Recommend me a mobo for 805D?

john_thor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Going to try to OC the 805, so I've read that a 8 phase power converter (?) is helpful on the effeciency front. Obviously the latest and greatest from Asus / gigabyte etc would be fine, but I'd rather pay less for only the features I need.

I need:

5.1 sound
regular ethernet (1 plug is fine)
4 sata ports with at least two on Raid 0
NCQ on the sata seems like a good idea
Something that will OC well/easily
4 dimm slots so I can fit 2 x 512 and upgrade to 4 x 512 easily
Some cooling solution on the hot bits would be a bonus.
Cheapness!

THEN... I have the whole crossfire/SLI question. Must admit, sli seems the more well established. Anyone got any views on this issue? ;)

I've got all the watercooling stuff I need already so heat isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

John

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Going to try to OC the 805, so I've read that a 8 phase power converter (?) is helpful on the effeciency front...
I've got all the watercooling stuff I need already so heat isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

John
How will you watercool the power regulators? There is no cheap way out of this. Besides, you want multiple videocards (cheap?). No wonder nobody wants to respond to this thread. What you want makes no sense.

john_thor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
When I said that heat isn't going to be an issue, I was refering to the processor. Sorry for any confusion. And besides, watercooling power regulators isn't that hard. I'm currently doing it with my athlon board at a cost of only £10.

Also, I want the ability to add another similar GPU later, when they have presumably come down in price. That's why SLI is cost effective. You buy an adequate card now, and then in 2 years when games have moved on you buy another similar card, for half the price of the original card and use both.

anyways....

I'll rephrase my original question. Can some recommend me a reasonably priced mobo that supports LGA775 and that has 8 phase voltage regulators.

Thanks!

When I said that heat isn't going to be an issue, I was refering to the processor. Sorry for any confusion. And besides, watercooling power regulators isn't that hard. I'm currently doing it with my athlon board at a cost of only £10.

Also, I want the ability to add another similar GPU later, when they have presumably come down in price. That's why SLI is cost effective. You buy an adequate card now, and then in 2 years when games have moved on you buy another similar card, for half the price of the original card and use both.

anyways....

I'll rephrase my original question. Can some recommend me a reasonably priced mobo that supports LGA775 and that has 8 phase voltage regulators.

Thanks!

The price is too high, but here's the board I am looking at. Has 8 phase voltage regulators. I have found when overclocking the voltages on many of the boards I have worked with are shaky at best. I would recommend the 975 chipset for what you are doing. I believe the 975 was used in the article on Toms.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131591

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I don't know why you'd want 8-phase. Sure, it's a nice bit of technology but it's also very expensive and its benefits aren't proven to be that beneficial. I'm pretty certain Asus are the only ones to use it and even then it's on their Premium boards only (i.e. the P5N32-SLI).

john_thor

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well, I read that it would help a lot in the OC stakes. I kinda wanted to run the 805 oc'ed by a fair amount, given that I already have all the watercooling gear. Maybe it's pointless having 8 phase. Not having it would certainly be cheaper! :lol:

also

<noob question>Can I still have two gpus with the 975?</noob question>

Thanks for all your help guys...