> I doubt I'll ever fill it.

November 22, 2004 12:51:05 AM

In article <419f57c6$0$1067$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, Urp <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> wrote:
>Mitch_A wrote:
>> Hehe, sure.. They said the same thing about 640k memory in the orig PC
>> also :-)
>
>Indeed. "640 Kilobytes ought to be enough for anybody." Wasn't it Bill
>Gates himself who said that in 1981?

And indeed at a time when 16K was the norm, this was indeed very true.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
November 23, 2004 2:22:54 PM

I got my first ppc yesterday so please bear this in mind.

On a more practical level for me.

I am told that something like theTom-Tom UK map will fit on a 128mb SD card.
If something like this will fit on a card and these cards are not unknown to
go wrong, is it not an arguement to buy several cards of 128 or 256 to get a
GB of storage and limit possible losses in case of failure?

It's NOT the money, but I see 128MB Bytestore cards at a fiver (8 dollars)
therefore a gig is 40 quid

David.

"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:35:54 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are
interchangeable
> >in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but
they
> >have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go look
at
> >current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
> >basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you
luck
> >into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many
here
> >have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have been
> >fine.
> I have a number of Sandisk CF and SD cards. They work fine.
>
> The SD cards not only work fine in the Dell Axim X5, they also work
> well in my digital camera.
>
> The only problem I had with the Sandisk was with the CF card in the
> hp680 and i'm more convinced than ever that the problem was not
> the sandisk card but with the buggy hp680.

News==----
Newsgroups
a b } Memory
November 23, 2004 3:04:48 PM

If you want to buy and shuffle lots of cards that is your choice. As an
alternative why not get 2 large cards and use one, copy to the other as
backup?

Whatever card(s) you get you can always back them up to your PC.

Cards don't seem to fail too often, it seems more the case that they don't
work in a machine straight away, although failures are possible.

"david" <m463geslollipop@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o sNII7U0EHA.3836@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I got my first ppc yesterday so please bear this in mind.
>
> On a more practical level for me.
>
> I am told that something like theTom-Tom UK map will fit on a 128mb SD
card.
> If something like this will fit on a card and these cards are not unknown
> go wrong, is it not an arguement to buy several cards of 128 or 256 to get
> GB of storage and limit possible losses in case of failure?
>
> It's NOT the money, but I see 128MB Bytestore cards at a fiver (8 dollars)
> therefore a gig is 40 quid
>
> David.
>

> "Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:35:54 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> > <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >SD cards and MMC cards are the same physical size, and are
> interchangeable
> > >in that way. Until recently MMC cards were limited to about 256M, but
> they
> > >have passed that barrier. www.pricewatch.com is a decent place to go
look
> at
> > >current prices. As far as reliability is concerned, I'd avoid bargain
> > >basement priced items, unless they are definitely brand names, and you
> luck
> > >into a sale. Sandisk, of the big brands, has not been good to me. Many
> here
> > >have had fine luck with them though. My Kingstons and Lexars have
been
> > >fine.
> > I have a number of Sandisk CF and SD cards. They work fine.
> >
> > The SD cards not only work fine in the Dell Axim X5, they also work
> > well in my digital camera.
> >
> > The only problem I had with the Sandisk was with the CF card in the
> > hp680 and i'm more convinced than ever that the problem was not
> > the sandisk card but with the buggy hp680.

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 23, 2004 3:47:16 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> Cards don't seem to fail too often, it seems more the case that they don't
> work in a machine straight away, although failures are possible.

Like most electronic devices the failure pattern ought to follow what is
known as a
bathtub curve. The number of failure is high in the first few days/weeks
etc. then falls
to a low level for a long time. In old age the failure rate rises again -
and when it does it is time to throw them away!

Chris
Anonymous
a b } Memory
November 24, 2004 12:24:26 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:47:16 -0000, "Chris Watts"
<ng@ctwatts.plus.com> wrote:

>"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Cards don't seem to fail too often, it seems more the case that they don't
>> work in a machine straight away, although failures are possible.
>
>Like most electronic devices the failure pattern ought to follow what is
>known as a
>bathtub curve. The number of failure is high in the first few days/weeks
>etc. then falls
>to a low level for a long time. In old age the failure rate rises again -
>and when it does it is time to throw them away!
My understanding is the CF cards have a write life of somethning
like 1,000,000 writes before they go bad. My further understanding is
the device will die before the CF card does. But backups are
good because you never know when a CF card will be
lost/stolen/or develop a problem.

