Audigy 2 ZS repeating sounds then game crashes

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi guys and gals,
I have had my pc for over a year now and all of my games crash with the sounds heard last repeating them selfs then a crash. After that the computer ether reboots or do not and says the problem is with a device driver and says nothing other than that. I have tryed updating my sound card drivers and all other drives such as mobo dr. to bios dr. to clean boots which makes things worse. Could it be some other conflitting device or driver, maybe a start up icon, I've unselected load start up ether icons or programs. Please help I'm at the end of my rope! No not that rope :D

halcyon

Splendid
Can you give us a little more information, such as your system's specs? Are you doing any overclocking? How many other applications are running when the system is crashing, etc, etc.

Thx

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
P4 3GHZ 630 800MHZ FSB, 1GB 533MHZ ram, Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM, BFG 7800 GTX 256MB, Antec 550watt/PCI Express power conector, chipset 925X. Dell does not let you overclock their computers for fear of burning up your CPU, "then they would have to replace it so they prevent you from doing so." You can't even change your ram timings without some heavy modding which I will not do! :D

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
How do you install DX 9.0c? every time I install a new game it installs DX 9.0c for me. Do I need to install DX 9.0c on every device seperatly, if so how?

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Most probably this isn't a soundcard issue.
That repeating sound is very common when games get "stuck" (buffer underrun/needs to spin up disk to find missing data) or crash.
Might as well be your video driver.
What video card are you using?
EDIT: see you wrote that. However, still try the videocard drivers and dx9.
Or maybe something's overheating and shutting down the system? Is the cpu fan working? Is the thermal paste between the cpu and hsf still there?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I have my friends that have the same problem and they have differant hardware. One friend has the new xfi he has the same problem with an ATI. It seems that this problem will never be solve!!! Creative support has failed at any attemt to fix it, part off their problem is they love point the finger at everyone else, and that just pisses me off! Would somebody out there please give Creative some sevear competition so they suffer their own ignorance! I reduced my hardware accelleration and the repeating sounds were gone but my pc still crashed, "so that at lease tells me that Creative is the problem".

halcyon

Splendid
Don't be to quick to decide that it is a soundcard problem and house Creative for being irresponsible and making crappy drivers...this issue may have nothing to do with them.

Didn't you say you have friends that are having the same issue, yet they have different soundcards? If I did understand you to say that correctly, then I'd wonder what you and your friends have in common (ie, you're playing the same game???? ...if so...are there any patches for the game?)

Re-installing DX9c...hmmm...

try this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en

...and sadly, "The DirectX 9.0c runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users turn on a "System Restore" point before installing. For information on turning on a restore point, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
Windows Millennium Edition: Microsoft Knowledge Base article 267951.
Windows XP: Microsoft Knowledge Base article 310405.
"

I would try re-installing it to see if that has any positive impact

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Have you tried getting the latest patches for your games? Also you may want to check your card's IRQ to see if it is being shared by other devices. I've seen dail-up modems, tv tuner cards and NIC cards all cause issues with sound.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I recently upgraded my chipset/bios drivers and that solved my repeating sounds and crashes... I also am using Nvidia's beta driver 91.31 which I must say is working quite well, but I have no clue which driver fixed most of my problems. But I'm still get missing sound fx's, NPC's lips are moving with no voices/ maybe its a problem with that game it is quite new. As far as IRQ's or NIC I have no clue what you are talking about? The only things I have in my computer is my graphics card, sound card, and wireless internet card which is disabled when I'm not on the net. My computer only has two purposes in life, one is gaming and the other is internet that's it. :D