To all you Intel weenies...

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Normally I could care less about one company vs another but I thought this would be appropriate for all of those who think Intel is the greatest ever and are riding high on Conroe: TI Out Produces Intel. At least one market where Intel will still be lagging after Conroe, though relatively small. And, they will likely beat Intel to 45nm for those who mistakenly think that Intel has the smallest process.

Discuss... :D

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Normally I could care less about one company vs another but I thought this would be appropriate for all of those who think Intel is the greatest ever and are riding high on Conroe: TI Out Produces Intel. At least one market where Intel will still be lagging after Conroe, though relatively small. And, they will likely beat Intel to 45nm for those who mistakenly think that Intel has the smallest process.

yeah that was interesting. TI makes calculators, phone chips, etc. but they dont get the press that Intel does because they don't make high visibilty chips.

Imean, the best FireWire chips are TI. Mot people would be surprised at how many electronic devices have TI chips.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Very much so. They also make a lot of the silicon that goes onto other components. as you said, people would be shocked to know the breadth of their penetration.

Motorola also.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I remember back in college my Casio graph calculator was powered by TI chips, I think. It was great, helped me with some calculus equations.

TI OWNS the engineering calculator market. Every math, engineering, physics, etc major uses them and a souped up 3D graphing one only costs $200.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I remember back in college my Casio graph calculator was powered by TI chips, I think. It was great, helped me with some calculus equations.

TI OWNS the engineering calculator market. Every math, engineering, physics, etc major uses them and a souped up 3D graphing one only costs $200.

Absolutely. I HAD to have one in high school calculus, not to even touch my college engineering courses.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Absolutely. I HAD to have one in high school calculus, not to even touch my college engineering courses.

Tell me about it. I still have my TI-81 and I use it every now and then even though I do development now.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Waste of time article. TI has been right behind Intel for a while - they deployed 65nm in late '05, for example. Without any definite timeframe, it's impossible to say that they are going to "beat" Intel at anything (in terms of process size - they may with chip volume, I don't know). While their SRAM numbers are impressive, Intel displayed their SRAM chip half a year ago. They may have decreased the cell size by now.

It's just a press release from TI copied and pasted into a news article, nothing more. I wouldn't put much faith on it without a definite time frame. It's about as useful as an Intel pat-on-the-back press release.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Waste of time article. TI has been right behind Intel for a while - they deployed 65nm in late '05, for example. Without any definite timeframe, it's impossible to say that they are going to "beat" Intel at anything (in terms of process size - they may with chip volume, I don't know). While their SRAM numbers are impressive, Intel displayed their SRAM chip half a year ago. They may have decreased the cell size by now.

It's just a press release from TI copied and pasted into a news article, nothing more. I wouldn't put much faith on it without a definite time frame.

You do realize this is more of a joke than anything right?

I am not that concerned with who gets to 45nm first. TI has been winning in volume for years, no big deal. The real point is to show/get people to realize that this is more than just and Intel/AMD world, and to draw out the hardcore fanboys that would take tis too seriously and come up with reasons why this article/TI suck. :twisted:

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

Sorry. I blame it on jet lag. :oops:

Well, if you want to bring up TI.. why not bring up ARM? They license out their uArch for over 1.7 billion chips a year. :roll:

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
TI announced that it has developed the smallest 45nm SRAM memory cell, taking up a mere 0.24 square microns. This is 30 percent smaller than Intel's smallest SRAM cell said TI. In fact, due to design, TI says that its 45nm SRAM cell is up to 30 percent smaller than other 45nm SRAM cells.
I did find this interesting. To put things in perspective, Intel's 45nm SRAM cell takes up 0.346 square microns and AMD's is even larger at 0.370 square microns.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2734&p=2

The benchmark when producing a wafer of SRAM is how small you're able to produce each SRAM cell. At 45nm Intel was able to achieve a 0.346 square micron SRAM cell size compared to AMD's 0.370 square micron SRAM cells. Intel's advantage in SRAM cell size is nothing new, as they have been doing so in previous process technologies as well.
While it may seem that TI's 45nm process is better, it's mainly because they are optimized for different things. TI's would be mainly power consumption in mind while Intel's and AMD's have to worry about allowing for high speeds. Intel and AMD probably have larger distances between the source and the drain to reduce leakage which would account for the larger sizes. AMD's use of SOI might also make their process larger.

xcetera

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Intel has already demonstrated a working 45nm static RAM memory chip. Last year Intel began work on its second 45nm 300mm plant at Fab 28 in Kiryat Gat, Israel which is suppose to come on line in the second half of 2008. Its first 45nm 300mm plant is Fab 32.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Apples and oranges. What are you talking about? Did anybody expect Intel to win the mobile (cellphones and calculators and etc.) space with Conroe? Please elaborate. Intel is fighting a couple of battles but it doesn't translate into what you assumed. It is a good article but you mixed it up.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

It's just a press release from TI copied and pasted into a news article, nothing more. I wouldn't put much faith on it without a definite time frame.

I am not that concerned with who gets to 45nm first. TI has been winning in volume for years, no big deal. The real point is to show/get people to realize that this is more than just and Intel/AMD world, and to draw out the hardcore fanboys that would take tis too seriously and come up with reasons why this article/TI suck. :twisted:

You do realize that chipset that TI makes are not as involved as CPU. If chipset is all Intel has to make, they would probably have the 22nm cranking already. The smaller it is, the more they can crank out and make more money. It's so automated that its not even funny. Robots handles all of Intel 300mm wafers. Operators cannot even touch the wafers boxes. Its too heavy.

Tri-gate transister, look out AMD! You pissed off the sleeping giant!

Rick_in_Oregon

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I agree. I just retired from the Aloha campus and know for a fact the resources Intel has. And yes, I have dodged a few robots in my time!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you could care less, and if you did care less, you wouldn't have said anything. So it appears you could care less about anything, even breathing. That is to say, you couldn't care more about anything else if you quite breathing. Do you need help?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Well, you could care less, and if you did care less, you wouldn't have said anything. So it appears you could care less about anything, even breathing. That is to say, you couldn't care more about anything else if you quite breathing. Do you need help?

Grow up. This was just a thread to start a discussion about something other that Intel v AMD. Though it also serves a secondary purpose of illustrating how polarized these forums are lately.

TRENDING THREADS