ZyXEL ATA question

I have been searching for a suitable ATA and found what I need in the
ZyXEL P-2002L, but it does not appear to be available in the UK. (Least
I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.)

The beauty of this ATA is that it has:

Multiple SIP Accounts
PSTN (FXO)
POTS (FXS)
LAN/WAN/QoS

Does anyone know of any other kit like this, or whether the ZyXEL is
available with a UK power adapter?

Many thanks,

David

David Floyd wrote:

> I have been searching for a suitable ATA and found what I need in the
> ZyXEL P-2002L, but it does not appear to be available in the UK. (Least
> I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.)
>
> The beauty of this ATA is that it has:
>
> Multiple SIP Accounts
> PSTN (FXO)
> POTS (FXS)
> LAN/WAN/QoS
>
> Does anyone know of any other kit like this, or whether the ZyXEL is
> available with a UK power adapter?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> David

The Sipura-3000 has FXO and FXS. I think it can handle multiple SIP
accounts too...

Alex.

In message of Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Alex Bloor writes
>David Floyd wrote:
>> I have been searching for a suitable ATA and found what I need in
>>the ZyXEL P-2002L, but it does not appear to be available in the UK.
>>(Least I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.)
>> The beauty of this ATA is that it has:
>> Multiple SIP Accounts
>> PSTN (FXO)
>> POTS (FXS)
>> LAN/WAN/QoS
>> Does anyone know of any other kit like this, or whether the ZyXEL is
>>available with a UK power adapter?
>> Many thanks,
>> David
>
>The Sipura-3000 has FXO and FXS. I think it can handle multiple SIP
>accounts too...

Thanks.

But unfortunately it doesn't have LAN/WAN/QoS

David

David Floyd wrote:
> In message of Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Alex Bloor writes
>
>> David Floyd wrote:
>>
>>> I have been searching for a suitable ATA and found what I need in
>>> the ZyXEL P-2002L, but it does not appear to be available in the UK.
>>> (Least I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells it.)
>>> The beauty of this ATA is that it has:
>>> Multiple SIP Accounts
>>> PSTN (FXO)
>>> POTS (FXS)
>>> LAN/WAN/QoS
>>> Does anyone know of any other kit like this, or whether the ZyXEL is
>>> available with a UK power adapter?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> David
>>

>> The Sipura-3000 has FXO and FXS. I think it can handle multiple SIP
>> accounts too...
>>
> Thanks.
>
> But unfortunately it doesn't have LAN/WAN/QoS
>
> David

Hmm. Ok, it obviously has LAN, but perhaps I don't know what you mean by
ATA in this context?...

Cheers!

In message of Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Alex Bloor writes
>David Floyd wrote:

>>> The Sipura-3000 has FXO and FXS. I think it can handle multiple SIP
>>>accounts too...
>>>
>> Thanks.
>> But unfortunately it doesn't have LAN/WAN/QoS
>> David
>
>Hmm. Ok, it obviously has LAN, but perhaps I don't know what you mean
>by ATA in this context?...

I think I mean an ATA with added features.

There are basic ATA's about, then there's the Grandstream 486 which can
provide QoS because it sits between the modem and router and can control
traffic in its favour, but only has one SIP account.

Moving on there's the Sipura 3000, which only has 1 ethernet port for
connection to a router and therefore does not have QoS, but has multiple
SIP accounts.

Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
apparently isn't available in the UK.

No-one's come forward yet who's using one of these in the UK, so I'm
reluctant to make a move without liaison with some-one else.

I've been searching on the net to see if there is another ATA with these
features, but no luck yet.

It is early days yet in the world of VoIP.

David
(With apologies to Alex for an earlier private reply instead of to the
newsgroup)

Hi!

> I think I mean an ATA with added features.

Ahh..

> There are basic ATA's about, then there's the Grandstream 486 which can
> provide QoS because it sits between the modem and router and can control
> traffic in its favour, but only has one SIP account.

I *hated* Grandstream's bugetone 101s, which has left me with a bit of a
bad impression of Grandstream in general. Compared to Snom phones
they're junk. I also always thought the Grandstream kit was not
perfectly setup for UK spec phones (might be wrong though?).

> Moving on there's the Sipura 3000, which only has 1 ethernet port for
> connection to a router and therefore does not have QoS, but has multiple
> SIP accounts.

