thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Im giving AMD shot with a gaming system I am curently trying to put together...someone sug. starting out with a Athlon 3700+...With all this talk of price drops should I be looking into another type of AMD CPU..and even if it DOES NOT happen should I be looking into something other then staring out with a 3700+...I can't go top of the line but I want to get as close as pos. Im just not to familiar with AMD...can someone give me a jist of what CPU or even what AMD platform I should go should start out with...I Play F.E.A.R.,oblivion,Doom 3, M.O.H etc....

It seems the more research I do...the more confused I get..could someone give me a good choice or choices that I might be better starting off with...Now Im not even sure if I should go Sli or not ...at this point and I dont want to do any overclocking if necessary

Its starting to get me a little nuts

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
If you're looking to play games you should put more emphasis on a good graphics card rather than a fast processor. The processor will help to some extent, but the largest performance gains can be had by getting a faster graphics card (as long as you have a DECENT processor). As it says in my sig, my CPU os an Athlon X2 3800 (a dual core 3200) which in most games is about the same as a 3200 if not a hair slower.
I was initially using a 6800GT which I was borrowing, but later bought a 7800GT (overclocked) and got a pretty big performance gain.
If you're going to SLI you'll probably end up spending quite a bit of money on the cards, and for SLI to be effective, you need as fast of a processor as possible due to the overhead involved. Unless you are a SERIOUS quality nut, you'll probably be fine with a single high end card. I can play FEAR and Oblivion cranked up almost all of the way with my system although at a somewhat low resolution due to my monitor. I could probably do a bit better with a higher clocked processor, but I got a good deal so I'm not complaining. If you're building a new rig I also recommend 2GB of RAM. All of those large textures need somewhere to go! :D In Oblivion I often hit over 80% memory usage (with windows and all of my background tasks being about 20 out of that 80).
I hope that helped. Post about how much money you have to work with if you want something more specific.

-mcg

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
BTW, avoid double posting the same question. People find that really annoying.

I second that. Its been a long day for me and I was going to go to bed, but I was going to try to help one more person first... :?
I'm going to bed now.

-mcg

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
If you're looking to play games you should put more emphasis on a good graphics card rather than a fast processor. The processor will help to some extent, but the largest performance gains can be had by getting a faster graphics card (as long as you have a DECENT processor). As it says in my sig, my CPU os an Athlon X2 3800 (a dual core 3200) which in most games is about the same as a 3200 if not a hair slower.
I was initially using a 6800GT which I was borrowing, but later bought a 7800GT (overclocked) and got a pretty big performance gain.
If you're going to SLI you'll probably end up spending quite a bit of money on the cards, and for SLI to be effective, you need as fast of a processor as possible due to the overhead involved. Unless you are a SERIOUS quality nut, you'll probably be fine with a single high end card. I can play FEAR and Oblivion cranked up almost all of the way with my system although at a somewhat low resolution due to my monitor. I could probably do a bit better with a higher clocked processor, but I got a good deal so I'm not complaining. If you're building a new rig I also recommend 2GB of RAM. All of those large textures need somewhere to go! :D In Oblivion I often hit over 80% memory usage (with windows and all of my background tasks being about 20 out of that 80).
I hope that helped. Post about how much money you have to work with if you want something more specific.

-mcg

Pretty much what he said.... but OMG, I didn't hear anything about any price drops for AMD, maybe b/c I was too busy building my rig this weekend. Anyways, I have an opty 146, 2.0 right now at stock w/ 7900GT KO, runs really, really nice.

My advice, get an opteron, they are better for overclocking

If you have the cash, get either a 165 or 170, if you don't, the 146 or 148 would do just fine

thedirtybubble

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Thanks for the info...As far as a video card goes I'm leaning towards a 7900gt oc..almost bought it tonight from zipzoomfly $259.00 after rebate

I already have a 6800 gt oc in my older Dell..and the games run pretty darn good ..even with high settings

The mobos I was looking at were the Asus A8n-sli premium and the Asus A8n32-sli deluxe..ive gotten some other suggestions but it seems everyone is partial to what there used to using..I was going to go with a 250 GB HD not sure what make yet and twin sticks of Corsair 1GB 3500LLpro (2GB total ) and of coarse all the other
with the Athlon 3700+ the system I had in mind was running between $1000 & $1200...Im putting a lot of time in looking for the best prices

not sure what AMD I want to go with Someone suggested the 3700+ because of the specs were really maybe even better then the 3800+ I think its the size of the cache...I also actually saw a BFG mobo on a site tonight but I am to tired to look into it tonight.

If I could decide on a really great NON-Sli mobo....I think I would go that route and buy the 7900 GT oc...it seems like a really good price..

Any opinions on the best NON-SLI mobo

Thanks again for the info

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
My advice, get an opteron, they are better for overclocking

Don't get me wrong here - I have a 170 and love it. But with the upcoming X2 price drops, I can't really recommend an Opty unless the buyer has settled on 939 and wants to OC to the limit. After the price drop, you can get a steal on an X2. Just 5 or 6 weeks away.

ThunderGodThor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
True that they are droping but itsnt often any of the X2's can clock up to 2.6-3.0. But it all depends on what you are going to do. I really recomend saving just a little and getting the dual core. They are the future and the latest nvidia beta drivers 91.28-91.31 all have an option for threaded optimaztion. Just food for thought. You also might wait those 6 weeks or so for the corone bechies to come out.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
IIRC, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium is one of the best MB's out there for skt 939 now, while the Deluxe version is one of the worst. I can vouch for the stability of the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 at no to moderate overclocking, but I know there are better boards out there (this board doesn't offer NCQ for SATA HDD's, which kinda sucks, and its stuck with shitty northbridge cooling due to placing the NB right behind the PCIe slot, so the card overhangs the NB cooler - this isn't a problem if you don't overclock and have a well ventilated case).

The BFG MB's are all (IIRC) rebranded Chaintech boards, so you can get the same board cheaper without the BFG label.

Also, check out the DFI-Lanparty series for non-sli setups. I have heard good things about them (though I have never used one personally).

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
True that they are droping but itsnt often any of the X2's can clock up to 2.6-3.0. But it all depends on what you are going to do. I really recomend saving just a little and getting the dual core. They are the future and the latest nvidia beta drivers 91.28-91.31 all have an option for threaded optimaztion. Just food for thought. You also might wait those 6 weeks or so for the corone bechies to come out.

Yep, that's why I included that "OC to the limit" qualifier.

jackjoson1205

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
DUAL CORE amd 64 X2 am2 is what u should get
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207238&CatId=2328

GET AM2 you will thank forself in 5 years when u need an upgrade and u thank yrself because u go 2 the store and buy a brand new cpu not searching ebay for your 939 used cpu, stay with the technology but wait a few months let them work out any bugs discoverd and let reviews come out and wait for the price cut u will beable to get more bang for your buck

its fast you wont be dissapointed + add in a 7900gt(dont get overclocked card bad bad ratings on them overheating and dieing in only a few months) segata 200gb harddrive(they have good drives) 2gb ram(DDR2 cant beat that faster memory corsair XMS looks like some good memory) +mobo(asus board its around $160 looks like a good board form the few 2 choose from) and a good gaming mouse/keyboard and get a good monitor if u dont already have one $300 for a 20.1' widescreen benq lcd monitor. thats what im getting and if u ask me the monitor looks sick i cant wait for it.