Last response: in CPUs

Which Processor Would You Choose?

Total: 57 votes (3 blank votes)

• Intel Pentium 4 HT Processor 630
  • 35 %
  • AMD Athlon 64 3200+
  • 66 %
June 14, 2006 4:00:35 AM

Hey guys, I got a few questions here... I don't have any IT background so to speak and I need your expert opinion on the subject. I am planning to acquire a 64-Bit Multimedia PC through the Do-It-Myself route on a $1,800.00 budget. I intend to use the rig for medical transcription-related applications and some PC gaming on the side. I want it to be fast enough so that I don't have to upgrade in the next 3 years or so and yet still be able to run future applications with performance to spare. Right now, I am intially considering the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ given my $1800 budget.

Listed below are the specs and peripherals I had in mind...

SPECS
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz Processor 630 EM64T
ASUS A8N-SLI SE or ASUS P5ND2-SLI Intel Edition motherboard
Kingston 1.0GB (2 x 512MB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 533MHz)
Seagate 120GB SATA 7200rpm HDD
Sony 1.44MB FDD
Sony Internal Card Reader/Writer Drive
Sony DRU-820A 16x EIDE/ATAPI DVD-Writer
Nvidia GeForce 6600LE 256MB/128-Bit GPU (PCI-E)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Soundcard with I/O Drive
Viewsonic E72f+SB 17-inch pure flat CRT display monitor
Viewsonic KU-306 USB Multimedia Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2.0 game controller
Epson CX4100 multifunction printer/scanner/copier
ATX Form Factor CPU Chassis with 500W/12V PSU
Termaltake TR2-M6K8 CPU Cooler Fan
APC Back-UPS CS650VA Uninterruptible Power Supply
Windows XP Professional Edition with Service Pack 2 OS

So okay, here are my questions...

1. If you're gonna build a PC, which processor would you choose and why?

2. Is a 500-Watts Power Supply Unit sufficient enough for my setup, as listed above?

3. For surge protection and power back-up, I'm thinking about getting an APC Back-UPS CS-650VA UPS. Will it be capable enough to handle the power requirements of the setup specified above?

4. I've heard about the heating problem issues experienced before with the previous generation of AMD processors. With this in mind, do I need to install an aftermarket CPU cooler fan if I get an AMD Athlon 64?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Your feedbacks will be highly appreciated.
June 14, 2006 5:01:17 AM

1) Go with the AMD 3200+. It consumes less power, generates less heat, and performs better in many games.

Look for yourself here(it is set on Wolfenstein, but change it to any other benchmark):
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

2) A 500 watt power supply should be plenty for that setup, just make sure it is a quality power supply. Antec is a good brand to choose from, as is Fortron.

3) Not sure about the battery backup, don't have one personally. But I do know tigerdirect has a good deal on one here(1000VA for $80):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

4) There are no longer any heat problems with AMD processors, their retail heatsink and fan will do you fine. AMD processors also run a little cooler then their Intel counterparts, though this may soon change with Conroe(Core 2 Duo) coming out.

On a side note, the 6600LE is junk for gaming, and will severely hinder your systems performance. If you can swing the extra cash, I highly recommend you go with at least a 6600GT if you want to game. If you can spend a little more than that, you can get yourself a 7600GT(not GS).

Here is a link to a 6600GT($119 after rebate):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

7600GT($158.99):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If you need any more help, feel free to ask.
June 14, 2006 11:29:35 AM

OMG! you heard that the AMD ran hot? Well, you should have heard that the "prescott" line architecture. that brough down the Name "Pentium" So i absolutely don't recommend you going for the Pentium in this case. It'll bring in anywhere from 70-90*C. while the 3200+ is gonig to keep around mid 30 to low 40*c and speed wise Pompeii has already given you the tomshardware chart. You'll be best with the 3200+ in every matter =heat, watts, speed, realiablilty.
Related resources
June 14, 2006 12:03:09 PM

Why don't get one 930. It cost you only a little more before AMD have again competitive prizes.

And AMD at the end of one serie run very HOT. See the latest K7, and the FX 60. AMD have termal issues in the top of line Opterons etc.

Low end Athlon have no issues but aren't as good as fanboys believe.

