Best GSM phone for fringe areas?

Last response: in Network Providers
October 16, 2004 11:11:24 PM

My wife is on Cingular and is about ready to upgrade her phone and
calling plan (she has an older TDMA phone)

Unfortunately, we live in a cellular "black hole" where, regardless of
carrier, signals are very weak (Cingular, Verizon, & Sprint don't work
well here at all!)

So I'm wondering what phones we should look at and what phones we
should avoid?

Thanks!

Dave

More about : gsm phone fringe areas

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:09:13 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:11:24 -0400, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My wife is on Cingular and is about ready to upgrade her phone and
>calling plan (she has an older TDMA phone)
>
>Unfortunately, we live in a cellular "black hole" where, regardless of
>carrier, signals are very weak (Cingular, Verizon, & Sprint don't work
>well here at all!)
>
>So I'm wondering what phones we should look at and what phones we
>should avoid?

Reception-wise most of the GSM Nokias are terrific, in my experience.
The Nokia 6200 is known to be a super signal holder. My 3120 is
outstanding as well. Sony-Ericssons are hit or miss. Motorolas are
fine for reception, if you like Motorola phones. I generally don't.
Can't speak about LG since I've never owned one.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:12:43 AM

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My wife is on Cingular and is about ready to upgrade her phone and
> calling plan (she has an older TDMA phone)
>
> Unfortunately, we live in a cellular "black hole" where, regardless of
> carrier, signals are very weak (Cingular, Verizon, & Sprint don't work
> well here at all!)
>
> So I'm wondering what phones we should look at and what phones we
> should avoid?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

You don't say where you are, but you might check on the availability of GAIT
phones in your area. The phones are rapidly being phased out but the
technology will work on available GSM, TDMA and Analog networks. They're
great for rural areas.
!