Pentium D 805 - Loud Fan

toiday

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
I read the report and got a good deal on the D805 + Mobo combo @ Fry's. I notice right away that the CPU fan is too loud. I open the case and try to stop the fan for a second, the loud sound disappear. I have my PC in the family room but I can hear it from the kitchen. I wonder if I got a defective fan or that's the way it is. Please let me know in case I have to exchange for another one. Thanks!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Oh I have a pretty good idea of which one (cursed article). I'm just wondering if the OP just didn't wildly OC their system causing the poor fan to spin full throttle therefore causing the extra noise.

I read the report and got a good deal on the D805 + Mobo combo @ Fry's. I notice right away that the CPU fan is too loud. I open the case and try to stop the fan for a second, the loud sound disappear. I have my PC in the family room but I can hear it from the kitchen. I wonder if I got a defective fan or that's the way it is. Please let me know in case I have to exchange for another one. Thanks!

in the bios theres options to allow the fan to spin down to lower speeds - even celeron fans are noisy as unless the options set.

You can get a zalman "fan mate" rpm adjuster for about $6. It works with any 3 pin header. I set mine at about 2500-2800, which still provides adequate cooling at the default settings. I can barely hear the fan at this speed.