Sign in with
Your question

BF2 net latency?

Last response: in Video Games
September 2, 2005 8:49:10 AM

Hey all,
I came accross a new issue w/ the BF2 regarding ping times. I'm running the 1.5 meg DSL connect. The issue I'm having is I'm getting periodical lagg. Like my ping will be at 13 then for some reason jump to 100, 200, and all the way to 750 at one point. I get that "there is a problem with your connection" message, then it goes back to normal. Gettin me killed lots with that lag though.

I only have the one machine on the line, all unneccesary background tasks closed, even reset the modem and router, but still getting this lag now.

Is this just an issue with the servers I've been getting? I try to hit only the official ones with pings of less than 100. Is there a way to test the throughput on my line to check my end? I'm gettng a good steady 120 fps at high detail setting, according to fraps, it's just the ping going batty. So, I really don't think it's my cpu or gpu.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<font color=green> I doubt, therefore I might be. </font color=green>

More about : bf2 net latency

September 2, 2005 9:34:57 AM

That’s very odd. Ever since the latest patch pings on the server menu have been a little off, and I’ve found that servers for me up to pings of 200 in the server menu run under 50 when actually on the server. When you get into the server browser click the “ping” tab so that the servers with the lowest pings come up tops, and just click on the first open one you find and then if you have the same problem you’ll know if it’s something on your end.
September 2, 2005 11:38:03 AM

Do you have a wireless connection to your router?

BigMac

<font color=green>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.</font color=green>
September 2, 2005 2:54:34 PM

Yeah, that might be it actually... pings over wireless are terrible.
September 2, 2005 9:51:00 PM

i get that a lot too. some servers i have been on have a server message saying we know there is lag, blame the devs we are waiting for a patch.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
September 2, 2005 11:20:26 PM

I think the last couple weeks have been a bit higher than normal.

What I've also found is that for best results I should restart my computer before playing. I generally leave my computer on for weeks at a time but I get some very odd lag if I don't restart regularely.

<font color=red><pre> _ ___
#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>
September 2, 2005 11:22:04 PM

Another thing. Once you find a good server stick with it. The one I use stays at a steady ping of 40. When it's full though I use other servers and that's where I see most of the problems. Either way I do have to restart on a regular basis.

#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>
September 3, 2005 12:26:49 AM

yeah, I always sort the servers by ping and pick the lowest ones. That's how I said I normally don't play any that are over 100 if I can.

And Pauldh,
I did say in the original post I usually play the official EA ones.
I do have a wireless router but the game machine is hard connected w/ cat 5 cable, my other 2 machines completely off and not taking any b/w away. I keep that machine off always until I play. So, that's not it.

This is just something over the last couple days. I get in to a server w/ ping ~50. It just randomly spikes here and there to be much higher for ME not the entire server ping. FPS stays up, just lag out on the latency. The router shows a good 100T connect. Maybe just bad luck with the couple I've been on lately.

September 3, 2005 5:03:28 AM

I play an offical server but I'm not sure where it is. The switching sucks since I get annoyed with the Chinese voice after about 2 seconds but it gives you a chance to use other weapons. Otherwise I'd only be the Americans.

#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>
September 3, 2005 5:13:38 AM

I checked my ping alot tonight. Was always in the 19-25 range. problem is I had 2 lags and 1 disconnect in 3 hours of playing. The disconnect was a bummer as I was doing well, but it turned out the next game I joined was more fun anyway. It does seem to be getting worse for some reason.

The language is what bothers me too. I spot tanks or helicopters and have to read to see if it got it right. I'd probably always be US too if it didn't switch me.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>
September 3, 2005 5:23:05 AM

I was on a server the other day where I shot a guy point blank in the chest with the shotgun, twice, and he didn't die but killed me. I shot another guy about 15 times with the spec ops gun and he didn't die either. Was an official server too.

I really try to stick to my normal server since I don't have any real problems there. They also have lots of people that use team speak. There's nothing worse than being on a silent server. The game sucks when people don't communicate.

#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>
September 3, 2005 8:39:15 AM

I've yet to get on a single server where anyone uses the com. (if that's what you mean by teamspeak) A couple times I've found guys doing decent with the text, but it makes such a difference to not have to read the text while you're fighting.

That's one of my favorite things about Counter-Strike. You almost always have some decent amount of com channel info to keep you going. Granted, some people go insane and start singing and other stupid crap, but again, it's so much easier to HEAR "sniper on the left hand side of building" than to try n read it or make out the Chinese or Arabic. Even with the correct use of the standard messages, "enemy spotted" or even "enemy sniper spotted" or "artilery at your position" is not nearly as effective as your teammate yelling "artillery coming, back up" or "don't bomb here, I almost have it" or whatever. It's just not the most effective way to communicate. IMHO
As I'm sure some of you have also experienced, I've been on CS on the severely handicapped team (like CT's on Assault or Militia), yet had the experience of blowing through the entire opposite team of 12 with 4 or 5 guys using the radio to correctly coordinate and plan. That's something that I have found lacking in BF2 so far.

September 3, 2005 6:34:52 PM

It's rare. No doubt. However when you get a squad with everyone or at least 3 or 4 communicating it's like night and day. Yesterday 2 of us were snipers and were pointing out the other snipers with team speak. It was 3 on 2 but we held our own due to good communication.

#_~`--'__ `===-,
`.`. `#.,//
,_\_\ ## #\
`__.__ `####\
~~\ ,###'~
\##'
</pre><p>
!