Problems With EagleSoft Cirrus

I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.

During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
directory?!

So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

--
Will

GREGORY

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:48:44 -0700, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
>appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
>immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
>until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.
>
>During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
>system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
>Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
>Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
>directory?!
>
>So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
>computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

well a similar thing happened when I installed an `addon' which was
designed for WinXp.. and I'm running Win2000. It wrote about five
system files to the C\ drive which hosed up Win2k. It would still
start but was badly damaged. Found out which files were copied by
looking at the install log.. and was able to restore from another box
running Win2k.

-G

Are you talking about an install log for that specific application, or is
there a global install log? If the latter, what is the file's name and
location?

--
Will

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> well a similar thing happened when I installed an `addon' which was
> designed for WinXp.. and I'm running Win2000. It wrote about five
> system files to the C\ drive which hosed up Win2k. It would still
> start but was badly damaged. Found out which files were copied by
> looking at the install log.. and was able to restore from another box
> running Win2k.
>
> -G

dallas

"Will"
> I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000
it
> appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
> immediately.

Ha.. I was going to wait for Bill Leaming to rip you a new one for trying to
run it on a non supported operating system, but he must be sleeping late
today.

I ran across a guy who was running it successfully on Win2000 over on the
Eaglesoft forum. You should go over there and track down the post and see
if you can strike up a conversation with him.

But, I'll bet ya 50 cents it's something to do with the windows system file
GdiPlus.dll that should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. Some gauges have
to have this file to run.

Dallas

Out of curiosity, how many times have you seen a bug report on any flightsim
forum where the company that created the airplane says "Oh, you are right,
it's a bug and we will fix it." I mean maybe one out of 10 posts gets that
response, and on all of the others the answer is inevitably something very
weak, on the order of "Well, it works on my system, so it's not a problem we
will try to fix."

I've given up believing in any of the companies that create Flightsim
airplanes. I more or less accept that they do this as a hobby, and these
airplanes don't make enough money for them to have a professional attitude
towards bug reports and bug fixing. It's easier for me to buy a new
computer dedicated to this hobby than to expect people to support more than
just Windows XP. And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

The version of GDIPlus.DLL that shows in my system32 is 5.1.3097.0. What
version do you show in your system32 after the Cirrus installs? This could
very well be the problem, and I appreciate your bringing that up.

--
Will

> Ha.. I was going to wait for Bill Leaming to rip you a new one for trying
> run it on a non supported operating system, but he must be sleeping late
> today.
>
> I ran across a guy who was running it successfully on Win2000 over on the
> Eaglesoft forum. You should go over there and track down the post and see
> if you can strike up a conversation with him.
>
> But, I'll bet ya 50 cents it's something to do with the windows system
file
> GdiPlus.dll that should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. Some gauges
have
> to have this file to run.
>
> Dallas

dallas

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
> have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

Flight1 has a 30 day return policy.

> The version of GDIPlus.DLL that shows in my system32 is 5.1.3097.0.
What
> version do you show in your system32 after the Cirrus installs?

GdiPlus.dll - Description: Microsoft GDI+ File version: 5.1.3102.1360
Also look at:

gdi.exe - Description: Windows Graphics Device Interface core comp File
version: 3.10.0.103

I don't know if Cirrus installed GDIPlus on my system. I recall some
add-ons making me download and install this little gem about a year ago so
it's around if you need it.

Dallas

I guess it cannot hurt to have something more recent. Do you know where to
find the most recent versions?

--
Will

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:48:44 -0700, Will wrote:

> I finally downloaded the Eaglesoft Cirrus, unfortunately on Windows 2000 it
> appears to not work. When I load it at the start, FS2004 simply quits
> immediately. When I attempt to load it after FS2004 is started, it runs
> until I press any button on the Avidyne, at which point FS2004 terminates.

Well, we DO STATE in the "Minimum System Requirements" that WinXP is
needed. I know of at least three folks who are running in successfully in
Win2k though...

> During the installation, Windows File Protection warns me that some critical
> system file is being overwritten, and then prompts me for the original
> Windows install CD so it can overwrite that file, which it never names.
> Eaglesoft, why are you overwriting any critical system files in the system32
> directory?!

There is no "critical system file" being overwritten. For whatever reason,
WinFileProtection is being too much of a nanny. The ONLY file written to
the system32 folder is the license file! I can guarantee you that it
wasn't there BEFORE we put it there! ;)

> So, it looks like this one is going to have to wait for me to buy another
> computer that I can dedicate to running Windows 2003 / FS2004.

It's your choice. Alternatively, you could simply ask for a refund... ;)

Bill

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:08:06 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> But, I'll bet ya 50 cents it's something to do with the windows system file
> GdiPlus.dll that should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\. Some gauges have
> to have this file to run.

We also insist that folks install Netframework 1.1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

The Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+ is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6a63ab9c-df12-4d41-933c-be590feaa05a&DisplayLang=en

Bill

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:39:08 -0700, Will wrote:

>And if I buy an airplane that doesn't work at all, I just
> have to be prepared to lose $30 and move on.

No, you have the option of REQUESTING A REFUND via the Flight1 page.

You were told up front the "Minimum Requirements." It is IMPOSSIBLE to
account for every possible combination of hardware and software that folks
might have.

We aim for a middle ground, but miracles aren't in our domain,
unfortunately.

Bill

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:39:08 -0700, Will wrote:

> on the order of "Well, it works on my system, so it's not a problem we
> will try to fix."

I seem to remember having this conversation more than once before, Will.

We CAN'T "fix a problem" unless it IS a "problem" on AT LEAST ONE COMPUTER
WE HAVE AVAIALBLE!

It's a pretty simple concept, really!

Do you really have no concept at all about troubleshooting techniques?

You make it sound like the mechanic who told the customer, "the tire's only
flat on the bottom, just jack it up and rotate it so the "full side" is
down."

GREGORY

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:08:28 -0700, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Are you talking about an install log for that specific application, or is
>there a global install log? If the latter, what is the file's name and
>location?

It was an install log for the addon aircraft.. apparently was
designed for WinXp.. hosed up Win2000.

-G