Which are the best fans?

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi,

I've recently purchased a case that was advertised to have three Cooler Master Ultra Silent fans preinstalled. They operate at 11.2 cfm
When I opened the case I found three Vantec Stealth fans that operate at 27. cpm.
Along with being irritated about the switch of fans, I'm wondering about the value of cfm vs. quiet dbs. The case also has a 'custom' installed sound package to help reduce noise levels.
So, do I go after the fans I ordered, the Cooler Masters or simply keep the Vantecs' because they move more air?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks, Tanker...

Actually, I inadvertently hit the submit key twice...don't ask me to explain why :oops:
Any ideas about the fans?

Ross

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks, Tanker...

Actually, I inadvertently hit the submit key twice...don't ask me to explain why :oops:
Any ideas about the fans?

Ross
Yes, that's been happening a lot in here lately. I think TOM's servers are having a hard time keeping up. As far as the fans, the other posts in the first post seem right, but i wouldn't bother with fans that flow 11 cfm, as they are next to useless. I wouldn't drop under 20cfm for any case fans. GL :)

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi Bilbo...

Yes, that's a given. More spin, more air, more noise. I've learned that the amount of air moved is more important than fan noise as long as it's not shreiking for the Messiah :lol:

Ross

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hi,

I've recently purchased a case that was advertised to have three Cooler Master Ultra Silent fans preinstalled. They operate at 11.2 cfm
When I opened the case I found three Vantec Stealth fans that operate at 27. cpm.
Along with being irritated about the switch of fans, I'm wondering about the value of cfm vs. quiet dbs. The case also has a 'custom' installed sound package to help reduce noise levels.
So, do I go after the fans I ordered, the Cooler Masters or simply keep the Vantecs' because they move more air?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

If you're looking for the best in quiet fans, I'd suggest you go to www.silentpcreview.com and look on their boards.

That said, I believe that nexus fans are considered among the best. I may have read that Scythe now has something better, but I'm not sure.

Nexus fans are made by Yateloon, and those are generally much cheaper (when you can find them) than nexus. However, those run faster (and are louder) at 12V. Most undervolt them to 7 or 5v or use a fan controller.

Anyway, go to silentpcereview. Just keep in mind your quiet is probably a tornado to those guys ;)

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Hi Bilbo...

Yes, that's a given. More spin, more air, more noise. I've learned that the amount of air moved is more important than fan noise as long as it's not shreiking for the Messiah :lol:

Ross

Sorry no. While fan speed (in RPMs) is indicative of increased noise, the relationship is NOT a linear one. Fan diameter is the biggest issue: the smaller they are the noisier they are. This over-rides RPM speed. You have to slow a tiny fan down a very great deal to stop them being noisy. Then they're useless. :p

The design of the fan blade is crucial too: poor tip design results in tip-vortices which make a lot of noise.

YS-Tech has largely solved this issue with their TMD (Tip Magnetic Drive) fans which do not have a motor in the center - but rather a motor around the outside of the fan. There is no tip to the blades, because they're surrounded by a plastic strip - so they are very quiet indeed. They also pump air into the middle of the fan, because there is only a very small "dead spot" compared to traditional fans.

TMD fans do make a strange sound when they start up though.

These would be my choice if possible, but they only make a stupid 67 mm fan, no 80mm or 120mm fans - which is a real shame, because technically they are far superior to even a Vantec Stealth - which are pretty good when run at a speed slightly lower than their standard rating. (It's what I spec mostly)

The type of motor, and how many ball bearings they have is also an indicator of noise. More bearings = better. Plus, ball-bearing fans also last longer.

On top of this, fans accumulate a lot of dust, and the blades themselves behave differently when coated in dust: more noise + less throughput. That is why you need to clean fans regularly.

I used to run a box with 13 fans in it -- don't laugh, I had to - to keep an old T-Bird 1.0 running at 1.66, and to keep the R8500 video card with 2 full CPU heatsinks on it cool, after extreme over-volting and overclocking.

However, over the years I have altered my stance on fans: they stink.

These days, I only buy cases which have 120mm fans (front and rear). I buy passively cooled PSUs, or items which have 120mm fans which only operate when the thing gets hot. I also specify passive CPU coolers such as the excellent (but hard to install on some mobos) Thermaltake Sonic Tower, and then I install passively cooled graphics cards too. If the motherboard I want doesn't have a passive northbridge HS, then I make one for it. usually from an all-copper CPU heatsink, or I order an ABIT OTES heatpipe motherboard cooler, and modify it to suit.

This means PCs I build these days have a maximum of three fans - and all are 120mm. I run them through a fan-bus which allows me control over inlet and exhaust fans, and I keep the RPMs low unless I'm gaming.

The rule I follow is this: I put enough air through the case to avoid crashes, but no more. Even though heat kills components, the useful lifetime, when at maximum operating tempertaure is still much longer than the useful life of a PC. It certainly IS possible to have components cooled TOO MUCH.

The big thing is that having a quiet PC is a genuine pleasure. If you have a noisy box now, and think you like it, then you are mistaken. Build a new box. Make it a quiet one. I guarantee you, you will NEVER own a noisy PC again. And that's a fact.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
The big thing is that having a quiet PC is a genuine pleasure. If you have a noisy box now, and think you like it, then you are mistaken. Build a new box. Make it a quiet one. I guarantee you, you will NEVER own a noisy PC again. And that's a fact.

True, my dad has an ultra quiet computer in the next room,
its nice and everything for the average user but i'm an enthusiast and i like things crazy. :twisted:

For me performance is more important than any noise issues and the roar you hear bellowing out of my case is comparable to what you might feel when you hear a huge v8 start up.

I'm not kidding either... you can hear my computer downstairs when its running.

As for the original post:

You should consider buying a fan controller if noise is an issue for you.

I have one.. but i unhooked it because I have a tendency to forget to turn the fans up when i stress the system which leads to dangerous situations. 8O

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi Mobius,

Ah, Christchurch...Aukland...gorgeous, gorgeous. Was there way back when ships were made of skins and wood :wink: Loved what I got to see.
Thank you so much for the 'education'...much appreciated. My case is a modded Lian Li 6070b with 3 120's preinstalled. It also has two 80's...front, and exhaust in the back. Including the PSU fans I think I have enough...I hope. It's why I'm so concerned about noise. As you say, the two 80's and PSU fans will probably contribute the most noise. My PSU is an Antec True Control 550 that sez it'll control fan speeds automatically according to heat levels. Just thought I'd mention the above to give you a better description of what I'm building. It's my first...nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof! I do have a guru that's gonna help, so maybe I won't destroy everything
Again, thanks for all your comments.
If there's anything else you can add, I'd be beholden to ya!

Ross

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It certainly IS possible to have components cooled TOO MUCH.
Not true, at least when talking about air cooling. Yes, LN2 and phase change can cool components too low, but the main danger is condensation. TEC coolers can cool to below ambient, no harm, as long as precautions are taking regarding condensation. Most components can handle below ambient,and that does NO harm. LN2, and phase change can present problems with CPU's(cold bugs....AMD). So....within the scope of the posters situation, he should NEVER worry about too much cooling. Noise is the biggest disadvantage to achieving cooling "perfection". :?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
These days, I only buy cases which have 120mm fans (front and rear). I buy passively cooled PSUs, or items which have 120mm fans which only operate when the thing gets hot.

now...ever see an Antec NeoHE, 80 mm fan int he rear barely moves, and i cant hear it.