1900xtx clocking issue

desulenski

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I just bought the power color 1900xtx video card. My core clock in the cataclystic screen( I don't think I spelt that correctly) says that its at 500mhz and that the memory is at 594mhz. When I do the auto clocking it gets to 80c and then says do you want to save these changes. I save them and it stays the same. The only thing I think of its a bad card. But the other thing is I have only have 512mb of ram because g.skill tends to suck on shipping good memory. Which by the way I didn't know. Can any one help me. My pc setup is a amd 3800x2 proc, mobo is the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Radeon Xpress 3200 CrossFire, and of course the power color 1900xtx. The power supply antec x connect 550 watt power supply. I am returning the memory to newegg to get a new pair of dual channel memory.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Your 500/594 speeds are for 2D apps. When you start a 3D app (game) the card will start working at the rated (625/725) speeds. It's a power-saving feature that ATI uses. It's normal. Download ATITool to see how it changes in a 3D environment.

EDIT: Bluefinger (post below) is right on the 3D speeds for your card. I was wrong. I gave you x1900xt speeds, not xtx speeds. I have to pay more attention to all those letter/number combos in graphics cards these days...

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
oh GOD not another one! There's nothing wrong with your graphics card! Its just throttles its core/mem speeds when there's no 3D apps to run! That's what X1000 series ATI cards do! Dynamic core/mem speeds and voltage control. On 2D mode (or when you are at the desktop running normal stuff), the card runs at low core/mem speeds, so to not generate so much heat, as soon as it hits a 3D, it boosts its core/mem speeds to 650/775. I have an ATI card as well, so I know... and now you do.