What are you doing to your old rigs?

Greg_pelaez

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Hi everyone!!

This is just my first post in this forum though I've been browsing and reading posts everyday. I just want to know what are you guys doing to your old mobos, processors, graphics cards,etc, when you upgraded your system?
Ypu reply would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!
Greg

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Give stuff away to friends, or throw it in the rubbish.

Although I do retain CPUs, as I have always done: I have CPUs from every year since 1978, starting with my original 1MHz 6502A from my Ohio Scientific C1P. These are displayed in a series of picture frames, along with details of the chip, on the walls of my study.

I give some away, and some are parted out for repairs.

I have a 333 MHz Celeron as my Freesco router for my home LAN. And I have two 500 MHz P3s in storage: one to be used as another router or web server and the other for a file server.

And then I have a 133 MHz AMD 486 for nostalgia. I want to install DOS 6 and Win 3.1 on it for fun! Yes! I want to track down all those sound, CDROM, and network drivers and install a 3rd party TCP/IP stack in order to access the Internet :) And I am REALLY looking forward to playing around with the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to free up 600 K of memory to run DOOM in a DOS box :wink:

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I stock it away, sorted. I go through a lot of stuff between home and work, and I rebuild machines from parts all the time. I'll find a need for a machine and usually I'll have so many parts laying around all I'll need to build it is a case and maybe a motherboard. Or maybe I have a MB and need a processor. Or maybe I'll need some memory. Typically I can build a machine from spare parts and another $100.

I go through my cache every few years and toss out stuff that will never be used.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Currently, it's dissasembled due to lack of extra monitor, and my uncle is using it's 30Gb IDE HDD and Geforce 2 MX400 PCI on his son's pc, but something happened and it's busted now, the cpu fan broke (celeron 533) and the celery got to 54°C idle, then it was fixed, then I don't know what happened:p

Also he had an AMD 386 33mhz machine with 4Mb of SIMM, I wanted it just for fun (y'know a mobo with ONLY ISA stuff isn't an everydays object xD) but he threw it away....*sigh* there I learned the beauty of Wolfenstein

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Last month I gave away a P4 1.8Ghz system with 512MB's of DDR400 and a Radion 9000 Pro with 128MB's LOL I had alot of fun with that system but I have 4 machines that are way better then that now.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I make file servers, domain controllers, firewalls, exchange servers, and "kid" computers out of spare crap.

I also have a collection of almost one of every apples pc products since the Apple II until the crap they started making at the original iMac's, even a Woz edition IIgs. Still have my original 386sx16, a used 286, 8086, trs-80, sinclair something or other, and some other much older than me stuff. All in my garage of course :)

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Yeah, me too. Purposely distroying old computers [or anything for that matter] doesn't sit well with me. I don't know how many times I've needed to troubleshoot something and used an old part to verify if the machine was working. Or, a machine will die completely and I can whip up an old machine and be able to attach to the internet or whatever I need to do in short order.

I don't keep stuff that won't ever be used again, and purge my storage every few years so you won't find 5.25 inch floppy drives (well, I did keep one) and a box of 486 motherboards around any more. But, I do have a working K5/2 500 I just reloaded, and tossed out the other 3 I had, after stripping all the CD's and floppies out of them. :wink:

lance525

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Give stuff away to friends, or throw it in the rubbish.

Although I do retain CPUs, as I have always done: I have CPUs from every year since 1978, starting with my original 1MHz 6502A from my Ohio Scientific C1P. These are displayed in a series of picture frames, along with details of the chip, on the walls of my study.

That was thinking ahead! I've thrown too much away and that would have been a great idea. Mother, aunt's and uncle's get all the hand-me-downs. Of course, mine is a hand-me-down as my son gets the high powered rig for all that FEAR and Oblivion.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
At work one useless old celeron 400mhz has been transformed into a very useful file server with Gentoo/Subversion/Samba etc.

Morph

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I still have my Timex Sinclair 1000 and Tandy Color Computer III in my garage. Also, a working eMachines Celeron 2 566 in a closet ready for action. Plus a stack of obsolete parts.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I donate my "leftovers" to friends and familly as I want to avoid being badgered by a clueless buyer that fry something up then want his money back.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I came into posession of a friend's old Pentium 133, which I would've kept using had I not lost the keyboard to it. I ripped the thing apart; if something had screws in it, I went berserk with the screwdriver at it until it was in pieces or I realized that the screwdriver was too big.

In hindsight, I realize I did a very stupid thing in disassembling the PSU. :oops:

sailer

Splendid
I take out any parts that might have use in a new build or another computer (I have three running in my office). Even a hardrive that is only 3 gig still can contain a lot of word and excel files. The useless stuff left over then goes to a local recycler or becomes a target at the rifle range.

I donate my "leftovers" to friends and familly as I want to avoid being badgered by a clueless buyer that fry something up then want his money back.
sooo true

My old parts go from me to my girl friend....her old parts go to my brother, his old parts go to the garage to play mp3's, the garage parts go on my cd rack to collect dust with the cd's....some parts get stabbed with a screw driver(just old motherboards from asus that sucked to begin with...can a p133 with 512 ram be a router? or is it too slow?... its fanless).....

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Since my old rig is mainly "leftovers" from my friends I can't donate them back. Until recently my old rig is sitting on a shelf (without a case) Folding 24/7. (Don't try to recruit me I already have a team). Since I'm moving, its in a box right now, but there's a pic of it somewhere on the forums.

Oh... here it is.
shelfcompy.jpg

-mcg