Sign in with
Your question

Which are the best fans?

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2006 7:18:15 PM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a case that was advertised to have three Cooler Master Ultra Silent fans preinstalled. They operate at 11.2 cfm
When I opened the case I found three Vantec Stealth fans that operate at 27. cpm.
Along with being irritated about the switch of fans, I'm wondering about the value of cfm vs. quiet dbs. The case also has a 'custom' installed sound package to help reduce noise levels.
So, do I go after the fans I ordered, the Cooler Masters or simply keep the Vantecs' because they move more air? What some high quality fan brands?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

More about : fans

a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2006 7:55:39 PM

Go here for a list of 120mm fans.

From this list of 120mm I would consider the following:

Antec 120x25mm Tricool
GlobalWin 120x25mm Silent
Nexus D12SL-12-BW Black & White 120mm Real Silent
Yate Loon D12SL-12 120x25mm

Nexus fans are cherrypicked Yate Loons that tends make less noise.

Vantec Stealth aren't really that quiet.

A good resource to find out more about quiet fans that can move a decent amount air is www.SilentPCReview.com.

120mm fans are usually noisy when running at full speed so use a Zalman Fan Mate 2 for each fan to reduce the RPM, and thus noise.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2006 7:59:38 PM

Go here for a list of 120mm fans.

From this list of 120mm I would consider the following:

Antec 120x25mm Tricool
GlobalWin 120x25mm Silent
Nexus D12SL-12-BW Black & White 120mm Real Silent
Yate Loon D12SL-12 120x25mm

Nexus fans are cherrypicked Yate Loons that tends make less noise.

Vantec Stealth aren't really that quiet.

A good resource to find out more about quiet fans that can move a decent amount air is www.SilentPCReview.com.

120mm fans are usually noisy when running at full speed so use a Zalman Fan Mate 2 for each fan to reduce the RPM, and thus noise.
Related resources
June 14, 2006 8:35:27 PM

Jaguarskx

Thanks for your response. You certainly gave me alot to choose from. Just talked with the retailer about the fans and he stated the Vantec Stealth fan should be considered an upgrade as to its cooling abilities and they had been included because the Cooler Master fans hadn't come in as promised.
Sooo...guess I'll try'em out and see what happens. He offered to send free of charge a fan speed control if the noise level bothers me.
Ya just don't know who you're dealing with sometimes with online purchases, do ya?

Thanks again!

Ross
June 14, 2006 9:18:05 PM

I think that you got a deal, if your case is sound insulated then get a fan that moves more air... a cool computer is a happy computer.

If you can get him to throw in a fan controller go for it. It's a free $30 component that can help control noise and heat.

I have 5 case fans that are all fan controlled and the 3 120mm fans are rated at 79 cfm when I have them on max...
a c 121 ) Power supply
June 14, 2006 9:27:40 PM

I think you got a good deal too if he's throwing in a controller.

I prefer variable speed fans so I can minimize the noise. My system doesn't get over 41c even after hours of Guild Wars, so the low settings are obviously working. The stock fan on my 7600GT is probably the loudest fan in my case; not quite ready to spend $30+ for a Zalman VF.
I also prefer ball bearings to sleeve bearings. I remember from the old days how often those cheapie sleeve bearings would bind. I think I've been getting mostly Thermaltake 120mm or Arctic Cooling 80mm fans.
June 14, 2006 11:46:58 PM

Well for what its worth I usually stick with either Panaflo (panasonic) or Silex.

Panaflo make 3 speeds for each size (8,9 & 12cm).

Keeps my P4 3.0 from getting above 40 deg C (Thermalright XP120, not actually that good... no copper core)

Though I usually stick Silex in my 'daily driver' since they offer less db per cfm (though they are expensive).

I bought once vantec, I'll make a cat toy out of it some day...

I like quiet, but not enough to stuff H2O in my boxes, call me a wussy if you want...
June 15, 2006 2:01:58 AM

Antec Tricool's
!