Should I Do Both?

hiddengamer775

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay so this year I'm a Junior in High Schoo, I am going to a career tech center school for half the day for the whole year. I'm going for Auto Body Repair, however I talk and look around for computer components, and play around with computers alot so I was wondering if my Senior year I should go into Computer Technology, or Programming. What do you think?

I am assuming your from the US.

Although recent computer programming languages have evolved to the point where they are much friendlier to use, and even have a wide range of "tools" embedded withing the package, they still require you to have a strong maths ability.

A "computer technology" course is, however, a much broader course, and you might find this more interesting. It arguebly, has a lower maths prerequisite, and focuses on hardware and software.

Good luck in your studies, and we hope you find the forums up the top of interest while your studying.

productofchina

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
It's best to talk to your guidance counselor. Also ask for a website that has invaluable information of career paths, if your school doesn't offer them then search specific job info on the internet.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
if you can handle studying both and it is your passion then yeah do both if you have the time. dat way you have more skillz to parlay into a lucrative career in case the job market gets tougher you can fall back on other skills, know I'm sayin'?

In relation to raynod's comment, I would like to point out that it is a good idea to have a good mathematical background. However, realize that you won't be using most of the Calculus,etc you will learn unless you are doing some really specialized tasks such as encryption, data mining,etc.

Anyways, I recommend you take the harder route (in my case, this is CS,and perhaps EE along with CS as compared to IT degree) as if you fail, you will still have a pretty good selection of choices to move on to.