Need good 5.1 speaker reccommendation plz

Tesla

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
So, my parents being the generous people they are, after some persuasion will pay for new speakers for me (because i passed exams) Now the old ones are ok, Altec Lansing 251 if that means anything to anyone, its the only number i could find on emm. But the problem with them is i cant put the "wave" or "MIDI synth" settings from the bottom left tray icon up more than half way, otherwise the artillery in bf2 will make them crackle a lot, and some music will also have the same effect. Also these speakers cant be put up to full volume as at that level the sound of whatever i was listening to becomes unrecogniseable.

So... what i need:

- 5.1 or better speaker system, i think 7.1 is a bit too much but hey i dont mind an extra 2 speakers
- Loud whilest maintaining quality is a priority
- Digital? Dunno, but digitals more modern than analog so i guess my new ones should be digital
- Full volume from ALL speakers, i forgot to mention my current ones back-left and back-right only put out about 1/3 of the sound that the main two put out, there is no setting that will alleviate this, its simply the way they are.
- Durable, its not a requirement.... but it would be nice since the ones i have are pretty hardy, they can and do survive getting dropped.

This will be paired up with an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, my budget is around £140, well thats the parents budget i can stretch it a bit myself. I could go higher if needed, im not an audiophile though i just like listening to really loud music with bass 80's dance and pop mainly, with some club stuff.

How are the following?

Logitech Z5450
Logitech Z5500
Logitech Z5400
Creative GigaWorks 5.1 G500

AC3STAR

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
I've been using the Logitech Z5500 for sometime now and they are top notch. More power then almost anyone could ever need for a computer system. Plus they have multiple inputs so if you wanted you could hook it up to your TV, DVD player or whatever you have that ability. It has a ton of bass, clear highs and good midrange.

I'm not completely sure what the price is in the UK for these but you can often find these on sale for quite cheap at retailers (sometimes around $299 CDN) so I would think that you could probably find the same out there.

I can't comment on the other speaker sets but I'm sure that any one of them would fulfill what you're looking for. But your best bet is to go to a store and try out the ones you're looking at and see what they sound like.

GL on finding a set you like.

TH

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I've been using the Logitech Z5500 for sometime now and they are top notch. More power then almost anyone could ever need for a computer system. Plus they have multiple inputs so if you wanted you could hook it up to your TV, DVD player or whatever you have that ability. It has a ton of bass, clear highs and good midrange.

I second that. Also the Z-5500 are the ONLY speakers with a built in digital decoder. The only durability issue I can see is when I had Z-5300s the 'legs' on the speaker stand felt flimsy and one did break from falling. The Z-5500s look like they use the same plastic and simliar speaker stand design, however the plastic is much thicker and wider. You will NOT be dissapointed with the Z-5500s. I promise you that.

Tesla

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
General Audio Thread=

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=30&threadid=1810562&enterthread=y

Heh, i came over here because i couldnt find the "sound" forum on anandtech, useful post though thanks.

Ive decided tha Z5500's would be great for me, a 27kg sub sounds awsome, and i read a review saying the reviewers deaf neighbour complained about the noise hahaha. Primarily because pictures were falling off the walls etc, not that she found she could hear anything.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

I'm not completely sure what the price is in the UK for these but you can often find these on sale for quite cheap at retailers (sometimes around $299 CDN) so I would think that you could probably find the same out there.

I can't comment on the other speaker sets but I'm sure that any one of them would fulfill what you're looking for. But your best bet is to go to a store and try out the ones you're looking at and see what they sound like.

GL on finding a set you like.

TH

I am from the UK and I went for the most mad choice to buy a set of speakers. I looked on http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/5_1_Speakers.html
I saw the most powerful speakers at 1000Watt and thought, hell arent they so cool.

I chose 5.1 instead of 7.1 for a few reasons
nothing really supports true 7.1 surround (no DVDs I have seen or games or anything for that matter, tell me if something does)
When you play 5.1 sound it just splits it up anyway
Too many speakers, not enough room.

