Not sure if my new power supply is working...

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
I just bought a new power supply for my new system which I will get in the next few days. I want to test it but I dont want to use the computer right now, so I need to test it without a comp. I tried connection only the power supply to a CDROM drive, and plugged it in, nothing happened... My question is "is that a problem" or is it not supposed to work, and if so, how do I test it without a computer....

Here is my model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

Thanks!

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
danmit whoopsss..

i thought GPU meant PC power supply, I was talking about the power...my bad.. :(

- Tomer

you just need to load up the +5v a bit more, so try a HDD or two then temporarily short out the green "ps-on" lead to the adjacent ground wire on the ATX connector to simulate the power-on signal from the mobo using a paper clip or something - if you leave it connected it will just shut down in a couple of seconds.

2psfig7small.jpg

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
ok good so it wasnt supposed to work what i did....

your way sounds a bit too complicated, I dont want to mess something up, I'll just wait to test it with a computer...

so you're saying, the power only turns on when it gets a signal from the mobo, right?

thanks
- tomer

yes the correct way is *much* safer if you are unfamiliar with jump-starting bare PSUs...

I also used the TT-420AD a couple of years back, still running strong throughout several systems it finally found a good home in my A64-3400 linux box on the job...

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yes the correct way is *much* safer if you are unfamiliar with jump-starting bare PSUs...

I also used the TT-420AD a couple of years back, still running strong throughout several systems it finally found a good home in my A64-3400 linux box on the job...

lol, i agree just stick with the normal way of testing

TRENDING THREADS