Are fuel prices up in your Country? - Part II

thanks to the way the world panics etc, prices in the UK are set to rise to
£1 due to katrina. or $7 a US gallon. Which is funny, because by the time
Katrina makes it to the UK it will probably only have 10mph winds.

but america is sooooo ripped off aparently!!!! :-( Id love to pay $3 for a
gallon!!!!

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

>I told you things were bad over here:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Misc/gas1.jpg
>
> Dallas

New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before it
hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.

But at the same time it is also greed.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Six bucks a gallon in New Orleans...Is it a shortage or is it really
> greed.
>
> Mr. Steve
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>I told you things were bad over here:
>>
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Misc/gas1.jpg
>>
>> Dallas

I live near Phoenix and three of the five gas stations around my home were
out of gas tonight and had to pay $3.09/gal for the same gas I paid $2.39
for a couple or so weeks ago. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Why is it that when the price of gas goes up, there is enough to go around,
but not when they are down. Do they actually think that if they raise the
price people will stop going to work or getting groceries or going to the
doctor or going to church or...of course not. The consumption will no doubt
go down somewhat (i.e. a little less boating etc) but not enough to turn the
market around. I guess it's a good thing I got rid of that car and the
payment...now I can use that money on gas for my son to get to school and my
wife to get to work.

Oh well...hard come easy go

Mr Steve of the Bitchin Brigade

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before it
> hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.
>
> But at the same time it is also greed.
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb
> "Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Six bucks a gallon in New Orleans...Is it a shortage or is it really
>> greed.
>>
>> Mr. Steve
>>
>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>I told you things were bad over here:
>>>
>>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Misc/gas1.jpg
>>>
>>> Dallas

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:59:30 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before it
>hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.
>
>But at the same time it is also greed.

It was $6 a gallon in Atlanta Yesterday

Bob

>>New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before it
>>hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.
>>
>>But at the same time it is also greed.
>

> It was $6 a gallon in Atlanta Yesterday

as someone said, that was just a greedy petrol station manager wanting more
money. He has most likely got in DEEP trouble for that....

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

>>>New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before
>>>it
>>>hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.
>>>
>>>But at the same time it is also greed.
>>

>> It was $6 a gallon in Atlanta Yesterday
>
> as someone said, that was just a greedy petrol station manager wanting
> more money. He has most likely got in DEEP trouble for that....
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb

According to an energy investment guru they had on CFMNOSNNOXBC (the cable
news outlets all look/sound alike after a while...), the $6.00/Gal gas was
in some ways a good thing (and most likely NOT due to greed) because it
would deter all but the most determined hoarder from bringing 3 cars and 15
jerry cans to the pump in an hour like somebody reportedly did.

Jay B

Arthur

I saw that station operator interviewed on CBS. Interestingly, he appeared
to be Arabic in appearance and stated he raised the price of premium gas to
$6/gallon to discourage sales. Said he wanted his gasoline to last and not
run out. It appeared he was getting his wish, because people were going
across the road to another station which had a much lower price. When asked
why he just didn't sell all his gas at a competitive price, he stated and I
quote 'Duhhhhh'.....end of interview.

Gasoline in Toronto Canada is going for $1.14/liter which is driving us
nuts. Government officials and oil company execs are shrugging it off as
almost an 'act of God'.

Yeah, I'll agree we are still paying less than some Euro countries and even
Australia, but these places are populated with small, fuel-efficient cars
and short distances to travel (I guess Oz may be an exception to this).
Canada and the U.S.A. are BIG countries with so so transportation systems
(although the U.S.A. has an incredible interstate system and an equally high
budget to keep it getting better and better). Canada does the best it can
with what it has but it's far inferior.

Looking at the big picture, no hardship we may sustain due to fuel costs
compares to the horrors currently being endured in the southern U.S.A., and
for that reason, I refuse to worry about the price of fuel at this
time....maybe some other time. Historically speaking, I doubt if the price
of fuel will ever go down enough to be even close to pre-Katrina prices. It
didn't happen after the middle-east war in the 70's and it isn't going to
happen in our future.