Prize war start and you have to see prize/performance not raw force.
June 14, 2006 1:18:48 PM

I'm running above FX60 specs on a stock heatsink and my idle temps are between 24-25C, 100% load 37C. :?
June 14, 2006 2:02:57 PM

Quote:
I'm running above FX60 specs on a stock heatsink and my idle temps are between 24-25C, 100% load 37C. :?

bad temps reading for sure....
Are you really beleiving those temps?

If you plan to overclock/encode/multitask go with the P4
If you just want to play games go for the Athlon
June 14, 2006 2:08:09 PM

Hmm, As stated earlier get the 6600GT or preferrably the 7600GT, just a little bit more but much better performance then the 6600LE.

Hmm, an $1,800 budget is more then enough for a great PC, however your setup seems to be running below even the $1k mark. CRT Monitor? 6600LE/ 3200+ AMD? All fairly cheap now, which items are sucked away so much cash?
June 14, 2006 2:12:34 PM

3200+,No contest here!
June 14, 2006 2:30:59 PM

Quote:
3200+,No contest here!

Usefull post

explane your opinon
I had the chance to use a 3000+ and a P4 3GHz
and the P4 was more responsive by far under heavy load.
It's a fact.

Thermal question:

The P4 6xx Series generate less heat than the 5xx (speedstep)...
I have a P630 and it NEVER goes over 50C under load with the stock cooler and the crappiest Micro-ATX case ever...

So yeah Prescott runs hot but not as hot as the 5xx series
June 14, 2006 2:52:11 PM

LOL :D  Someone gave me 1 star and did not reply :) 
June 14, 2006 3:24:10 PM

Quote:

bad temps reading for sure....
Are you really beleiving those temps?
Actually, yes; the new heat sinks AMD gives are much better, my case is well vented, and my climate is not very hot. (Plus I have my AC on when it is)

As to the thread's question, don't even consider the 630; for $2 more, you can get the 631 which would be a better overclocker and should run cooler in general.
June 14, 2006 3:35:50 PM

Quote:
3200+,No contest here!

Usefull post

explane your opinon
I had the chance to use a 3000+ and a P4 3GHz
and the P4 was more responsive by far under heavy load.
It's a fact.

Thermal question:

The P4 6xx Series generate less heat than the 5xx (speedstep)...
I have a P630 and it NEVER goes over 50C under load with the stock cooler and the crappiest Micro-ATX case ever...

So yeah Prescott runs hot but not as hot as the 5xx series

I mainly care about renderings and if coupled with 64bit software, my 3000+ (@2.1G) is far more better than the P4 3.0E I have at work. I have also noticed that some apps start faster on the 3000+.
However, intels hyperthreading gives unmatched multitasking by any single core, that's sure.
Thermally, the prescott (it's a 530) reaches 61°C and you could use the auxilary to dry your hair 8)
June 14, 2006 4:39:29 PM

Quote:
OMG! you heard that the AMD ran hot? Well, you should have heard that the "prescott" line architecture. that brough down the Name "Pentium" So i absolutely don't recommend you going for the Pentium in this case. It'll bring in anywhere from 70-90*C. while the 3200+ is gonig to keep around mid 30 to low 40*c and speed wise Pompeii has already given you the tomshardware chart. You'll be best with the 3200+ in every matter =heat, watts, speed, realiablilty.

Where did you found such info???
can you prove it??
my Prescott 640 idles at 25ºC and at full load goes to 54ºC max with stock cooler
70-90ºC man???
you must be a stupid AMD fanboy trying to get some attention
June 14, 2006 4:56:59 PM

I was looking at the Tomshardware CPU Charts
and I found out that the P4 630 is way faster in multitasking against the 3200+

Some benchs 630 loses.. others he wons

I would go for the 630
but the money is yours, take a look at CPU charts and see whats better for you
June 14, 2006 5:19:08 PM

I have to disgree with these stupid temp calims with the 630. I have one in my pc and it certainly does not run a 70oC when under load. I have average case cooling(2 front intakes and one rear exhaust fan). When idle mine is around 30-35oC and under load it averages 40-45oC. Where do these stupid claims come from. I know prescott's run hot but they dont run that hot.
June 14, 2006 5:23:00 PM

Is it? 8O
In Tom's Multitasking II (Winrar, Lame, ogg,WMV) 3200+ is winning.