I couldnt agree more with AC3STAR and when he says its got tons of bass. He aint lying. I connected it up to the Xbox360 with an optical lead and played War of the Worlds through it at max volume.
Something everyone has go to hear. The sound doesnt even distort, it vibrated my little room so much it felt like the Strider was actually outside thumping on the ground.

Basically this system wont fail to impress.

It supports DTS THX and 5.1 Dolby digital , I dont know of any others (also 24 bit sound).
The connections AC3 was on about are the following

1 x Optical Digital connection (makes major difference to sounf quality over every other connection I have tried)
1 x Coaxial Digital in (similar to optical but not as cool)
1 x Direct input (3 connections for the surround sound effect on a sound card) - this is where you would plug in your MP3 player and most audio devices. This is the only connection that a cable is supplied for.

There are different modes for the sounds too

When you have direct input you can choose
6 ch direct (for sound card output)
Stereo (only uses two front speakers and sub woofer for bass)
Stereo x 2 (same as stereo except duplicates front right and left with rear left and right)
Pro logic movie mode (some how suits movies)
Pro logic music mode (definately suits music)

When you connect with optical connection the mode is automatically selected

I am back and I had my appendix taken out so its been like a week since I last saw this page.

I guy further down is buying them because he cant find any disadvantages with them.
Sound wise I cant either BUT here it comes
:arrow: Physically the woofer is massive (bigger than my dads home cinema system for living room) making it weigh a ton
:arrow: Along side that you need to keep it 2 foot away from any electrical devices that may be damaged to such a powerful magnet
and lastly
:arrow: You need to have 6 inch clearence all around the woofer because it gets too hot (6 inches for the back at least)

BUT other than that they are excellent, so if you have a massive room or would re-arrange your room to suit these babys, its simple
buy them right now, run your little hand over the address bar and go to a site and buy them, they wont dissappoint
unless one of those three points seem to be a problem :?

halcyon

Splendid
I was always tought that your amp is just about doing everything it can really do (and have reserve for peak) with the volume @ 1/2. That may have changed with PC speakers?? Yes, it'll get louder than that but you're stress'n the amp which is one of the reason's you're getting distortion at high volumes.
Also, take care with the bass/treble/EQ...if you've got the low frequencies turned up you're pushing your amp much harder than you might think when you turn it up.

In Windows, turn your main up 4/5 of the way at max, unless you have a really fine audio sound card that's not going to distort. This should send more than enough signal to your speakers...then work the volume from the speakers.

The Logitiech 5K series seemingly have more power than one could possibly want which means they're under less stress when you do crank it up a bit.

This is all kinda common sense and I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't know...it just go me thinking when you said you were getting distortion @ high volumes....

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I can tell you from my own experaince that the Z-5500 is absolutly jaw-dropping!! I too have the Adulogy-Z card and its a match from audio heaven!

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Z-5500 wipes the floor with the competition :D
They are pretty cheap as well.

Btw, i have both the coaxial and 6 channel direct connected up. For normal music i found 6 channel direct best as my audigy 2 zs upmixed the signal to all speakers, which the coaxial doesn't unless you apply one of the effects on the control panel.

The sound quality is exactly the same on analog(6 ch direct) and digital(coax).

analogue_virus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Z-5500. I've had mine for about two years now and I run everything through them. You shouldn't need anymore than 5.1 as it gets the same point across in gaming and there are no movies (that I know of) that are mixed for any more channels than that.

I use the ol' audigy 2 plat and it works great for me. My room mates don't like it, but that's there prob :D !

4745454b

Titan
I was going to suggest the Logitech z-5300/5500, but other have betten me to it. If your going to put these in your room, I do suggest the 5300. Puts out less watts yes, but it will still have the power to make things go bump. (would probably make your parents happy too...) They are still THX certified, and still sound as great as the 5500. Less power, less imputs, and I believe a few other options disapear, but still a very good set. (not the best, but considering price/performance, probably the best.)

bigballerdan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I own a Logitech Z-5300 system and it is awesome. I've had it for about a year and bought it for $120 or so on newegg at the time. They are quality speakers and the bass is deep. As far as speakers go I think that they are the best bang for your buck. Anything in the Logitech Z-5XXX series I would recommend though.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I was going to suggest the Logitech z-5300/5500, but other have betten me to it. If your going to put these in your room, I do suggest the 5300. Puts out less watts yes, but it will still have the power to make things go bump. (would probably make your parents happy too...) They are still THX certified, and still sound as great as the 5500. Less power, less imputs, and I believe a few other options disapear, but still a very good set. (not the best, but considering price/performance, probably the best.)

