What competition are you dorks referring to?

crostvei

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I bet most of you have no idea how AMD was started...

Well...

Take Intels best engineers back in the 70's, and piss them off, let them defect to some other company... AMD.

Did you also know that AMD was subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws?

Now their investment appears to be too much competition for them. I am sure that Intel did not invest without partial ownership in the company.

I bet the higher "ups" at Intel laugh when people cry about which processor is better,, I am willing to bet they own most of both companies.

So, next time you want to cry about which processor is better, just think, they already have the technology for 7 or 8 new types of processors down the road. They will soak you for every step up from where they are now when if it was a true competition, these processors we have now would be old old news.

Quit crying.

The difference between a dork and a nerd: nerds are interesting, dorks are whiners.

crostvei

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
well u posted here..ur a dork too. on top of that you are a dumbass, mod. please lock and ban.

"Well" "you" you're" ". On"

Please correct your grammar so that I do not have to.

Also, I bet the mods have some kind of "Terms of Agreement" that state users that use offensive "slang terms" like "dumbass" are subject to a user delete and ban.

Correction, I am a nerd, I refrain from crying. I do, however, like to correct the incompetent. I won't always correct spelling mistakes, because everyone makes them, but your command of the english language is well, how do I say, amazing.

Muso

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Lock and ban? Why, isn't this a welcome change from all of the fanboy flame wars?

Even though it's an unfounded conspiracy-type theory, it's still interesting. If I cared a little more I would do some research into whether or not Intel owns the majority of shares in AMD (doubtful), or any at all (much more probable).

I think this is an interesting subject, and should not be immediately flamed just because it insults someone who obviously has some insecurities about their social status.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
8O Saying he didn't capitalize the first word in a sentence, is very dorky.
Especially, in a forum environment of computer geeks.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

{...}
...your command of the english language is well, how do I say, amazing.

LOLOL. Thanks for the laugh. Let me step in and knock you from your high horse a second...

"I bet most of you have no idea how AMD was started... "
Should end in period, not ellipsis.

"Well... "
Sentance Fragment, more misuse of ellipsis.

"Take Intels best engineers back in the 70's, and piss them off, let them defect to some other company... AMD. "

Intels should be "Intel's." It is posessive. Again, misuse of ellipsis before AMD. It should be a colon or semi-colon.

"Did you also know that AMD got subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws. "

This sentance should end with a question mark.

"Now thier investment appears to be too much competition for them. I am sure that Intel did not invest without partial ownership in the company. "

Thier is misspelled. It's Their. Also, you're referring to a proper known that doesn't belong in the same paragraph, so you're supposed to refer to the noun directly.

"I bet the higher ups at Intel laugh when people cry about whos processor is better, since I bet they mostly own both companies. "

Where do I begin? "Ups" is not a word. Whos should be whose.

Billy bad-ass needs to go back to school before he starts correcting people.

mpjesse

Splendid
Take Intels best engineers back in the 70's, and piss them off, let them defect to some other company... AMD.

Did you also know that AMD got subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws.

Jackass:

Did you just make all that up?

1st off... AMD was spun off from a group of engineers from FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR. Not intel. In fact, both Gordon Moore and Jerry Sanders worked for Fairchild.

2nd, AMD was never subsidized by Intel. All Intel did (back in the 80's) was have AMD make 8086, 8088, and 80286 processors under a licensing agreement. AMD was in effect a 2nd source for the manufacturing of INTEL chips. And that's hardly significant... plenty of companies do that today. And it's NOT subsidizing.

3rd... [G]DIE NEWBIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!![/G]

(and get your facts straight before posting in here)

I bet most of you have no idea how AMD was started...

Did you also know that AMD got subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws.

Must have been a while ago. Can't find anything on Google about it. Got a link?

If it did happen I would guess that it is for a relatively small amount of shares. Similar to when Microsoft infused Apple with some need cash a few years ago.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Its true Intel does own 90% of AMD *snickers a little* thats why I just bought almost 10K in stock in Intel as soon as they announce that they will be removing the AMD label from there marketing division it should be worth a small fortune !!! *cries laughing*

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I try not to react to certain things. I really do. However, I can't resist this:
"I bet the higher ups at Intel laugh when people cry about whos processor is better, since I bet they mostly own both companies. "

I think you misread. Whos should be who's. Its possessive. Also, higher ups is a plural (and misspelling) of higher-up. That is a commonly used term - at least I've seen it used for 20-some years. Why other dictionaries don't have it I don't know. I mean, "ain't" is in a dictionary now...

One who gripes should check their post to make sure there's nothing to be griped back at. :)

Mike.

- The only poster who leaves deliberate spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors in his posts to give responders something to complain about.
modified and paraphrased from the tagline of "On the Bi-Level" the newsletter of METRA, in Chicago.

PS: I see at least 3 in my post. How many can you find?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Its true Intel does own 90% of AMD *snickers a little* thats why I just bought almost 10K in stock in Intel as soon as they announce that they will be removing the AMD label from there marketing division it should be worth a small fortune !!! *cries laughing*

Edit: Weird double post ? with another post in the middle ??? ahh well :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
What MPJesse said...