Quote:

June 14, 2006 5:27:13 PM

Why would you get the 630 Prescott when you can spend an extra $2 and get the 631 Cedar Mill?
June 14, 2006 5:51:31 PM

$1800 seems a bit high for that system, but I guess if you are including monitor and printer and OS it might be about right. For that budget you should be able to go dual core, which would agree with your 3 year future scenario.

Loose the seperate floppy drive and card reader and install this instead:
click here

Don't overclock and you can loose the 3rd party CPU cooler and just use the stock fan/heatsink.

Sounds like you are going to do some work on this system, so definitely spring for a second hard drive. Install your OS and apps on one drive, and save all your data and downloads and whatnot on the 2nd drive.
June 14, 2006 6:18:08 PM

IMO, I would choose the 630 or 631 as the better general all around processor, and on the Intel 975 or ATI's RD-600 chipset, with the intention of a CPU upgrade path to Conroe later.
And a quality 500watt PSU is plenty, my choice would be and is the Antec True Power 550 watt costing around $90 USD.
June 14, 2006 6:37:37 PM

Shadow fox, are you a radiologist?
June 14, 2006 6:38:25 PM

Quote:
Is it? 8O

Are you blind???
P4 631 is almost 2mins faster then 3200+ in that
June 14, 2006 6:51:24 PM

Quote:
you must be a stupid AMD fanboy trying to get some attention

8)

Quote:

I have to disgree with these stupid temp calims with the 630. I have one in my pc and it certainly does not run a 70oC when under load. I have average case cooling(2 front intakes and one rear exhaust fan). When idle mine is around 30-35oC and under load it averages 40-45oC. Where do these stupid claims come from. I know prescott's run hot but they dont run that hot.

Sometimes it looks like an urban legend which AMD fanboys pass from generation to generation...

Heyyou27 also got an excelent point, get a 631.
June 14, 2006 6:53:55 PM

I will personally guarantee you are getting a bad temperature reading. Not because I like intel, or amd thats not the concern, I have a Zalman CNPS 7700 cu, on my single core 3200 + @ 2.4 ghz and I get upto 32 degrees, with my stock hs I used to get over 40 degrees at that frequency. You have a dual core fx 60 running at 2.6 ghz, higher frequency, more power consumption=higher temp. And my 3200 + is only a few months old, so I have the newer hs, plus I do have a good case, the Thermaltake Soprano, 2 120 mm fans, with a single 90 on the side.
June 14, 2006 7:12:17 PM

I know it sounds wrong, but I have my PC in room in my basement that is very cool all year round and my case has very good airflow.
June 14, 2006 7:18:52 PM

I have one northwood 2.8C running at 42º C idle and 50 after 24h at full load. . And my Athlon 64 X2 3800 is 50-55 idle-load. My room is at 35ºC and processor are with stock cooling in coolermaster stacker 810

It's summer in Spain.
June 14, 2006 11:37:57 PM

Quote:
AMD have termal issues in the top of line Opterons etc.

High-end stuff tends to be MORE efficient because they have to run 24/7.

The 2xx/8xx Opterons are actually thermally cooler than the FX line.

Regardless, when Woodcrest / Conroe comes out you'll all toss your crappy P4s and pray to the Core gods for forgiveness for ever believing the Netburst architecture was even worth owning...
June 15, 2006 1:25:26 AM

HAHAH you have 8 posts and your calling somone a fanboy.
But really 70-90c is crazy. Its like 50-70c sepends on airflow.
And the 3200 wins the 4-way multasking. The 630 wins the 2-way. Because of hypertreading.
I personaly would get the 3200.
June 16, 2006 5:30:24 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! I've decided to go get myself an AMD Athlon 64-Based platform (3200+). I'm from the Philippines and considering the hot and humid climate we got here, I figured investing in a nice CPU cooling system such as the Thermaltake TR2 series is a good idea. The stock heatsink I think would be capable enough to do the job but I'd like to stay on the safe side. The way I see it, it doesn't make sense spending on a PhP10,000/US$190 Processor then scrimp on a PhP2,000+/US$40+ CPU cooler and then risk ruining a US$1800 rig.

With the exchange rate here going at around PhP52.00 to US$1.00, the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum and ASUS A8N-SLI SE motherboard sure did sucked a lot of money but I'd say it's money well-spent. I don't have enough budget for the Altec Lansing MX5021 so I'll get the MX5020 speakers instead.

