P5N32-SLI Deluxe ,fried by wrong onboard connection

icon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
I have just built a new system on the P5N32-SLI Deluxe

The thing ran fine for over a week until I had POST issues , these were intermittent at first then the problem became permanent.

I took the Mobo to my supplier who advised me that the mobo is now broken and the issue may have been an ANTEC fan sensor …this fan comes with the case which plugs back into the PSU then you plug the sensor into the mobo .

Both the manufacturer of Antek and Asus state that this is ok but the distributor disagrees.

The advice I was given seems absurd, but is it possible to fry the mobo by this alone ?

Also , is it possible to fry a mobo with such devices as a faulty scanner (keeping in mind that USB connections for these are only in milliamps )
Is it possible that a faulty card reader or an optical drive may cause a mobo to fry.

These questions may seems odd but I have a distributor that is trying to pull the wool over my eyes, so I’d like to be 100% sure.

Has anyone else had any issues with the P5N32-SLI Deluxe , are these things easy to kill ?

Please help

Many thanx

Icon

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
sounds odd that a sensor input on the motherboard would fry without the psu giving signs of failure .Like smoke !
this board has a long history of problems for such a short lived life.
no post no video on this board usually is the loss of pci X slot 1 (blue)
the video card will work in pci x slot 2 (black).
random reboots
overclock errors without overclocking.
Bios problems are just now being addressed for most issues.
the biggest problem is the Nforce drivers.
just rma the board and get a new psu if you question it.
Like going to the doctor.
you need a second opinion
the first sucks.
email asus support.
Good luck

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Im not suprised because this is a very unstable MB....

Things on this MB get way too hot in my opnion NB and SB soo hot you cant touch em!

Always reboot for no reason or freeze in windows or press the power button and wont even post!

The latest BIOS for this board 0310 is still crap it does not tell the correct CPU temp (my 960 is at 20 deg c believe it or not)

Ive heard of PCIe lanes that dont work (fresh out of the box)

I wouldnt use ANTC with this MB... apparently they have issues.... go check out antc website if you wish.

The MB has massive power problems undervolts CPU (out of box)

I hope Asus gets their act together and make a proper BIOS to address the issues.... its been a month or so now.... no news

Good luck (you WILL need it)

icon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Thanx kwalker and wun911

I managed to get the distributor to replace it ......now the relpacement mobo (still the pN320sli) seems to either hang the system or ..shut it's self down.

I guess this is normal from what you guys have said ?? ...also , ASUS web site states that the 930D CPU I have is ok for the 3010 Bios ,however, the distributor still needed to flash the dam thing before it would POST.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
your PC distributer / shop is farkin nice because I had to flash my bios my self or they would charge me to 70 bucks to flash it! With 70 bucks can buy cheap ass 755 CPU and flash it my self!

Oh the other thing try goin to one stick of ram it improves stability... once you have it stable and installed windows tweeked bios.... install the second stick of RAM (not dual channel at first) and see if it is more stable...

Also I found that installing the graphics card in the blue slot works better because GPU info now goes through the NB and the SB is more free... (The SB is more prone to heat issues)

Good luck!

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
if the board replacement shipped with 0212 bios and was flashed to 0310 you will have to clear cmos and do a fresh load of the operating system .then drivers and updates.
0310 is a major bios update and will cause stability issues in most cases.
the same will apply to the 0312 just released on asus web site.this bios has cured a lot of problems with the P5N32 Sli deluxe mobo.
the Primary graphics slot is the blue pci-e X16 slot .
the black is for an identical card with the same gpu for sli.
the second card can have different clock speeds but must be the same gpu.
for stable operation of this mobo do not use auto settings.except ram timings.
set your fsb manually .and memory clock speeds to match fsb keeping the max speed as close to rated ram speed.
the vcore auto settings are for stock cpu clocks and has in some cases caused system hang and reboots.
rule of thumb .
the D9XX cpu operates at 1.2 to 1.3 volts.
intel lists max as 1.375 volts. and no need to quote absolute minumum .
but absolute max is 1.55 volts.
this should give you an idea of your overhead.
with good cooling you can use just over 1.41 volts. anything over I woluld use water cooling .
good luck with that board.
keep us up to date

icon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Thanx for that guys/gals

I haven’ touched the system other than leaving it on the “ NOS” setting (ASUS control panel ) which is the auto system for performance.

I’ve spend days loading windows and all my other programs so installing a fresh OS is will have to be one of my last options.

I know that when I got the replacement mobo , I had to reload my Ethernet drivers , would you recommend reloading my mobo chipset drivers over the current ones ? is this something I need to do even thought it’s the same model/brand board or are the driver placing unique to each mobo.

I haven’t had a hang up in the last 24 hours (not to say it won’t happen) If it does …I’ll do what you recommend with the voltage on the cpu .

Last thing …this might seem like an amateurish question, but what are benefits of upping the vcore settings …will it enhance performance such as when you do by upping the clock speed ?

Many thanx

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I am now 100% sure that the P5N32 SLI deluxe is not compatible with the Lain Li PC V 1000.

The SB temps are hot because heat pipe technology does not work upside down!

Be warned if you want this MB chose a different PC case or you will have to buy after market SB coolers