We are all going to have to sustain a lower standard of living now,
considering so many of our consumables are made with some sort of oil-based
product (plastics, etc.). Want to know what that's like? Ask your
grandparents or anyone else who lived in the 40's and 50's (like me) .

Arthur

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>New Orleans is out. I heard they started running out a few hours before
>>>it
>>>hit, so no one could get out who wanted to.
>>>
>>>But at the same time it is also greed.
>>

>> It was $6 a gallon in Atlanta Yesterday
>
> as someone said, that was just a greedy petrol station manager wanting
> more money. He has most likely got in DEEP trouble for that....
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb

dallas

"Adam Webb"
> but america is sooooo ripped off aparently!!!! :-( Id love to pay $3 for a
> gallon!!!!

When you fill up, you are not buying petrol... you're paying your taxes.

It's hard to feel sorry for you guys, that's a self inflicted wound. :)

Dallas

> It's hard to feel sorry for you guys, that's a self inflicted wound. :)

No, you said that last time and it's still wrong.

There are only three political parties to choose from that have sufficient
majorities to possibly govern the UK, and they would all tax fuel in the
same way.

D.

I have to ask. Katrina surely is a devasting natural disaster and I feel
saddened for anyone caught up in it who have lost homes or loved ones but
why would this cause the cost of fuel to rise. Oil won't cost more to drill
in Middle East or refining. Is it not that ALL governments use fuel/oil as
a form of insurance for the Global Economy. If we have a problem and we are
short of a few dollars/pounds we will just 'up the cost' and raise some more
spending money to sort it out or buy a few more bombs.

Ibby

>I told you things were bad over here:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Misc/gas1.jpg
>
> Dallas

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>"Adam Webb"
>> but america is sooooo ripped off aparently!!!! :-( Id love to pay $3 for a
>> gallon!!!!
>
>When you fill up, you are not buying petrol... you're paying your taxes.
>
>It's hard to feel sorry for you guys, that's a self inflicted wound. :)
>

>Dallas

Taxes in the US are a lot less than in european countries.
Also keep in mind that in many states the taxes are a fixed amount per
gallon, not a percentage.
So, less gas sold in those states means less tax money for the gov't
coffers.
In the other stateswhere taxes are based on a percentage -
thebureaucrats are just rubbing their hands together and grinning
from ear to ear at the tax windfall they get ;-( They have no
incentive to lower gas prices.

Just heard of the Atlanta news is that some gas stations are facing
hefty fines for gouging. It ay be up to $5000 either per sale or even
per gallon sold!
One station, according to the news, sold gas at $9 per gallon!
Note: this came off the noon news - how much of it is actually true,
we'll find out perhaps later.

-=tom=-

Guess we all start singing now: "We are the champions".

It costs a lot but it gets you something. Due to the traffic jams I think
that we spend more hours in our cars per liter also!
It took me 1 1/2 hour to get from Almere to Amsterdam yesterday, about 30
kms that is.

Gerard

"Wim Dijkgraaf" <wim.dijkgraaf@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Holland, 1.50 EURO/LTR. At the top?

Just heard on the Atlanta news - Georgia is temporarily suspending
gasoline taxes starting tonite.

If that's true, other states and Washington should follow suite.
At least they should eliminate gas taxes on trucks delivering
necessities of life.

-=t=-

Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tom Orle <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> BTW - many oil drilling platforms in the gulf are damaged.
>
>I read somewhere that those platforms primarily drill for natural gas.
>Additionally, there were over 1,000 platforms in the Gulf, but only 60 or
>so were damaged/destroyed.

Yes many are natural gas platforms.
As far as damaged platforms are concerned - I guess the final figures
will not be in until a few weeksfrom now.