Keep the feedbacks coming. :) 
June 16, 2006 6:47:42 AM

Before you go spending 10K pesos on a sound card, try those speakers out on the onboard. I think you will be suprised.
You are not going to get the effect out of the SB card, unless you go surround sound.
Getting the 3200 over the P4 is a wise move. For gaming, that 3200 competes well with a 3.6ghz P4.
A thing about multitasking. If you seriously multitask, taskmanager is your friend. Use it to set priorities. This is true for bothe Amd, and Intel systems.
The only shortfall is if you are running a few background apps, and a single main app, on an Intel rig. With HT enabled, the background apps will get far too many cpu cycles. In that case, it is better to disable HT.
June 17, 2006 12:30:15 PM

Quote:
Shadow fox, are you a radiologist?

No, Sir. I am not a Radiologist or a RadTech. I'm actually new to Medical Transcription and am currently taking the 3-Month MedTrans Program here in the Philippines. 'Figured I could earn a few bucks on the side as a part-time MT for an outsourcing company or maybe as an independent contactor doing home-based medical transcription work during my spare time. Gonna use my earnings to get myself through college.
June 17, 2006 1:14:47 PM

Quote:
Before you go spending 10K pesos on a sound card, try those speakers out on the onboard. I think you will be suprised.
You are not going to get the effect out of the SB card, unless you go surround sound.
Getting the 3200 over the P4 is a wise move. For gaming, that 3200 competes well with a 3.6ghz P4.
A thing about multitasking. If you seriously multitask, taskmanager is your friend. Use it to set priorities. This is true for bothe Amd, and Intel systems.
The only shortfall is if you are running a few background apps, and a single main app, on an Intel rig. With HT enabled, the background apps will get far too many cpu cycles. In that case, it is better to disable HT.

Thanks for the tip. However, in an age of powerful dual-core CPUs, oodles of memory, and motherboards with integrated multi-channel surround sound, installing a separate soundcard such as the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi has its own advantages. The X-Fi for example is capable of delivering 24 times more power than its predecessors. With such power, the X-Fi is almost future proof and very capable of supporting my PC audio needs well into the future.

Every gamer knows that being the best takes a high level of talent plus the best gaming rig money can buy. Until now, having the best audio in that rig delivered incredibly realistic audio, but because of the limitations of previous generation technology, that didn't necessarily equate to the highest performance. On the other hand, Motherboard audio solutions sacrificed all pretence to quality and realism in the pursuit of high-performance gaming. With the X-Fi, the days of having to choose between ultimate realism and highest performance are over.

The X-Fi has the power to deliver accelerated frame rates during gameplay, even with all the available effects and enhancements turned on.

Aside from PC gaming (mostly simulation games), my rig will be used primarily for home-based medical transcription work. While submarine simulation games are fun and positively identifying the classifcation of an enemy Akula sub through its unique SONAR signature is in itself a challenge... unfortunately, in MedTrans, out there lurk some of the healthcare profession's most chronically bad dictators and some of them are ESL speakers (English as second language). They send you voice files containing dicatations of Patient Health Records, Operative Reports, Consultation Notes, Discharge Summaries, etc. Sometimes these voice files were recorded/dubbed on an analog recorder with all the background/ambient noise clutter included. While digital is "in" thing these days, some healthcare professionals still insist on using old cassette tapes as their preferred medium for file storage. Transcribing files like these are very challenging and sometimes difficult. These records are sensitive documents kept for record and legal purposes. Mistakes in transcription should be avoided.

With the Soundblaster X-Fi's 24-Bit Sound Crystalizer feature, filtering out all the background/ambient noise clutter would make things easier on my part. That translates to fast and accurate transcription. :) 
June 17, 2006 1:23:52 PM

Quote:
$1800 seems a bit high for that system, but I guess if you are including monitor and printer and OS it might be about right. For that budget you should be able to go dual core, which would agree with your 3 year future scenario.

Loose the seperate floppy drive and card reader and install this instead:
click here

Don't overclock and you can loose the 3rd party CPU cooler and just use the stock fan/heatsink.

Sounds like you are going to do some work on this system, so definitely spring for a second hard drive. Install your OS and apps on one drive, and save all your data and downloads and whatnot on the 2nd drive.

