Help with RAM options in BIOS

johnjailbait

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Ok so I got my ram lowered from 3-3-3-8 to 2-3-3-6 like it should be and got voltage to 2.75. It seems prime95 runs slower on these timing tho it shouldnt. In CPU-z it shows all the timings for the ram and it says my Bank Cycle Time (trc) is 7. Should it be 7 or lower or higher? Im running 2x1GB sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200. Also I have the NVIDIA Monitor View that shows temp of my CPU, SYSTEM, and GPU. My CPU is 26C, System is 38C, and GPU is 44C. When the system gets to be 110F or higher it starts flashing in red in the program and I get a beeping noise from my computer. Is it bad that I have these temps in my System? I have thermaltake Armor case and 2x120mm fans and 2x92mm fans with a Zalman 9500.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ok so I got my ram lowered from 3-3-3-8 to 2-3-3-6 like it should be and got voltage to 2.75. It seems prime95 runs slower on these timing tho it shouldnt. In CPU-z it shows all the timings for the ram and it says my Bank Cycle Time (trc) is 7. Should it be 7 or lower or higher? Im running 2x1GB sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200. Also I have the NVIDIA Monitor View that shows temp of my CPU, SYSTEM, and GPU. My CPU is 26C, System is 38C, and GPU is 44C. When the system gets to be 110F or higher it starts flashing in red in the program and I get a beeping noise from my computer. Is it bad that I have these temps in my System? I have thermaltake Armor case and 2x120mm fans and 2x92mm fans with a Zalman 9500.

Are you sure 2.75v is correct for your ram? Seems high but I have never run 1gb sticks either.
I cant help you with the timings, I always leave my timings at the factory memory specs.
You temps seem good, if not great. If your getting an overheat warning then you can change those settings in the bios or in the temperature control software that came with your mobo. Some video cards also have temp control software that will give you warnings. My gpu idles at 58c and my cpu idles at 36c so your temps are very good.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

Are you sure 2.75v is correct for your ram? Seems high but I have never run 1gb sticks either.
I cant help you with the timings, I always leave my timings at the factory memory specs.
You temps seem good, if not great. If your getting an overheat warning then you can change those settings in the bios or in the temperature control software that came with your mobo. Some video cards also have temp control software that will give you warnings. My gpu idles at 52c and my cpu idles at 36c so your temps are very good.

johnjailbait

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Damnit I was playint Half Life 2 Episode 1 and was about 40 min into it and I start to hear the beeping noise again and next thing I know my system is rebooting. WTF SO my system is getting so hot its rebooting itself now ?

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Hang on hang on. I think your temps are wrong since your CPU is usually just as high as the system temp. I recommend you turn off NVIDIA monitor and use motherboard monitor: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
That should use temperature probes rather than software to find your cpu temp.

In theory your setup should be fine for temperatures but get a reading of idle temps and then check where they go to at load. Tell us if your temps are over 55'C at load.

Bank cycle time can actually be loosened off without fear of performance loss. I have mine at 11.

splint999

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
He also hasn't stated if it just happened as a result of changing the memory timings. If it has then there is your answer. Relax the timings. If not then get your system stable first before messing about with the memory timings.

Also have you tried running super-pi? Any errors.

What about memtester? Any errors?

In system properties under advanced do you have the option enabled to automatically reboot in the event of a system failure?

Tried running pc without side panel to see if that helps stability. What about temps when system reboots. What are they. Also is there a log file with nvidia monitor? What does it show your temps are at. And also what are the max temp settings in nvidia monitor.