Taxi speeds?

Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should taxi at
walking speed. What about actual practice?

Addison airport is the third largest general aviation airport in the country
with a runway of 7,200 feet. It's crowded, in a hurry and it's a long taxi
to the hold position. Subjectively speaking, it seems the usual practice is
to haul ass on taxi. I didn't have a radar gun, but my best guess would be
25 mph.

I gather that there is not an FAA maximum speed limit and taxi speeds, are
at the pilot's discretion?

Dallas
6 answers Last reply
More about taxi speeds

    Hi Varmit,

    That's an easy one, mate - whenever you get a taxi, just leave it up to
    the driver. :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward

    Dallas wrote:
    > Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should
    > taxi at walking speed. What about actual practice?

    My CFI used to say: "Everybody taxis too fast, except me and thee - but
    sometimes I worry about thee."

    Dallas wrote:
    > Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should taxi at
    > walking speed. What about actual practice?
    >
    > Addison airport is the third largest general aviation airport in the country
    > with a runway of 7,200 feet. It's crowded, in a hurry and it's a long taxi
    > to the hold position. Subjectively speaking, it seems the usual practice is
    > to haul ass on taxi. I didn't have a radar gun, but my best guess would be
    > 25 mph.
    >
    > I gather that there is not an FAA maximum speed limit and taxi speeds, are
    > at the pilot's discretion?
    >
    > Dallas

    Hi Dallas!

    I've had my PPSEL for about three years, so I've had just enough time to
    learn some bad habits! I fly either a Cessna 152 or 172 depending my
    "mood" or if I'm taking passengers. When taxing around other aircraft,
    and certainly on the ramp, I'll taxi at walking pace. Once out on the
    taxi way, I'll taxi at a slow - quick jog if the wind is light. However,
    with a strong tail, quartering tail, or cross wind I'll taxi slower. The
    airplane gets squirrelly when you need to turn or maneuver if you taxi
    much quicker anyways, though a lot of pilots tend to taxi too fast
    nevertheless of the risks.

    We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
    setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
    only taxing at running speed.

    Airplanes are fast in the sky, but are quirky on the ground. :)

    Best regards,

    Randy

    "Randy Wentzel"
    > Airplanes are fast in the sky, but are quirky on the ground. :)

    Better than the other way around!

    :-)

    thanks

    Dallas

    "Randy Wentzel" <randyw@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
    > setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
    > only taxing at running speed.

    Years ago, at some military field, I saw a high-speed taxiway that was
    limited to 100 KTS! Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't remember
    where it was.

    Earl

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    Earl Needham wrote:

    >>We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
    >>setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
    >>only taxing at running speed.
    >

    > Years ago, at some military field, I saw a high-speed taxiway that was
    > limited to 100 KTS! Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't remember
    > where it was.
    >
    > Earl

    That reminds me of a time at Ft Riley KS. The final check that would
    complete the test flight and then I could put the Cobra on the flight
    line was the inflight SCAS (Stability Control Augmentation System -
    sometimes abbreviated to "SAS" in other aircraft) check. The aircraft
    had to be at 100 Knots, straight and level in stabilized flight. With
    the helicopter in that profile I had to use my pinkie to dis-engage the
    SCAS system. The aircraft had to remain basically that flight profile
    for the check to pass. The weather was terrible and tower had me waiting
    and waiting for SVFR clearance because Kansas City Approach had control
    of the airspace above the airfield. Having a thought I asked the tower
    if they would clear me for a high speed hover taxi down the runway. They
    cleared me and I pulled in as much power as I could and accelerated down
    the runway. As soon as I got into the 100K S&L stabilized I disengaged
    SCAS and fast as I could, try to stop that beast before I crossed the
    airfield boundary fence which turned out to be an interesting maneuver.
    The check was within limits and the aircraft was released for flight so
    that some dumb assed pilot could break it again. :) The tower had
    cleared me for high speed taxi.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70