Yeah, the US$1800 budget includes the monitor and all the other bells & whistles I need for my rig. With the exchange rate going at around PhP52.00 to US$1.00, I don't have any extra cash left for the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers. I'll settle for the MX5020 instead and then invest in a good stereo headset for home-based medical transcription work.
June 17, 2006 2:23:08 PM

Givin that you don't want to have to upgrage the 3200+ is the better choise, it has 64-bit, better gamming, and still good multitasking. The 630 isn't 64-bit and since your using it for medical prescriptions I assume you run some sort of Linux, anyways when Vista comes out you'll get a great operation system that takes advantage of 64-bit.
June 17, 2006 4:51:33 PM

The 630 has the same 64-bit extensions (EMT64) that Intel leases from AMD. But I agree that the 3200+ is better for gaming.
June 17, 2006 6:01:05 PM

yes, but AMD has true 64bit architecture
June 17, 2006 10:23:41 PM

I'm not the architecture expert but I'm pretty sure AMD uses 64-bit extensions just like Intel. I'd heard recently that originally AMD had 2 added instructions sets that Intel lacked, but Intel has added the missing instructions in all their latest cpus making the extensions nearly identical. Maybe someone with a link can clarify.
June 17, 2006 10:54:18 PM

Go all the way with the 3200+, you won't regret it. :wink:
June 17, 2006 10:57:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not the architecture expert but I'm pretty sure AMD uses 64-bit extensions just like Intel. I'd heard recently that originally AMD had 2 added instructions sets that Intel lacked, but Intel has added the missing instructions in all their latest cpus making the extensions nearly identical. Maybe someone with a link can clarify.

I don't know about conrunt since intel is behaving very weird about 64-bit extensions on their new line of processors, but I'm damn sure that current P4s lack true 64-bit extensions (they use 38-bit addressing instead of AMD's 40-bit addressing).
June 17, 2006 11:52:31 PM

Quote:
but I'm damn sure that current P4s lack true 64-bit extensions (they use 38-bit addressing instead of AMD's 40-bit addressing).

You stupid troll, jack already proved you wrong about that so STFU with your FUD.
June 17, 2006 11:58:36 PM

If this is true that you have been corrected, and still are spouting FUD, then you really need to reflect upon why you feel the need to spread dis-information around these forums.
Innocent dis-information is tolerable, since it can be corrected... and will be in future postings...
Intentional dis-information is a pretty serious offence, IMO.
June 18, 2006 12:04:34 AM

Tis true and I found the thread.

Link.
June 18, 2006 2:31:46 AM

9-nm sounds like a jilted lover, so sad that he resorts to lies to try to convince ppl that Conroe isnt going to be top dog for a while.

At least most other AMD fanboys will show respect to conroe even if they stick with AMD.
June 18, 2006 2:44:07 AM

That or Napoleon syndrome...
June 18, 2006 3:18:31 AM

u can get a much better rig(geared towards gaming) for 1.8k, of course ill give u tips if this is wat u want, the first thing i would do is get rid of both of those setups and buy a core 2 duo ready mobo with a intel d processor or wait till core 2 comes out

9 inch if all u want to do is bash intel, u can go post somewhere else with all the othe amd fanboys
June 18, 2006 5:03:08 AM

Quote:
Is it? 8O

Are you blind???
P4 631 is almost 2mins faster then 3200+ in that

I think that you are blind, since you can not read your own post, where you are talking about 630.
630 is loosing in multitasking II to 3200+ venice core.
How did you bring 631 here? :evil: 
June 18, 2006 6:16:10 AM

Go for the 3200+... it is better in 3D app in general... However, if i were you... i would wait a bit more until the core duo 2 comes out and upgrade my sys
June 18, 2006 7:31:28 AM

man yo would be better off with the AMD side intel is expensive and dosent match amd on performance that much .Get your self some speedy ram like 667 Mhz for vista and make it above 1Gb ,the graphic card should be anything above 6600GT and your pc shall survive for 2 years .
i hope so :D  :idea:
June 18, 2006 6:29:09 PM

Quote:
but I'm damn sure that current P4s lack true 64-bit extensions (they use 38-bit addressing instead of AMD's 40-bit addressing).

You stupid troll, jack already proved you wrong about that so STFU with your FUD. Dammit AM leave him alone!
!