X850XT or 7600GT?

AMP

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
Im in the process of spec'ing out a new system. I have all of my components selected but it seems that I keep running across things that keeps me seconding guessing. I have been set on the 7600GT, see here, for a while now. And today I come across the X850Xt, see here, which has more pipelines and has a 256mb memory interface. I have never really been a big fan of ATI so im still leaning towards the Nvidia card. Both cards are in my budget, I just cant decide on what the better purchase would be. You guys are the experts, so tell me what I should spend my hard-earned money on. :)

The ATi might outperform in some situations (and even many select situations), however for performance and features I would be looking more towards a GF7600GT for a future build because you're beginning to see some larger implementation of greater features that are supported in the GF7600GT and not the X800 (like OpenEXR HDR) and with the move to future looking titles and limited fallback support probably by 2007, then you might find the gap widening between the feature sets of the two in the near future (even the move to primary FP32 in 2K7).

Right now they're very close for performance winning and losing somewhat equally and maybe even favouring the X850XT. But the GF7600GT has far more potential IMO and would be my recommendation for a new build that won't be refreshed for a year or two.

AMP

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
I just read another thread about the two cards, here, and I guess it seems that both are nice cards. Still doesnt help me out though. :(

AMP

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
I have read many threads on this board where Ape's advice has been taken over and over again. With that being said, Im gonna go with the 7600GT. Plus, EVGA has a nice stepup program so when I plan to upgrade I can use this card towards a newer one. Thanks for the advice Ape!

No problemo, I'm more cautious with other people's money than my own (I bought one of THESE (but Bruins) on Saturday, returned it last night and buying a PSP tonight 8O ).

The thing to remember about eVGA's step-up program is that it's only for 3 months. I don't see you buying a replacement for that within 3 months that'll be worth the money, unless they get the mid-range G8x series out early September. If that's the case then you're GOLDEN and it's awesome!

Either way eVGA is a solid company, with a good warranty, and even the hint of the possibility of using that step up program for a G8X replacement for the GF7600 is worth the shot (doesn't really cost you anything other than maybe the 'eVGA premium (similar to BFG/HIS/etc premiu of quality parts).

I think you'll be pretty happy with the purchase. It's pretty solid.
You could consider the X1800GTO, but I haven't seen any in that price range, so no point in pick A over B, and at least with this there is that off chance that nV gets the G8 series to market for the fall back to school time for you. So keep your eye on Sept 13-15th I guess. :twisted:

Enjoy!

EDITED linky no workeee (add link to mini puck video player, the 'THESE was not a GF7600GT sorry if that was confusing).

I wouldn't consider the X1800GTO now that the X1800XT can be had for $220.

Depends on pricing of course. The $220 is nice and the GTO has been $180 so it's definitely worth the $40, but like I said it's a bit more money so it's a sticking point. The GF7600GT is only $20 more than the X850XT so it's worth it, $70 more for an X1800XT is a harder sell, despite maybe being worth it in some cases.

Notice that's actually the same one he links to. Hence my saying it's a better deal than the GTOs when seen in that light.

The end results is it's a good deal, and I doubt he'll regret it other than the "hey 6-7 months later it's either A) cheaper or B) I could get X for the same money" feeling, and really that happens to just about everything.

A $160 dollar hockey puck 8O

Actually it was on sale for $99, so it was an 'attractive' deal at the time, but it's not even the size of a hockey puck so the screen is smaller than a stamp!

Yeah, now who's makin' fun! :lol:

Anywhoo, after that tiny thing the screen on the PSP looks huge. On the train this morning I watched a few Chris rock skits, some iFilm stuff (watched Trooper Clerks again). Love the fact that it can access my WiFi connection at home and the open (but restricted slow) one at work. Handy.

EDIT: Oh yeah and ther'll be a version of Oblivion coming out for the PSP too, soo my plan is now complete! That and the wicked pr0n! :mrgreen:

Hey the hockey puck did come with an Official NHL video of the best Goals/Saves/Checks of the last playoffs (2004) which was a slick video. I kept a copy of that! :twisted:

[rant]Anywhoo, if anyone else sees one of those hockey puck video players avoid it, it's MP3 player is mediocre, the video is crap, the only thing it does well is the FM tunner and a $99 FM tuner, never even during the first walkman days would I pay that much for just that! [/rant]

stim

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't think that my question warrants its own thread, because this one is already here. :)

I was looking at getting either the 7600GT or the X850XT PE. Would you still recommend the 7600GT over the premium edition X850XT?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the X850XT and the X850XT PE?

babbler

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Probably the biggest difference would be the shader model support. The X850XT supports shader model 2.0b, whereas the 7600GT supports shader model 3.0. Comparing to other ATI cards in the 1k range, e.g., 1600xt, the x850xt doesn't have HDR support either.

If shader model 3.0 and HDR support are important to you, then the 7600GT would be the better purchase. This would also future proof your investment for at least the next few big title releases.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
On the train this morning I watched a few Chris rock skits, some iFilm stuff (watched Trooper Clerks again). Love the fact that it can access my WiFi connection at home and the open (but restricted slow) one at work. Handy.
You're making me want one :oops:

[rant]Anywhoo, if anyone else sees one of those hockey puck video players avoid it, [/rant]
It's a good thing you told me, I had my checkbook out.... :roll:

:wink: