Windows Media Player 10

November 20, 2004 8:50:09 AM

Anyone know if/when MS will broadly release WMP10 for all PPC devices?

Thanx

More about : windows media player

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:13:32 AM

"Foo Fighter" <kent@NOSPAMpocketfactory.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know if/when MS will broadly release WMP10 for all PPC devices?
>
> Thanx

Windows Media Player 10 Mobile requires some OS integration only available
on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. To actually install this new player
on a device the user will need to flash the ROM, and this will be provided
by the manufacturer, not Microsoft.

So far only Dell (X30) and HP (rx37xx series) are releasing updates.

November 21, 2004 1:13:33 AM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

Guess that leaves me out then. I have an iPaq rx3100, which I think is non-
flashable.

> Windows Media Player 10 Mobile requires some OS integration only
> available on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. To actually install
> this new player on a device the user will need to flash the ROM, and
> this will be provided by the manufacturer, not Microsoft.
>
> So far only Dell (X30) and HP (rx37xx series) are releasing updates.

November 21, 2004 1:13:34 AM

I hesitate to tell you, but all PPCs are flashable. The question is whether
the OEM releases and upgrade or not. It is up to them.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>
> Guess that leaves me out then. I have an iPaq rx3100, which I think is
non-
> flashable.
>
> > Windows Media Player 10 Mobile requires some OS integration only
> > available on Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. To actually install
> > this new player on a device the user will need to flash the ROM, and
> > this will be provided by the manufacturer, not Microsoft.
> >
> > So far only Dell (X30) and HP (rx37xx series) are releasing updates.

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:14:12 PM

In message <uFEQBF1zEHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I hesitate to tell you, but all PPCs are flashable. The question is whether
> the OEM releases and upgrade or not. It is up to them.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Foo Fighter" <kent@NOSPAMpocketfactory.com> wrote in message
> > "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
> >
> > Guess that leaves me out then. I have an iPaq rx3100, which I think is
> non-
> > flashable.

The 3115 is flashable and the upgrade ROM that contains WMP10 is currently
available at HP's web site. I'm running it on my 3115 without any problems
so far.

Don

----
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:25:20 AM

"Donald E. Stidwell" <my@email.address> wrote in
news:o UUpJ5$zEHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> In message <uFEQBF1zEHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile
> Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The 3115 is flashable and the upgrade ROM that contains WMP10 is
> currently available at HP's web site. I'm running it on my 3115
> without any problems so far.

Where did you download a ROM update for the rx3115? I've seen one for the
rx3700 series, but not for my device.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:26:38 AM

Reply to message from Foo Fighter <kent@NOSPAMpocketfactory.com> (Mon, 22
Nov 2004 23:25:20) about ""Re: Windows Media Player 10"":

FF> "Donald E. Stidwell" <my@email. address> wrote in news: OUUpJ5$zEHA.
FF> 3336@TK2MSFTNGP11. phx.gbl:

>> In message <uFEQBF1zEHA.
>> 2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
>> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> The 3115 is flashable and the upgrade ROM that contains WMP10 is
>> currently available at HP's web site. I'm running it on my 3115 without
>> any problems so far.

FF> Where did you download a ROM update for the rx3115? I've seen one for
FF> the rx3700 series, but not for my device.

Foo - did you find it? I just followed the links on HP's web site.

Don

Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:24:06 -
0400

December 1, 2004 11:48:58 PM

Does WMP10 offer any advantages over WMP9 that are worth taking up RAM space
for? I'm curious as I thought the only real enhancement was those
picture-video-slideshows that MS came up with. Is there anything else?

Can WMP10 be installed on an HP 4155?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

"Donald E. Stidwell" <don.stidwell@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Reply to message from Foo Fighter <kent@NOSPAMpocketfactory.com> (Mon, 22
> Nov 2004 23:25:20) about ""Re: Windows Media Player 10"":
>
> FF> "Donald E. Stidwell" <my@email. address> wrote in news: OUUpJ5$zEHA.
> FF> 3336@TK2MSFTNGP11. phx.gbl:
>
> >> In message <uFEQBF1zEHA.
> >> 2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> >> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The 3115 is flashable and the upgrade ROM that contains WMP10 is
> >> currently available at HP's web site. I'm running it on my 3115 without
> >> any problems so far.
>
> FF> Where did you download a ROM update for the rx3115? I've seen one for
> FF> the rx3700 series, but not for my device.
>
> Foo - did you find it? I just followed the links on HP's web site.
>
> Don
>

> Bye
> Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:24:06 -
> 0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 11:48:59 PM

Worth it is up to the individual. It enhances the media synchronization when
paired with MP10 on the desktop, adding significant transcoding capability
for videos. It does not take up any RAM because it is only available as a
ROM update for a couple of devices, or pre-installed on some newer ones. You
needn't worry about the advantages though, as it is not available for the
4155. (I have one too)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!