how much am i missing out on?

mistaken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I am finnally ready to upgrade my computer.

i am currently running a
1.4 gh 1600+ thunderbird
with 3/4 g of ram
and a bargin xfx nvidia 5200 graphics card
with a 40g hard drive

now i really feel the pinch when i comes to hard drive space, and decompressing a file or doing digital editing.

I really want to build the over clock rig

pentium D 820
with 1 g of ram (possibly 2g if i can get it for less 150)
a mid range nvidia 7800 or 7600 gt
with atleast 250g hard drive

I work with new computers all day long, but i don't see any real difrence in their genral response. I don't really want to spend 1000 if i am not going to see any performance gain in anything except games and video editing. (i do like to multi task and can drag down my system that way) I am just looking for some general impressions.

thanks

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004

I work with new computers all day long, but i don't see any real difrence in their genral response. I don't really want to spend 1000 if i am not going to see any performance gain in anything except games and video editing. (i do like to multi task and can drag down my system that way) I am just looking for some general impressions.
If something already happens instantly, really, how can it get any faster?

-- Sadly not even the latest processors are clairvoyant. I think we'd need a new socket for that.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

i am currently running a
1.4 gh 1600+ thunderbird
with 3/4 g of ram
and a bargin xfx nvidia 5200 graphics card
with a 40g hard drive

now i really feel the pinch when i comes to hard drive space, and decompressing a file or doing digital editing.

I really want to build the over clock rig

pentium D 820
with 1 g of ram (possibly 2g if i can get it for less 150)
a mid range nvidia 7800 or 7600 gt
with atleast 250g hard drive

thanks
Get the Pentium 920 D, it's similarly priced to the 820, runs cooler, has 2MB L2 cache/core, and will overclock like there's no tomorrow. :wink:

NinjaRigger

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
One question... Do you game? if so... then theres some minimu specs you should look at... but if you dont.... why not go cheap? and get a nice sized monitor... or turn it into a windows media center pc and spend the extra on a nice LCD or Plasma tv with it... what i would do