Is deleting the partion and reformatting enough for security

kooch66

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I recently upgraded from a gaming laptop to a custom PC rig that I had some people build for me. I finally got around to selling the laptop on Ebay. I deleted the old partion, reformatted a new one, and re-installed Windows. Is this enough to completely remove all of my information that was there before? It seems as though everything is gone but I am no computer expert. I know that it stored a lot of personal information including my credit card number. I highly doubt that the buyer is a computer genious that is aiming to steal personal information by spending $600.00 on an Ebay computer from someone half way across the country as there are easier and cheaper ways, but you can never be too sure. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sorry if this is on the wrong board, as I already posted it in hardware, but there are so many boards here it is confusing.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If the data you need erased is worth enough to someone to go through computer 'forensics' to retrieve the data (aka, Kroll/Ontrack), then no. Your data is still there, but there's no way to retrieve it without specialized tools and a lot of work.

Since its a personal machine, you should be just fine unless you got a nutcase on the other end.

If you want that extra bit of security, write zeros to the whole drive - most drives/mfgs have a utility for that so use Dell/Gateway/Seagate's whichever you have. For complete security, it should be overwritten with a random pattern I think 6 times, but even once is enough to raise the cost of retrieval into the stratosphere.

Mike.

No. there are many programs out there that can recover all the data from a hard drive that has been wiped out in that maner. THe one I use is called GetDataBack and it can see data from many partitions ago. Very usefull.

Use ghosts BCwipe, or a highlevel disk wipe utility, or beter yet, Dont sell the hdd.