I need HD replacement help please!

klm4379

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I've been doing alot of upgrading to my computer lately and whether or not that 's the cause of my troubles, I don't know. Lately my computer gives me random BSODs and program crashes ohh...every other week or so. From googling the error messages and searching for different possible solutions I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty sure my HD is failing. (Probably bumped it hard once or twice in the upgrading processes. I've purchased a new HD intended to be a replacement...but it was an OEM from mwave.com that came with nothing but the drive itself. I've changed pretty much everything in the computer except a harddrive so I'm kind of at a loss as to the best way to go about it. Ideally, I'd like to just save some info (which I have backed up to a 1gb usb key and a couple of cds.) and just reinstall all other programs (mainly games and whatnot). Two problems with this...1. I don't have the first clue what to do...and 2. My computer is a Dell Dim. 8400, it came with XP Home and a disk for that, I have since purchased an XP Pro upgrade. Can I just use the Home disc to install Home on the new harddrive and then upgrade to Pro like I did the first time? I've heard of people not being able to do this because of Dell's discs not having the full version of XP whatever only enough info to repair or reinstall (I'm assuming on the original hd?) I guess anyone who can at least start me off with some info would be appreciated?

baran311

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
First things first.

Install the new HDD in your computer. Connect all the cables the way it was with the old HDD in there.

Next make sure that your new HDD is jumpered correctly. If it was by itself on the IDE cable then remove the jumper, if not jumper it master. It should have a diagram on the HDD somewhere if you confused.

Next, boot the computer. Look at the screen when it starts up, look specifically for an instructional key that says 'setup' or something to that effect. Press that key to enter the setup. (it is going to be different on most computers)

Then look in this area (BIOS Configuation) for a boot sequence menu. Change your CDROM to the first thing on the list.

Next save the changes.

Now put the Windows XP cd into your computer and reboot.

It should load a windows setup screen and take you through a partition process where you have to create a new partition.

Create a partition and format it.

Now install windows on the freshly partitioned drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions and that should be it!

klm4379

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Do I have to set the size of the partition or will the process determine that itself....If I can call the shots I'd like to make it fairly small. Thanks for the step by step though....much better than the hd manufacturer and dell help!

baran311

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
You can set the partitions up however you want.

My suggestion to you is to create a couple of partitions on the one drive.

If it is an 80GB drive make it into 2 40GB partitions or something.

You'll see what i'm talking about when it asks you to allocate space for the partition.

***Remember that when you are finished installing windows some of your devices will not work properly until you plug the Dell cd in with all your drivers.

I'm not sure how dell has it setup nowadays.