HP Deskjet 5550 printing blurred/misaligned text - misalig..

Hi all,
My Deskjet 5550, after several years of great service, has suddenly
started printing blurred text.

Looking closely, it appears that it is printing a very slightly
misaligned version of each letter - giving a blurred effect.

Printing using the black cartridge only seems to fix the problem,
indicating that the colour cartridge is out of alignment. The problem
occurred just after changing the colour cartridge, so there's
definitely a link there!

However, running the 'calibrate printer' procedure does not fix the
problem. Neither does removing and re-inserting the colour cartridge.

Anyone got any thoughts as to how to fix the problem??

Thanks,

James
2 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 5550 printing blurred misaligned text misalig

    As far as I know, the 5550 (I've got one too) should use the black 56
    cartridge only on text documents without you having to do anything to
    manually select it, so I wonder if the problem is that the documents you are
    choosing to print don't have black as the default font colour in your text
    software. Or possibly your text is not really text at all (in the sense of
    being a bunch of ASCII) but is an image, just as if it were a scanned text
    that hasn't been OCR'd. Keep it simple and print from Notepad to check.

    PS
    My 2 yr old many times refilled 56 cartridge has just started giving fuzzy
    edges unless I use 'Best'. Old age reaches us all.

    <jlavery@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > My Deskjet 5550, after several years of great service, has suddenly
    > started printing blurred text.
    >
    > Looking closely, it appears that it is printing a very slightly
    > misaligned version of each letter - giving a blurred effect.
    >
    > Printing using the black cartridge only seems to fix the problem,
    > indicating that the colour cartridge is out of alignment. The problem
    > occurred just after changing the colour cartridge, so there's
    > definitely a link there!
    >
    > However, running the 'calibrate printer' procedure does not fix the
    > problem. Neither does removing and re-inserting the colour cartridge.
    >
    > Anyone got any thoughts as to how to fix the problem??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > James

    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the tips - will try them out.

    James

    SteveB wrote:
    > As far as I know, the 5550 (I've got one too) should use the black
    56
    > cartridge only on text documents without you having to do anything to

    > manually select it, so I wonder if the problem is that the documents
    you are
    > choosing to print don't have black as the default font colour in your
    text
    > software. Or possibly your text is not really text at all (in the
    sense of
    > being a bunch of ASCII) but is an image, just as if it were a scanned
    text
    > that hasn't been OCR'd. Keep it simple and print from Notepad to
    check.

    > PS
    > My 2 yr old many times refilled 56 cartridge has just started giving
    fuzzy
    > edges unless I use 'Best'. Old age reaches us all.
    >

    > <jlavery@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > My Deskjet 5550, after several years of great service, has suddenly
    > > started printing blurred text.
    > >
    > > Looking closely, it appears that it is printing a very slightly
    > > misaligned version of each letter - giving a blurred effect.
    > >
    > > Printing using the black cartridge only seems to fix the problem,
    > > indicating that the colour cartridge is out of alignment. The
    problem
    > > occurred just after changing the colour cartridge, so there's
    > > definitely a link there!
    > >
    > > However, running the 'calibrate printer' procedure does not fix the
    > > problem. Neither does removing and re-inserting the colour
    cartridge.

    > > Anyone got any thoughts as to how to fix the problem??
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > James

Printers Deskjet Hewlett Packard Peripherals