What's going on?

RyanOllebek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Hi all, I really hope you guys can help me :(

2 months ago my Club 3D GeForce 6800 GT crashed, when I rebooted strange colored pixels appeared on the boot screen, then when the computer was about to enter Windows XP the screen went black and the led on the monitor went from green to orange.

This card worked for a few months btw.

Ok, it thought it was broken so I got back to my old Club 3D GeForce 5900 XT, and like before it runs without problems.

Just recently I decided to buy another GeForce 6800 GT, this time a Sparkle GeForce 6800 GT. He worked for about ten minutes then suddenly it crashed and the same thing happened as above. The videocard is back to the store and they are going to send me another one.

Now it's running again with the GeForce 5900 XT, again without problems.

I'm just terribly scared that the same thing will happen with the new videocard. Was it just coincidence or is something terribly wrong?

Specs

motherboard : MSI K7N2G-L
proc : AMD Athlon XP 3000
psu : Q-Tec 550 Watt, Dual Fan Gold
memory : Corsair TWINX - XMS3200 - 512 MB - 400 Mhz
hdd : 1x80 GB

1 DVD ReWriter

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm thinking it could be the power supply. It seems like a good PSU, but it could be causing the problem.
That's what it sounds like to me also, even though your system isn't really even working that PSU, if it infact is a decent 550 watts. GL :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Sounds like it was simply a bad card to me. It happens.

Check your voltages on your PSU though...
Maybe one bad V/C., but 2? "Just recently I decided to buy another GeForce 6800 GT, this time a Sparkle GeForce 6800 GT. He worked for about ten minutes then suddenly it crashed and the same thing happened as above. The videocard is back to the store and they are going to send me another one".

TRENDING THREADS