Motherboard For Intel

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
First off, I want to apologise for asking what may for some be a really dumb question.

What is the best motherboard for an Intel CPU? I am building a system for a friend, and for the processor I am using an 805D for the CPU. Unfortunately, having only used AMD parts since my first computer, I have ignored all news about the latest and greatest Intel parts. The only reason that I am even considering recommending this processor is the $150+ price advantage over the AMD Dual Cores. I only wonder which chipset/motherboard would give me the most reliable performance for an indefinite time of over 2-3 years.

Some of the requirements for this board are a sub-$150 price tag (no overclocking being done, just a solid performer), PCI Express x16, and DDR2. I have found this motherboard on Newegg, but due to the price I wasn't sure if it would be good for this setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135223

The person who will be using this computer is NOT a heavy computer user, and only plays games with a complexity of HL2 or worse. I am trying to keep the total cost for this computer around $500 and definitely below $600. I am only going dual core for a High-End option for him, and just need advice on the board. I do have 3 other configurations selected that are AMD based, and I have no problems with those.

I think that this is the cheapest dual core CPU on the market now. If I am mistaken, and there is one of lower cost at a store of good repute, I would really like to hear about it. Thanks for anything anyone can think of.

For solid boards.... stay away from brands like ECS or PC CHIPS. Look at brands like Asus or Gigabyte, or (since there is no overclocking involved) Intel branded boards.

These 2 would be my picks:

Asus P5LD2 or the Asus P5PL2

Note that both of these Asus boards may need a BIOS flash before being able to accept the Pentium D 805.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Thanks! I have heard, however that ASUS has some problems with lower-quality power-supplies (the like, which I fear will be included with the case I am using). Does this happen often? Or is it just something that happens if you are unlucky?

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I would stick with ASUS. it is by far the best board manufacturer around. As far as your case I would go with a ANTEC case which has a ANTEC power supply in it. It is the most quite box I have ever used and will ONLY use those until I see otherwise. If you are looking for cheap you can get a ASUS board with built in GPU (although I would not get becuase of VISTA) for around 80 bucks at zipzoom.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I was definitely going to go with one with PCI Express, I have an ATI Radeon X1300 picked out for this build. And for asus, I have heard many good things, and even experienced them from a guy down the hall from me about asus. Again, thanks all for the advice. I shall make it so.