I have personally used the Z-5300s and the Z-5500s.... The 5300s are not comparable to the 5500s in any way. And I strongly believe the 5500s are the better buy.

Tesla

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
My Z5500's come tomorrow. Im exited about these :D More so than ive been about any other piece of hardware. I been all over the internet looking for a negative review or some negative opinions about these speakers... have found none. Some people said "theyre too loud" or "my house fell down"... i didnt really consider these good reasons to not like a speaker :)

You guys all seem to have a high opinion of them, which is always a good thing. Ill post back tommorrow on how they work out.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I can think of a few logical cons... the sub is big and heavy... The back of the control thingy gets quite warm, hot even while playing at loud volumns for a long period of time... My centre speaker keeps falling off my monitor from the vibrations from the sub, =D... Enjoy your new speakers man!

drswervin

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Ive been looking for a good 5.1 speaker sets for the past 1 month. I couldnt decide which ones to get. Reading from the various post, everyone has either mentioned about the Z5500 and Z5300. How about the Z5400? Anyone has any experiences with those speaker?
I'm from Melbourne, Aust. I have the option of spending about A$320 for the Z5400 or add extra $120 for the Z5500.

Also, was considering the Megaworks 550. I know its as powerful as the Z5500 but unfortunately it doesnt have digital playback. Any feedback on the megaworks?
Would appreciate if someone could help me out here.
THanks.

Tesla

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
Wow SWEET! The piss off the parents factor of these things is pretty high, only had them up at 1/3 volume and one of emm came and complained "oo thats a bit loud isnt it?" Damn a cant wait till i get my own flat, or they leave the house, then im REALLY gonna test the picture fall off the wall factor!!

Sounds awsome so far, bass is excellent, the sub is 6x the size of my old one and about 8-10x the power, not as heavy as i anticipated but yea for a sub it was pretty heavy. I got the new Z-5500D revision, with the replaceable cables. I dunno if the back panel getting hot is solved in this version, theres a little vent there... dunno if the older ones had that, its not a problem anyways so who cares :D

Testimonial ---> Tiffany sounds great on Z5500's!! :D :D :D

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I have the same version as you.. Z-5500D.. there are vents behind the control pod and it does get warm... as soon as you get a chance to crank them full blast, just make sure the amp on the back of the sub is away from surface so it has good airflow to keep it cool, that thing only gets dangerousy hot if you run it beyond max volumn... "boost 11.... =o"

(If you didn't know, keep turning the volumn knob up and you have up to boost 11.... try running winamp at 1% volumn and crank it =D)

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
this is what ive done- took a home theater reciever- hooked up some big floor speakers and BAM top sound

mab u have a receiver or speakers lying around, reallyl worth it

i had a logitech 5.1 setup which gets put to shame by a good ole reciever and speakers (cost me 0 dollars)

halcyon

Splendid
I'm using an old 5.1 receiver, Polk Satellites and a Velodyne sub. Sounds good to me, I wonder how the Logitech 5500's would compare. I mean they cost a lot less, and my satts only cost $250. I just wasn't too impressed by the musicality of the 5500's, but I guess that's not what they're made for.

halcyon

Splendid
Yeah, I've got until 7/16 to take the BC3's back, so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing that. I could send them back and get a higher-end headphone DAC & amp...and replace the HK Soundsticks later... I'm babbling...

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Logitech Z-550>Klipsch Promedia ultra 5.1

Z-5500 costs about 250$ give or take. The Promedia Ultras cost 350$, give or take, and are inferior to the Z-5500s.

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
A pretty reliable rule-of-thumb when buying computer speakers? Weight.

I've never, ever heard good sound reproduction coming from your average featherweight PC speaker, no matter the cost.

Also, absolutely avoid any speakers that have paper cones, which = cheap construction. Polymer woofers/ mylar mids and tweeters.