lap top functioning as monitor at pc boot time

achurch48335

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I want to make a tower pc more portable, the display even a 14" is to large, has anyone used/modified or made a lap top function as the main monitor for a reqular PC, I realize the laptop would have to be up and running first. Any "faq" references would be appreciated.

ps: A laptop does not contain enough slots; and say I have three PCs running and they do not need a realtime monitor.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I'm not sure I understand. You want to use a laptop as a monitor for a tower? What is wrong with getting a 15 inch LCD monitor? If you had kvm switch then you could use it was multiple stations.

achurch48335

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I agree a small LCD would provide more portablity than a standard 21 inch CRT, but the laptop would provide functionality for network monitoring; a digital voltmeter, or scope..., just more functionality.
I realize I may have to modify the laptop, I am just trying not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I am just trying not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel, but back to the original question. I know of no way to easily make a laptop into a monitor, but I'm confident it can be done with enough determination. So, sorry, I can't help you.

The only easy was would be if the LT had a video input, and you could just use a video output (TV, SVHS, whatever) on the tower to feed into the LT.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Would it not be easier to run a remote desktop program in which you can access the PCs over ethernet/wireless?

As for the laptop acting as a scope, there is software and hardware solutions available.

Here is one after doing a quick Google search: http://www.zelscope.com/features.html

This is based on using the laptop sound cards A/D circuitry.

Use Ethereal for network protocol analyzing/monitoring - it can get as technical as you need it to be.