Problems With EagleSoft Cirrus

I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.

During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
directory?!

So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

--
Will
11 answers Last reply

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:48:44 -0700, "Will"
    <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
    >appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
    >immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
    >until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.
    >
    >During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
    >system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
    >Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
    >Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
    >directory?!
    >
    >So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
    >computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

    well a similar thing happened when I installed an `addon' which was
    designed for WinXp.. and I'm running Win2000. It wrote about five
    system files to the C\ drive which hosed up Win2k. It would still
    start but was badly damaged. Found out which files were copied by
    looking at the install log.. and was able to restore from another box
    running Win2k.

    -G

    Are you talking about an install log for that specific application, or is
    there a global install log? If the latter, what is the file's name and
    location?

    --
    Will

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > well a similar thing happened when I installed an `addon' which was
    > designed for WinXp.. and I'm running Win2000. It wrote about five
    > system files to the C\ drive which hosed up Win2k. It would still
    > start but was badly damaged. Found out which files were copied by
    > looking at the install log.. and was able to restore from another box
    > running Win2k.
    >
    > -G

    "Will"
    > I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000
    it
    > appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
    > immediately.

    Ha.. I was going to wait for Bill Leaming to rip you a new one for trying to
    run it on a non supported operating system, but he must be sleeping late
    today.

    I ran across a guy who was running it successfully on Win2000 over on the
    Eaglesoft forum. You should go over there and track down the post and see
    if you can strike up a conversation with him.

    But, I'll bet ya 50 cents it's something to do with the windows system file
    GdiPlus.dll that should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. Some gauges have
    to have this file to run.

    Dallas

    Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen a bug report on any flightsim
    forum where the company that created the airplane says "Oh, you are right,
    it's a bug and we will fix it." I mean maybe one out of 10 posts gets that
    response, and on all of the others the answer is inevitably something very
    weak, on the order of "Well, it works on my system, so it's not a problem we
    will try to fix."

    I've given up believing in any of the companies that create Flightsim
    airplanes. I more or less accept that they do this as a hobby, and these
    airplanes don't make enough money for them to have a professional attitude
    towards bug reports and bug fixing. It's easier for me to buy a new
    computer dedicated to this hobby than to expect people to support more than
    just Windows XP. And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
    have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

    The version of GDIPlus.DLL that shows in my system32 is 5.1.3097.0. What
    version do you show in your system32 after the Cirrus installs? This could
    very well be the problem, and I appreciate your bringing that up.

    --
    Will

    "Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
    > And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
    > have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

    Flight1 has a 30 day return policy.

    > The version of GDIPlus.DLL that shows in my system32 is 5.1.3097.0.
    What
    > version do you show in your system32 after the Cirrus installs?

    GdiPlus.dll - Description: Microsoft GDI+ File version: 5.1.3102.1360
    Also look at:

    gdi.exe - Description: Windows Graphics Device Interface core comp File
    version: 3.10.0.103

    I don't know if Cirrus installed GDIPlus on my system. I recall some
    add-ons making me download and install this little gem about a year ago so
    it's around if you need it.

    Dallas

    I guess it cannot hurt to have something more recent. Do you know where to
    find the most recent versions?

    --
    Will

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:48:44 -0700, Will wrote:

    > I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
    > appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
    > immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
    > until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.

    Well, we DO STATE in the "Minimum System Requirements" that WinXP is
    needed. I know of at least three folks who are running in successfully in
    Win2k though...

    > During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
    > system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
    > Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
    > Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
    > directory?!

    There is no "critical system file" being overwritten. For whatever reason,
    WinFileProtection is being too much of a nanny. The ONLY file written to
    the system32 folder is the license file! I can guarantee you that it
    wasn't there BEFORE we put it there! ;)

    > So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
    > computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

    It's your choice. Alternatively, you could simply ask for a refund... ;)

    Bill

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:08:06 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > But, I'll bet ya 50 cents it's something to do with the windows system file
    > GdiPlus.dll that should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. Some gauges have
    > to have this file to run.

    We also insist that folks install Netframework 1.1:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

    The Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+ is here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a63ab9c-df12-4d41-933c-be590feaa05a&DisplayLang=en

    Bill

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:39:08 -0700, Will wrote:

    >And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
    > have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

    No, you have the option of REQUESTING A REFUND via the Flight1 page.

    You were told up front the "Minimum Requirements." It is IMPOSSIBLE to
    account for every possible combination of hardware and software that folks
    might have.

    We aim for a middle ground, but miracles aren't in our domain,
    unfortunately.

    Bill

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:39:08 -0700, Will wrote:

    > on the order of "Well, it works on my system, so it's not a problem we
    > will try to fix."

    I seem to remember having this conversation more than once before, Will.

    We CAN'T "fix a problem" unless it IS a "problem" on AT LEAST ONE COMPUTER
    WE HAVE AVAIALBLE!

    It's a pretty simple concept, really!

    Do you really have no concept at all about troubleshooting techniques?

    You make it sound like the mechanic who told the customer, "the tire's only
    flat on the bottom, just jack it up and rotate it so the "full side" is
    down."

    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:08:28 -0700, "Will"
    <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Are you talking about an install log for that specific application, or is
    >there a global install log? If the latter, what is the file's name and
    >location?

    It was an install log for the addon aircraft.. apparently was
    designed for WinXp.. hosed up Win2000.

    -G

Video Games