Sign in with
Your question

How can I keep Dust out of Fans?

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2006 4:35:26 PM

Hi. I have 5 computers in my home and Dust is a big problem. The CPU fans and chipset fans always seem to get cloged with dust or hair or I dont know what, and they start making loud noises, soulds like.......
rrrrrrrrhrrrrrrhrrrrhhhrrrr...
Ive actually had one processor burn out becaause of what I can only asume was the fan getting cloged and stoped spinning.

Ive tried canned air but it dosnt work that well. Am I wrong to asume its dust?
I dont have the side panel on my computer, is this why this happens?
What are other solutions? If its a hair in the fan, then what can i do?

Thanks!

More about : dust fans

June 13, 2006 4:54:29 PM

I am going to take a shot and say yes, it's the fact that you don't have the side panel on your computer. You can usually find some filters that will fit over the fans on your computer but they will reduce air flow so take that into consideration.
June 13, 2006 4:56:39 PM

like the above poster, use filters.
Related resources
June 13, 2006 4:59:57 PM

If you want to run without the side panel on your computer, as I do, you should invest in an inexpensive air compressor. Itll save you money on that canned air, as it must be frequently used to keep dust and such out of it.

And yes, the sound is the sound of excessive dust. Problem is, the fan is probably shot if it is making that noise. Solution: get a new fan, and keep it cleaner in the future.
June 13, 2006 5:10:27 PM

Quote:
Hi. I have 5 computers in my home and Dust is a big problem. The CPU fans and chipset fans always seem to get cloged with dust or hair or I dont know what, and they start making loud noises, soulds like.......
rrrrrrrrhrrrrrrhrrrrhhhrrrr...
Ive actually had one processor burn out becaause of what I can only asume was the fan getting cloged and stoped spinning.

Ive tried canned air but it dosnt work that well. Am I wrong to asume its dust?
I dont have the side panel on my computer, is this why this happens?
What are other solutions? If its a hair in the fan, then what can i do?

Thanks!

Only one way to keep dust out...put it in a plastic bag.
Problem with that idea is you could never use the computer.

The "or what" are cobwebs from daddy-long-legs!

The best way to clean out the computer is to use a pipecleaner and a 1" paintbrush to remove the matted layer on the top of your cpu HS and "rub lose" the rest of the dust with the paint brush. Use the brush on ALL the surface of the MB as well.
Now blow out the dust with a can of air.

A can of air should be able to clean about 50 computers doing things this way.

Z
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2006 2:40:25 AM

How about reducing the amount of dust in the room?

Ever considered getting a HEPA air filter, or an Ionic Breeze for the room?
June 14, 2006 3:41:42 AM

Ionizors have been proven to be worse for your health than not even using them (I'll try to find the article), just go with a hepa circulator.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2006 4:45:41 AM

Quote:
Ionizors have been proven to be worse for your health than not even using them (I'll try to find the article), just go with a hepa circulator.

Are you referring to the fact that they release small amounts of ozone to ward off oders? And even small amounts of ozone can be an irritant to some people especially asthma?
June 14, 2006 6:17:02 AM

That sounds about right, and it said something about putting too much ozone into the air being an actual health risk.
June 14, 2006 6:47:14 AM

The short answer to this question truly is.....there's no "practical" way to prevent dust from getting inside your PC, unless it's "totally" passively cooled, and even then as one poster stated, spiders, etc. will find your mobo and HS's very interesting. :?
June 14, 2006 6:58:23 AM

One idea I've read before is to use those scented sheets for the tumble drier. The microscopic holes work as good as a fan filter if you can attach them right, and it'll smell nice. The organic smells are extremely volatile (i.e. they evaporate easily), and the chemicals themselves are realtively dipole less and covalent (won't break into ions easily and short circuit stuff).