Ah, I see. Understood. Having said that, the Sipura does match UK
phonelines quite nicely (phone line spec wise, it has a very clever
system for impedance matching). It doesn't have two ethernet ports, so,
as you say, cannot QoS, but to be doing traffic management in this way
seems a bit odd to me. I'd far rather use something like a Firebrick
(www.firebrick.co.uk) to do proper (fully controllable) traffic shaping
before the router..

> Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
> apparently isn't available in the UK.

It does look interesting. Having looked in all the usual places I can't
find anybody in the UK that sells it though :( Or even anything that
matches its functionlity....

> No-one's come forward yet who's using one of these in the UK, so I'm
> reluctant to make a move without liaison with some-one else.

To be honest, Zyxel haven't impressed me with their Prestige P2000W.
Their UI is nasty and the phone is riddled with issues and problems. It
persistantly runs out of power (due to some issue with the
batteries/power saving) and has never really worked all that well,
sadly. If they can't get something like a SIP phone right (with no
international phone line specifications to deal with) I'd worry about
their general capability in the VoIP arena at the moment.....

> I've been searching on the net to see if there is another ATA with these
> features, but no luck yet.
>
> It is early days yet in the world of VoIP.

Indeed. We've played with a reasonable bag of kit though, and found VoIP
to be very workable and 'business grade'. Having said that, this
situation has only been reached by quite a lot of trial and error... I
think that it has a way to go, yet.

Alex.

In message of Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Alex Bloor writes
>Hi!
>> Moving on there's the Sipura 3000, which only has 1 ethernet port for
>>connection to a router and therefore does not have QoS, but has
>>multiple SIP accounts.
>
>Ah, I see. Understood. Having said that, the Sipura does match UK
>phonelines quite nicely (phone line spec wise, it has a very clever
>system for impedance matching). It doesn't have two ethernet ports, so,
>as you say, cannot QoS, but to be doing traffic management in this way
>seems a bit odd to me. I'd far rather use something like a Firebrick
>(www.firebrick.co.uk) to do proper (fully controllable) traffic shaping
>before the router..

I will take a look at that tomorrow, thanks.

David

Hi

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:58:32 +0000, David Floyd <david@floyd.org.uk>
wrote:

>Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
>apparently isn't available in the UK.

No, not yet. Their UK distributor is Electronc Frontier
(www.elecfron.com).

TBH, the firmware on the Zyxel 2000 wasn't great (I have one). Perhaps
they've fixed it for the 2000L.

peter

In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Gradwell writes
>Hi
>
>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:58:32 +0000, David Floyd <david@floyd.org.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
>>apparently isn't available in the UK.
>
>No, not yet. Their UK distributor is Electronc Frontier
>(www.elecfron.com).
>
>TBH, the firmware on the Zyxel 2000 wasn't great (I have one). Perhaps
>they've fixed it for the 2000L.

My typing error, sorry! I was actually talking about the 2002L

David

In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Gradwell writes
>Hi
>
>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:58:32 +0000, David Floyd <david@floyd.org.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
>>apparently isn't available in the UK.
>
>No, not yet. Their UK distributor is Electronc Frontier
>(www.elecfron.com).

Um! They don't have a web page!
DF

"David Floyd" <david@floyd.org.uk> wrote in message
[...]
> Moving on there's the Sipura 3000, which only has 1 ethernet port for
> connection to a router and therefore does not have QoS, but has
> multiple SIP accounts.

Actually it can only register on a single SIP account, and that's very
annoying because it could be easily solved by a simple change in the
firmware and the GUI fields. For outgoing calls it can define up to four
accounts (or more, by embedding the definition of the "gateway" in the
dial plan), BUT one cannot specify outbound proxies: and with symmetric
NATs that represents a showstopper. Another problem that calls for a
firmware fix.

Enzo

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:14:02 +0000, David Floyd <david@floyd.org.uk>
wrote:

>In message of Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Gradwell writes
>>Hi
>>
>>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:58:32 +0000, David Floyd <david@floyd.org.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Then I found the ZyXEL 2000L which has all of these things, but
>>>apparently isn't available in the UK.
>>
>>No, not yet. Their UK distributor is Electronc Frontier
>>(www.elecfron.com).
>>
>>TBH, the firmware on the Zyxel 2000 wasn't great (I have one). Perhaps
>>they've fixed it for the 2000L.
>>

>My typing error, sorry! I was actually talking about the 2002L

- yeah... <aol>

re elecfron - they don't deal direct with the public, but if you ask
them, they might tell you when it's going to be available and where
you can buy it.

peter