I would also point out CF cards will be fried if they are sent
snail mail (the equipment that scans mail also fries CF cards)

Also when you go through airport security when the security
professionals are looking your ppc they may overwrite something/
loose a CF card/damage the card/etc.

So backups are a really really good idea.

November 26, 2004 8:50:03 PM

David C. Holley wrote:

> I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
> just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
> the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
> manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
> your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
>
> (I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)
>
> David H

some SD readers also read MMC (MultiMedia) cards- they are a lot cheaper
than SD and more reliable. I got a 512mb one for £30 on ebuyer - my
128mb SD card cost £35 from dixons, and regulary doesn't work!

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Thank you for the heads up on Airport Security. My PPC will be traveling
w/me to Lake Tahoe for an upcoming ski trip!!!!

Amy Gray wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:47:16 -0000, "Chris Watts"
> <ng@ctwatts.plus.com> wrote:
>

>>"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>>Cards don't seem to fail too often, it seems more the case that they don't
>>>work in a machine straight away, although failures are possible.
>>
>>Like most electronic devices the failure pattern ought to follow what is
>>known as a
>>bathtub curve. The number of failure is high in the first few days/weeks
>>etc. then falls
>>to a low level for a long time. In old age the failure rate rises again -
>>and when it does it is time to throw them away!
>
> My understanding is the CF cards have a write life of somethning
> like 1,000,000 writes before they go bad. My further understanding is
> the device will die before the CF card does. But backups are
> good because you never know when a CF card will be
> lost/stolen/or develop a problem.
>
> I would also point out CF cards will be fried if they are sent
> snail mail (the equipment that scans mail also fries CF cards)
>
> Also when you go through airport security when the security
> professionals are looking your ppc they may overwrite something/
> loose a CF card/damage the card/etc.
>
> So backups are a really really good idea.

> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
a b } Memory
November 27, 2004 10:53:04 AM

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> David C. Holley wrote:
>
> > I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
> > just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
> > the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
> > manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
> > your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
> >
> > (I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the
security.)

> > David H
>
> some SD readers also read MMC (MultiMedia) cards- they are a lot cheaper
> than SD and more reliable. I got a 512mb one for £30 on ebuyer - my
> 128mb SD card cost £35 from dixons, and regulary doesn't work!
>
> --
> Marc

But MM cards generally have slower access than SD cards. I use both and
would only use MM where speed doesn't matter. SD also seems to be available
in larger sizes than MM too.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 7, 2004 5:40:12 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:49:44 GMT, "Jeff Hansman"
<jhansman@pacbell.net> scribed:

>FWIW, I got a 1 GB SD card for my Axim X30 at Newegg for about $70. Its a
>Kingmax 60X, which is supposed to be faster than your average card. Works
>fine for everthing I throw at it, and I doubt I'll ever fill it.
>
>"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> I just bought my PocketPC (and have already fallen in love with it in
>> just setting it up) and know that I need to buy additional memory. Are
>> the SD card manufacturers pretty much the same or are there
>> manufacturers that tend to be better than others? In short, what are
>> your experiences with SD cards in terms of quality and reliablity?
>>
>> (I'm assuming that SD memory is preferred than Flash due to the security.)
>>
>> David H

Comp USA had 512 MB for sale on Black Friady for $30, no rebate
required... That's plenty for now :)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 7, 2004 5:41:20 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:03:52 -0500, "David C. Holley"
<DavidCHolley@netscape.net> scribed:

>Well, I am a chauffeur and I'm thinking about loading up the pPC with
>assorted (LEGALLY and PROPERLY) downloaded MP3 files for playback in the
>car. I'm thinking then that 1GB might be just enough.
>
>David H
>
>Mitch_A wrote:
>> Hehe, sure.. They said the same thing about 640k memory in the orig PC
>> also :-)
>>
>> Mitch
>>

>> "Jeff Hansman" <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:chynd.23647
>> I doubt I'll ever fill it.

I have a 2 hour movie (133MB) and a 30 minute tv episode (47MB) on my
PPC atm, and still have lots of wiggle room.
!