I may disagree with its significance (they have full rights to the 386-level x86 instruction set...), but otherwise, dead on.

Mike.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

{...}

LOLOL. Thanks for the laugh. Let me step in and knock you from your high horse a second...

"Well... "

"Take Intels best engineers back in the 70's, and piss them off, let them defect to some other company... AMD. "

Intels should be "Intel's." It is posessive. Again, misuse of ellipsis before AMD. It should be a colon or semi-colon.

"Did you also know that AMD got subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws. "

"Now thier investment appears to be too much competition for them. I am sure that Intel did not invest without partial ownership in the company. "

Thier is misspelled. It's Their. Also, you're referring to a proper known that doesn't belong in the same paragraph, so you're supposed to refer to the noun directly.

LOL. But he does know when to capitalized. And that you're is a
contraction for "you are". But he lost me, when he states that you have to use the contraction form. I must be a dumba** also.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I really don't want to get into a grammar war, because we're all guilty of using poor grammar in online posts, myself included.

At any rate allow me to correct you :)

"Whose" is the posessive form of Who. "Who's" can only mean "Who is". Pronouns themselves cannot be posessive.

You're right: "Higher-ups" is considered a word. I can't keep track of all new dictionary additions (and unlike most I don't google/reference everything to make a point). "Higher-ups" would normally be considered a phrase which cannot be pluralized.

Again, though, it's not the point. I was trying to prove that although he edited his 2nd post well, he was in no position to be critisizing.

crostvei

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006

{...}

"Well... "

First...
"An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence. Ellipses are sometimes used in this manner for internet chat, email, and forum posts". (Wikipedia)

The use of ellipsis is an entirely different conversation. I could say that you are wrong, but I will refrain from taking that road. Many different people have different opinions on how and where to use them, but in general, anytime you are making a break in your conversation they can be used, and they get the point across.

Second.
You're right, the question mark should be in place of the period, I stand corrected.

Third.
Like I said, I do not correct people for spelling mistakes, so piss off on the spelling :).

Fourth:
Ups is not a word, and should be put in quotation marks. You're Right. The useage did get the message across.

crostvei

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006

Nice Mr. Deane, Very nice!

I would like to know who is making processors for all the IPods and hand-held gaming devices. That would be worth some money, or possibly the hard drives for these units as well.

With the recent news of Seagate dismantling Maxtor, I bet they are making a power play to get more of the micro-drive buisness.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

Nice Mr. Deane, Very nice!

I would like to know who is making processors for all the IPods and hand-held gaming devices. That would be worth some money, or possibly the hard drives for these units as well.

With the recent news of Seagate dismantling Maxtor, I bet they are making a power play to get more of the micro-drive buisness.

LOL. OMG I can't type.... laughing too hard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This guy has got to be a joke... Maybe it's MMM having some fun.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Did you also know that AMD was subsidized by Intel Corporation so that Intel could avoid being a monopoly and other anti-trust laws?

I don't believe this be true and please correct me if I am wrong. According to this reliable source, AMD was created by a group of defectors from Fairchild Semiconductor (the article says nothing of anyone leaving Intel to goto work with AMD). At first AMD only produced logic chips and RAM but later reversed engineered an Intel 8080 compatible chip 1975. It wasn't until 1982 when AMD became licensed to produce Intel chips. Intel allowed AMD to do this because in order to get IBM to use 8088 processors in their computers, it required a second source for its chip, thus Intel let AMD produce chips for them. Anyways a few years pass, the agreement with IBM breaks, any Intel tells AMD that they no longer will be producing chips on their behalf. That doesn't mean AMD license to produce Intel clone chips has gone away. When clone chips start selling Intel gets pissed and sues. AMD retains the rights to produce x86 capable processors and the rest is history. It had nothing to do with being a monopoly epecially with other big cometors like Texas Instruments and Motorola during this time. At this time Intel wasn't nearly as big as it is today.

If anything I said here is untrue please post a link proving me wrong as I would like to know.

I do agree with you entirely about chip makers having new technologies ready for release long before they actually are released, but that’s business. If I could make millions off milking each improvement to processors by waiting a few months then I would be doing the same thing. Each manufacture has taken the lead then fallen behind over the years and it bound to continue to happen. I don't get upset over this because there is nothing I can do except look at who has the lead at the moment upgrade accordingly.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
but your command of the english language is well, how do I say, amazing.
Do not dare correct people who succumb to their grammatical inferiorities while you Sir, do not do your entire forum post correctly. You are a hypocrite, I implore you to leave these forums and never return. The English language is something I will not tolerate to be bastardized by someone who enters my forum and insults my fellow members after he has just joined. Infuriating!

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Apple iPods use the PortalPlayer chipset and source its construction to Hon Hai in Taiwan(TAIWAN FTW!!!). The Hard Drives come from Hitachi.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Intel has bought out AMD several times by now, but they didnt get "real" stocks (which means that they dont own a single percent of AMD) they just had to help AMD otherwise Intel would have been split up (just like M$ few years ago).

Many AMD Fanpois tend to overlook this fact (obviously).