Unless anyone can prove otherwise =D
June 15, 2006 1:49:15 AM

why not use the already used dryer sheets? (what ever they are called)

when they get out of the dryer use them.
June 15, 2006 5:21:11 AM

I buy large furnace filters, the not too dense variety, and cut them up, then just tape down the corners with packing tape. You can get alot of filters out of them and they last a lot longer than dryer sheets since they are 1/4" thick or so.
June 15, 2006 7:06:50 AM

I did some reading that i could use Sowing Machine Oil to put on the fan motor and an it would spin better, stop making noise. But dont use WD-40.
Went to Sowing store (Joean Fabrics) and they had Sowing machine oil and it said on bottle, good for computers.
I would provide link, but im tired.

And I got an air filter, but Im not convinced its doing anything other than making more noise, which was the problem to begin with.
June 15, 2006 7:19:16 AM

Quote:
I did some reading that i could use Sowing Machine Oil to put on the fan motor and an it would spin better, stop making noise. But dont use WD-40.
Went to Sowing store (Joean Fabrics) and they had Sowing machine oil and it said on bottle, good for computers.

And I got an air filter, but Im not convinced its doing anything other than making more noise, which was the problem to begin with.
That's a great idea. Now the dust and lint won't stick to your heatsink anymore...it'll stick to all the oil that got flung around inside your case...sort of like a dirt magnet. :wink:
June 15, 2006 3:05:33 PM

Quote:

thats sewing to u, but yes i understand, good idea.
June 15, 2006 3:38:56 PM

First off, using a vacuum for the bulk of your dust/ dirt is always preferable to using any form of compressed air. Compressed air tends to blow dust underneath and into components, while a vacuum actually removes it from the system. And when I say "vacuum", I highly recommend a zero-static technician vac, not your household Hoover.

One of the main components of household dust is actually dead skin and pet dander. So, if dust is excessive, have all your pets euthanized. Just kidding, but do consider moving your case off the ground or installing filters.

As far as filters, dryer sheets are really good, but when the are new, the "pores" are clogged with smell-nice stuff, and heavily restrict airflow. So use them after they've given their all with your clothes in the dryer, please.

The best tactic? Vacuum out your system at least once every three months. And yes, you may have to disassemble your CPU heatsink and run it through the dishwasher once in a while.
June 15, 2006 4:15:46 PM

Quote:
And yes, you may have to disassemble your CPU heatsink and run it through the dishwasher once in a while.

That's veeeerd.
June 15, 2006 4:29:57 PM

dishwasher??.......yah i dont think so
June 15, 2006 5:32:06 PM

I have heard of pantyhose being used as a filter before, but I have never tried it myself.
June 15, 2006 5:45:55 PM

I would think that the pantyhose would cause an abnormally large amount of static. Aren't they made of nylon or something?
June 15, 2006 5:56:37 PM

I'd say to stick with a furnace filter, pantyhose, dryer sheets, they are only a single layer boundry, once dirt passes through some of the holes, it's in your system. Furnace filters are layered, they stop A LOT more dust.

I use after-run oil (model gas car engine stuff) and put a single drop under the sticker on the fan, gently pull it away and make sure the oil doesn't get on the label or the surface the label sticks to, then restick the label and you have a newely lubed fan. After-run oil is slightly thinker than sewing machine oil and lasts much longer.
June 15, 2006 6:00:15 PM

If they are that bad take them outside and use your weed blower, at a distance. I did one one time you would swear you were in a west texas dust storm. The you can do the fine cleaning.

You use whats availble for you. Just don't clean them in side with any thing thats gets the dust air borne. or your defeating your purpose.
June 15, 2006 6:00:20 PM

but the better the filter the less the airflow.
June 15, 2006 6:04:18 PM

Not with these though, you have a 1/4" to 1/2" thick sheet that is very loose, the air will go through multiple layers just as well as a single layer of dryer sheet, it disperses more but that can actually help get air circulating to the hot spots that a more directed airflow misses. The same amount of air will still get through.
!