DSL Modem warnings!

Cerksees

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Buy Diamond and Hawking DSL modems at your own risk.
Let me explain.....

I purchased a Hawking DSL modem to install for a client that was moving to a new office. I had never purchased a Hawking DSL modem, but I had no reason to not trust the brand.

Cutting to the chase....I had a problem setting it up in "bridge mode" and called tech support. Of course they aren't based in the US (big surprise) but we tried struggling through the language barrier as best we could.

Eventually, the tech support rep had me upgrade the firmware in the modem. This made the modem completely non-functional. And, his only solution was for me to return the modem to the store. As it was already late and the local computer stores had closed, this did not make me very happy.

I made due with a spare bellsouth modem that I had and got the client up and running.

2 days ago I had a client that needed a modem replaced. Unfortunately, the only modems in stock were (you guessed it) Hawking. So, like a drunken fool, I bought one and went to try the install.

Again, I had problems....but, ever the positive thinker, I called Hawking tech support again. When Habib answered, I got a strange chill. But, that chill in no way prepared me for what Habib was about to say.....

To obtain Hawking technical support for a dsl modem problem you have to EMAIL tech support. Let me type that again.... To obtain Hawking technical support for a dsl modem problem you have to EMAIL tech support.

I asked Habib if he understood what a modem did. He assured me that he did. I then told him that I would be happy to EMAIL Hawking tech support for help connecting my Hawking ADSL modem if he would be so kind as to tell me how I might accomplish that.

Habib suggested that I "go outside" and email Hawking tech support. After a little clarification, he actually was suggesting that I go to "an internet cafe" and EMAIL Hawking tech support for help setting up my Hawking ADSL modem.

I asked him how I would be able to trouble-shoot my modem problems from "an internet cafe", and he had no idea.

I had also purchased 2 Hawking network cards. I threw everything back in the bag and took it all back to my computer store. I will NEVER buy any Hawking products again. I will mail order parts in first.

I still needed a DSL modem, so I stopped by Fry's electronics. They had a limited selection, but a Diamond DSL modem looked like just what I needed. It was the Diamond SupraMax DSL642WLG - Wireless DSL Modem Router for only $99.

Now, I hadn't tried Diamond before, but at least it wasn't Hawking.

Setup was easy. Everything worked flawlessly...or so it seemed.

Although I had set the start and end DHCP addresses at 2 and 150 respectively, the PCs (all set to get IP addresses and related info automatically) that were rebooted would not get the gateway IP without using the "Repair" option on the network connection.

So, I set the gateway IP manually and looged on to Diamond's website to find a tech support number.

There isn't one. This is even worse than Hawking! You CAN'T call Diamond tech support at all. They only give you a form to send an EMAIL and tell you they will send a reply to your EMAIL in 12-48 hours.

Sending EMAILS to get tech support for DSL modem troubles! For the love of God!

Do yourself and your clients a HUGE favor.....steer clear of Hawking and Diamond DSL modems. Pigeons would be faster.

Cerksees

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
The thing that really got to me is the fact that neither Hawking or Diamond has telephone tech support for DSL modems that they sell.

To tell a user that cannot connect to the internet to email tech support is like a slap in the face.

These companies do NOT care about thier customers. Once you buy their problematic products, they abandon you.

This is not illegal.....but it should be.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
You are right on that point. If you can't connect to the net what are you going to do? Go to a library and take it with you to work on? Even going to a friends house would be a pain. My guess is they do it to save money.

Cerksees

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
If you can, stay with the modem installed by your ISP.

If you need a replacement modem, and your ISP can;t get to you right away, You may want to try a Zoom modem.

The Zoom tech support guys actually answer the phone AND the helpful rep I talked to said that the X5 was more reliabel than the X6. So, if you don't need wireless support in your modem, stick with the Zoom X5.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
wow thats pretty shocking.

it would only make sense that a company dealing with internet products (modems, routers, nic's) would have a telephone base so they could help you when that product doesnt work. the idea that you have to email them is bull.

almost as funny as those dial up internet commercials that say all you have to to do sign up is log onto a web site! how can you use the internet when you dont have it yet!

sometimes people forget that not everyone has ccess to the internet 100% of the time. 8)

d1ck0

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have Bulldog Broadband as my ISP and Phone service in the UK , when you ring the customer helpline it says " If your phone or broadband service is not working please use the FAQ section on the website first " :D

Its just like the warning on Mcdonalds Coffee cups , "Cautions Contents may be HOT" :D.

I seriously believe when you work for big corporations common sense goes out of the window !

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I believe it was peoplepc I had at the time, but I was having trouble and there was a message saying to read the FAQ on the website for help. Lot of good it did.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Well if it wasn't for BAD luck you would have NO luck at all.

The only thing I have bought from Hawkings was a couple of 10/100 NIC cards, $4.00 ea on sale at frys. They had realtec chipsets worked with no problem.

I've had the same kind of problems with anything BELKIN.
You couldn't pay me to buy them, they are nothing but problem, too.