-=t=-

"Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)"
<chris@mwapartnershipNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have to ask. Katrina surely is a devasting natural disaster and I feel
>saddened for anyone caught up in it who have lost homes or loved ones but
>why would this cause the cost of fuel to rise. Oil won't cost more to
>drill in Middle East or refining. Is it not that ALL governments use
>fuel/oil as a form of insurance for the Global Economy. If we have a
>problem and we are short of a few dollars/pounds we will just 'up the cost'
>and raise some more spending money to sort it out or buy a few more bombs.
>
> Ibby

I am not an economist. But I do understand one thing about the dynamic
aspects of this. Three words: Supply And Demand. When supply goes down,
price goes up. When demand goes up, price goes up. I know there has been
price gouging. That is never good. But the station who gouges the public
will not survive the long run. If there is truly a real shortage, expect
prices to go up. Station owners will be paying more as well.

As I said, I don't understand much about the whole picture of economics and
business. But that is a armchair economists point of view.

All this makes me want to fill up my pickup with food and water and anything
else I can get my hands on and drive to New Orleans and help one family.
Unfortunately, that would only help a very few and my dollars and efforts
would make mostly me feel better. (I'm in California) I would suggest that
dollars can be used much more efficiently by the Salvation Army and Red
Cross for relief which we have already done. Those who are in the area and
can offer efficient help please do so. We should not look to the government
to solve all the problems. We the people must help each other.

crash

donbutts wrote:
> My lady wants to go out to somewhere expensive tonight so we're off
> to the gas (petrol- service)station
> Butts

Hey, my kinda guy DR B!!

Maybe on the way you can get her a nice birthday or anniversary present -
like a drill press, or something..
<G>

dallas

"Beech45Whiskey"
> Additionally, there were over 1,000 platforms in the Gulf, but only 60 or
> so were damaged/destroyed.

Thanks. I've been waiting for someone on the news to report on that
important story.

Dallas

dallas

"Tom Orle"
> If that's true, other states and Washington should follow suite.
> At least they should eliminate gas taxes on trucks delivering
> necessities of life.

Tax on US fuel is only 5%.. wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Dallas

dallas

"Andy L."
> Three words: Supply And Demand. When supply goes down,
> price goes up.

Just a fun and interesting factoid:

It costs the Saudis $ 4.00 to pull a barrel of oil out of the ground.
Market price has been bumping up against $70 all week.

Disclaimer:
Yes, I studied Economics at University... Yes, I understand the cost of
production has nothing to do with the market price. Like I said, this is
just a "fun fact". (Or maybe not such a fun fact)

Dallas

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in news:kU1Se.6604$z2.5556
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> "Andy L."
>> Three words: Supply And Demand. When supply goes down,
>> price goes up.
>
> Just a fun and interesting factoid:
>
> It costs the Saudis $ 4.00 to pull a barrel of oil out of the ground.
> Market price has been bumping up against $70 all week.

But the problem is that oil is not a renewable resource. So the question
isn't "how much does it cost to lift a barrel of oil?", but rather, "how
much does it cost to explore, find, and place into production a barrel of
oil to replace the one you just sold?".

scott s.
..

dallas

"donbutts"
> My lady wants to go out to somewhere expensive tonight so we're off to the
> gas (petrol- service)station

I like it... I'm going to steal it.

Dallas

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)"
<chris@mwapartnershipNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have to ask. Katrina surely is a devasting natural disaster and I feel
>saddened for anyone caught up in it who have lost homes or loved ones but
>why would this cause the cost of fuel to rise. Oil won't cost more to
>drill in Middle East or refining. Is it not that ALL governments use
>fuel/oil as a form of insurance for the Global Economy. If we have a
>problem and we are short of a few dollars/pounds we will just 'up the cost'
>and raise some more spending money to sort it out or buy a few more bombs.
>
> Ibby

They use ANY excuse to put the prices up

The Chinese are buying all the oil.....(Did they only just discover cars
there?)
Theres a hurricane somewhere
Theres a riot in Nigeria
The Saudi king needs 10 new Mercedes.....

Governments don't care as they make a squillion out of it and politicians
don't buy petrol

Bryan