8MB Raptor HDD Buffer vs 16MB

polishruben

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004
I am wondering about that - since I saw a few posts that say that over 8MB cache, you won't see any signigicant difference..

So buying 8MB cache vs 16MB for 74 GB raptors - is it worth the extra money? Any benchmarks available?

thank you fellaz

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I am wondering about that - since I saw a few posts that say that over 8MB cache, you won't see any signigicant difference.. So buying 8MB cache vs 16MB for 74 GB raptors - is it worth the extra money? Any benchmarks available?

It depends on how you use the drive. I'd wager that most people would never know the difference. It will show in benchmarks, though.

polishruben

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004
priorities:

1) Graphic Design
2) System performance ( multitasking, antivirus monitoring, installing new software etc )
2) Video Edit ( rendering )
3) Streaming Rhapsody music
4) Downloads ( bittorent, e-mule, limewire etc )

ps. ALL my downloads are for educational purposes only, and are 100% legal :)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
priorities:

1) Graphic Design
2) System performance ( multitasking, antivirus monitoring, installing new software etc )
2) Video Edit ( rendering )
3) Streaming Rhapsody music
4) Downloads ( bittorent, e-mule, limewire etc )

ps. ALL my downloads are for educational purposes only, and are 100% legal :)

Macros written for editing projects might benefit from a larger cache and if you work long days at max throughput pace, then it could turn out to be a real performance advantage for you. I've set up automated processes that would benefit far more than those where there was the need for continuous interaction. Stop to blow your nose and that extra cache is offering no advantage. If your servers are getting hit hard and are near capacity, you may be able to easily see differences in cache, but if your work is interactive and you like to stop and stare into space dreamstorming or if you hang by the coffee pot when the cutie down the hall is refilling her cup, then you might just have lost any advantage.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The 74 GB Raptors with 16 MB of cache are supposely a new design, a smaller version of the 150 GB rather than the old 74 GB with a larger cache.

The benchmakrs I have seen show that it had a substantially greater sustained tranfer rate. A bit higher than the 150 GB's!

Google for WD740ADFD & HDTach and you will find user generated graphs as well as some foreign language reviews.