Sign in with
Your question

Hooking up components to PSU

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2006 2:58:30 AM

I've never had to plug in components to a PSU before. Yeah, I know, uber-n00b. If anyone can give a good, brief explanation, I'd appreciate it. Or you could just give me a good link to the info. Thanks.

Oh, yeah, here are my specs: Antec Smartpower 400 Watt, 2 gig OCZ 2-3-2-5, X850 Pro AGP, P4 2.6ghz, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, NEC 3550 DVD/CD combo, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

More about : hooking components psu

June 14, 2006 3:35:34 AM

If it fits, plug it in, unless you can't plug in a lamp you shouldn't have a problem.

Seriously, all the connectors are keyed and only go into where they belong.
June 14, 2006 3:49:07 AM

that's true, the things that need power are the mb (20 or 24 pin big one), all the optical drives & hard drives as well as the case fanes. your video card (maybe).
Related resources
June 15, 2006 12:27:43 AM

Awesome. I suppose I should've tinkered with it before asking a question like this. I just wanted to make sure I have everything right with the PSU. Didn't want to risk the chance of frying anything. Well, thanks alot guys.
June 15, 2006 1:15:09 AM

Well certainly better safe than sorry, no dumb questions, just ones you wish you never asked :D 
June 15, 2006 1:58:30 AM

Quote:
Well certainly better safe than sorry, no dumb questions, just ones you wish you never asked :D 

actually...which no offense guided at the author....this is a dumb question
June 15, 2006 3:29:31 AM

Alright, I have a few more questions. What's the best method of cleaning the dust off with a safe tool. I know air duster is a given. Any other easy methods? Also, I suppose the best method for cable management is a just putting in a twist tie or two?
June 15, 2006 4:29:21 AM

Quote:
Alright, I have a few more questions. What's the best method of cleaning the dust off with a safe tool. I know air duster is a given. Any other easy methods? Also, I suppose the best method for cable management is a just putting in a twist tie or two?

cleaning fans = q-tips, dampened with rubbing alcohol
cleaning case with be vaccum or compressed air.

for cable management i prefer zip-ties, i feel that twist ties may be dangerous since they contain steel and if one of ur cables shifted and the steel touches your mobo there could be a few problems. u can use twist ties, i like zip-ties
June 15, 2006 5:15:40 AM

Brings to mind the huge debate over what technique to use for cleaning out a system, remember that one pengwin? I'd agree with everything you said by the way.

A buddy of mine had an old pentium desktop system and the guy who built it used crazy glue and twist ties of the paper over metal variety. The paper had long since fallen off and one of the twist ties kept bumping against something on the motherboard randomly making it reboot.

The same dude that built that system used to use masking tape to hold down cables, you know what happens to hot, dry, old masking tape, it's a fire hazard!
June 15, 2006 3:10:38 PM

Quote:
Brings to mind the huge debate over what technique to use for cleaning out a system, remember that one pengwin? I'd agree with everything you said by the way.

A buddy of mine had an old pentium desktop system and the guy who built it used crazy glue and twist ties of the paper over metal variety. The paper had long since fallen off and one of the twist ties kept bumping against something on the motherboard randomly making it reboot.

The same dude that built that system used to use masking tape to hold down cables, you know what happens to hot, dry, old masking tape, it's a fire hazard!

i agree, there will be ahuge debate but i strongly dont advise ppl to use twist ties
June 15, 2006 3:46:34 PM

If it's really dusty, haden been clean in may years. Like a friend of mine.

I took it out side and used a weed blower. You would have sweared you were in a west texas dust storm, it was that bad.

Then I got down to the detail cleaning.
June 15, 2006 4:31:24 PM

weed blower is a bad idea u can damage components

2nd, cable management go to k-mart grab a bag of zipties for 5 bucks, cheaper and better than sleeving
June 15, 2006 7:05:07 PM

Quote:
I suppose the best method for cable management is a just putting in a twist tie or two?

Back to the PS connections first - don't use both PS connections on a SATA HD. Either use a 4-pin Molex or the newer SATA power plug.

WRT cable management, my approach is to use dead space in the case as effectively as possible first. So I'll route some stuff under the mobo, behind the mobo tray, around the PS, behind the 5.25" drive rails, etc. Mobo standoffs can be used effectively. If you're into it, cutting PS and other cables to custom lengths can work great. Think 3x before cutting. And PenGwin is right, no twist ties unless you enjoy watching your mobo sparkle on its way to an early grave. Zip ties are available in different lengths and colors. Shrink tube can work in some situations too.
June 16, 2006 3:15:52 AM

Can anyone else give me more info on how I should go about cleaning my components. I just need to know of an ideal tool to do the fine detail work. I already have a bottle of air duster. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
June 16, 2006 5:05:56 AM

Use that compressed air, take all the parts out and get a bottle of circuit board cleaner and spay the crap out of the parts. Let the stuff drip off and dry, then put it back in. It will help prevent further dust accumulation a little.

Usually just blowing out all the dust is all you really need to do, unless you smoke around your computer, there are chemicals in second hand smoke that actually start breaking down pcb's.
June 16, 2006 5:28:04 AM

heh, i try as little as possible to touch my PCB's on anything. compressed air, lots of it. and qtips.
June 16, 2006 6:03:47 PM

Quote:
Use that compressed air, take all the parts out and get a bottle of circuit board cleaner and spay the crap out of the parts. Let the stuff drip off and dry, then put it back in. It will help prevent further dust accumulation a little.

Usually just blowing out all the dust is all you really need to do, unless you smoke around your computer, there are chemicals in second hand smoke that actually start breaking down pcb's.

Do you have any clue if Wal-Mart sells it? Or would I have to go to an office supply store?
June 16, 2006 6:27:35 PM

No they won't, specialty electrical shops or industrial supply companies should though.
!