dallas

Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should taxi at
walking speed. What about actual practice?

Addison airport is the third largest general aviation airport in the country
with a runway of 7,200 feet. It's crowded, in a hurry and it's a long taxi
to the hold position. Subjectively speaking, it seems the usual practice is
to haul ass on taxi. I didn't have a radar gun, but my best guess would be
25 mph.

I gather that there is not an FAA maximum speed limit and taxi speeds, are
at the pilot's discretion?

Dallas

Hi Varmit,

That's an easy one, mate - whenever you get a taxi, just leave it up to
the driver. :)

Regards,
John Ward
> Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should taxi
> at
> walking speed. What about actual practice?
>
> Addison airport is the third largest general aviation airport in the
> country
> with a runway of 7,200 feet. It's crowded, in a hurry and it's a long
> taxi
> to the hold position. Subjectively speaking, it seems the usual practice
> is
> to haul ass on taxi. I didn't have a radar gun, but my best guess would
> be
> 25 mph.
>
> I gather that there is not an FAA maximum speed limit and taxi speeds, are
> at the pilot's discretion?
>
> Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:
> Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should
> taxi at walking speed. What about actual practice?

My CFI used to say: "Everybody taxis too fast, except me and thee - but
sometimes I worry about thee."

Dallas wrote:
> Time and again in this newsgroup people have written that you should taxi at
> walking speed. What about actual practice?
>
> Addison airport is the third largest general aviation airport in the country
> with a runway of 7,200 feet. It's crowded, in a hurry and it's a long taxi
> to the hold position. Subjectively speaking, it seems the usual practice is
> to haul ass on taxi. I didn't have a radar gun, but my best guess would be
> 25 mph.
>
> I gather that there is not an FAA maximum speed limit and taxi speeds, are
> at the pilot's discretion?
>
> Dallas

Hi Dallas!

I've had my PPSEL for about three years, so I've had just enough time to
learn some bad habits! I fly either a Cessna 152 or 172 depending my
"mood" or if I'm taking passengers. When taxing around other aircraft,
and certainly on the ramp, I'll taxi at walking pace. Once out on the
taxi way, I'll taxi at a slow - quick jog if the wind is light. However,
with a strong tail, quartering tail, or cross wind I'll taxi slower. The
airplane gets squirrelly when you need to turn or maneuver if you taxi
much quicker anyways, though a lot of pilots tend to taxi too fast
nevertheless of the risks.

We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
only taxing at running speed.

Airplanes are fast in the sky, but are quirky on the ground. :)

Best regards,

Randy

dallas

"Randy Wentzel"
> Airplanes are fast in the sky, but are quirky on the ground. :)

Better than the other way around!

:)

thanks

Dallas

"Randy Wentzel" <randyw@sonic.net> wrote in message
> We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
> setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
> only taxing at running speed.

Years ago, at some military field, I saw a high-speed taxiway that was
limited to 100 KTS! Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't remember
where it was.

Earl

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Earl Needham wrote:

>>We have a "high speed" taxiway at my airport (Sonoma County, CA), that's
>>setup for faster taxing if your plane is capable, but even then you're
>>only taxing at running speed.
>

> Years ago, at some military field, I saw a high-speed taxiway that was
> limited to 100 KTS! Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't remember
> where it was.
>
> Earl

That reminds me of a time at Ft Riley KS. The final check that would
complete the test flight and then I could put the Cobra on the flight
line was the inflight SCAS (Stability Control Augmentation System -
sometimes abbreviated to "SAS" in other aircraft) check. The aircraft
had to be at 100 Knots, straight and level in stabilized flight. With
the helicopter in that profile I had to use my pinkie to dis-engage the
SCAS system. The aircraft had to remain basically that flight profile
for the check to pass. The weather was terrible and tower had me waiting
and waiting for SVFR clearance because Kansas City Approach had control
of the airspace above the airfield. Having a thought I asked the tower
if they would clear me for a high speed hover taxi down the runway. They
cleared me and I pulled in as much power as I could and accelerated down
the runway. As soon as I got into the 100K S&L stabilized I disengaged
SCAS and fast as I could, try to stop that beast before I crossed the
airfield boundary fence which turned out to be an interesting maneuver.
The check was within limits and the aircraft was released for flight so
that some dumb assed pilot could break it again. :) The tower had
cleared me for high speed taxi.

--

boB,
SAG 70