Need clarification on some AMD chips..

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
I'm just looking at maybe upgrading and changing my system over to AMD finally. Just wanted to know whether the following chips are meant for single cpu motherboards or dual-cpu ones?

Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core 1000HT 1MBx2
Athlon 64 3800+ Socket AM2 2.4Ghz 2000FSB 512K Box
Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.6Ghz L2 2MB S939
Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Socket AM2 Dual Core 2.0Ghz 2000FSB 1MBx2 Box

I know the x2's & dual cores are probably dual-cpu, but to be honest I've been out of the computer world for so long that I have no idea what's going on with these things anymore. If someone could clarify if these are meant for dual-cpu applications, or rather just some new technology from AMD it would be great, thanks.

brainhacked

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Well as far as I know they can all be used in motherboards with just 1 CPU socket. A dual core CPU is simply one CPU chip with two cores inside that does the work.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm just looking at maybe upgrading and changing my system over to AMD finally. Just wanted to know whether the following chips are meant for single cpu motherboards or dual-cpu ones?

Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core 1000HT 1MBx2
Athlon 64 3800+ Socket AM2 2.4Ghz 2000FSB 512K Box
Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.6Ghz L2 2MB S939
Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Socket AM2 Dual Core 2.0Ghz 2000FSB 1MBx2 Box

I know the x2's & dual cores are probably dual-cpu, but to be honest I've been out of the computer world for so long that I have no idea what's going on with these things anymore. If someone could clarify if these are meant for dual-cpu applications, or rather just some new technology from AMD it would be great, thanks.
All but the 3800+ are dual-core CPU's. They have dual cores, but on a single die, meaning only one physical CPU. Most s939 motherboards support dual core. You must be thinking about the old Dual processors of the 90's. 2 processor motherboards as of now are kept in the server world. So as it stands, if you want to go dual core vs single core, there isn't much difference...hardware wise, and dual core is the way to go. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :wink: GL :)

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Sheesh, it's a good thing I asked. I read about the AMD price drops, but had no idea it was going to happen so soon, and that they would be phasing out the 1MB cache chips as well when it happens.

For about 3 years now I've been with pentium and have always wanted to change to an AMD based setup because I read how much better AMD chips are in most (if not all) areas. Now it's shocking to read that Pentium will be releasing something new that is likely to reclaim the market to their side. Personally I'm not really looking for anything to crazy, the P4 2.4 I have now is more than enough as I don't really play games anymore. However, I'm looking at changing processors now because I will have to buy a new mobo, to support a new vid card, for a new monitor. It's a chain of things that has got me thinking down the line here. So I'd like to get something pretty nice, but not top of the line because it wouldn't be worth it for me.

Looks like I have to do a bit of research before I jump on anything. Thanks for the info guys, it's much appreciated 8)

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Ah, the usual with the computer world. Something better always *just* around the corner :)
I really don't have any problem waiting, I'm only considering upgrading now as I might leap on a Apple 30" display, and doing so I would have to upgrade my vid card to a dual-link dvi, and figured I might as well upgrade the mobo & cpu while I was at it.
It's good to know what's coming though, I've been waiting for years now for things to advance so far (like 4ghz chips) until I would look at upgrading, seems that's still a ways off surprisingly though. Not sure what I'll do, I am going to need to do something massive with hard drive space soon and kinda wanted to get it all set up on a solid rig, upgrading later would mean a lot of trouble for me particularly.
Thanks for the little history lesson though, I'm gonna start reading around now and consider a few different options. I will definently be waiting this out for a little longer than I thought though ;)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I've been waiting for years now for things to advance so far (like 4ghz chips) until I would look at upgrading, seems that's still a ways off surprisingly though.
Things are advancing rapidly, before our very eyes. Intels new Conroe is more than equivalent to a pentium 4GHz, and does it while sipping electricity...and outputting very little heat. :)