using regular phone as voip device with regular modem?

Last response: in Networking
March 21, 2005 4:07:26 PM

Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
(sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
the telephone to wave?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:29:35 PM

> Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
> (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
> modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
> the telephone to wave?

Very few modems are able to work this way even if you have the software to
do this. Best bet is a special usb phone or a phone adapter that connects
your phone to the internet without a computer. Digium modem cards and
asterisk is the reason the answer is not "no". This is way more than most
people want to do and adapters/usb phones can be found for less than $100
usd.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:12:59 AM

If it's a regular telephone then you need to use an ATA device. This
provides a 'dial tone' to a regular telephone. Also know as an FXS port.
They're generally around $90. Others can be had that will connect an old
phone to the USB port of a PC. These are around $50 but require the PC be
running to use the phone, whereas an ATA is stand-alone.

A 'old dial up modem' has little use for VoIP activities.

"hygum" <thomashygum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
> (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
> modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
> the telephone to wave?

March 22, 2005 6:11:04 AM

"hygum" <thomashygum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
> (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
> modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
> the telephone to wave?

Maybe you could adapt an old handset from an analog phone and plug it into
the microphone and speaker jacks on a full-duplex sound card. That, with
the softphone software might work. I haven't seen any information that
indicates that VOIP is doable with a standard dial-up connection though.
That said, I would just get a cheap headset instead of trying to reinvent
the wheel, especially since the weak link will be the dial-up connection.

You could always download one of the free softphones and give it a try with
your dial-up line.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:54:34 AM

I will prefer use my old phone instead of a headset - the phone is made
for the purpose. I will try making it go into the sound jacks
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:51:56 PM

> I will prefer use my old phone instead of a headset - the phone is made
> for the purpose. I will try making it go into the sound jacks

The headset about 600 ohms should work ok on the soundcard but the mic if
carbon element may need some matching.

This has some good ideas:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/teleinterface.html#in...
!