Sign in with
Your question

SLI or Dual-DVI for Apple 30" Cinema Display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2006 10:48:07 PM

I'm seriously considering getting one of Apple's 30" displays and if I do so, I'll need to upgrade my computer as well.
I know this monitor requires two DVI outputs, and my question is:
Can I use a SLI setup with two PCI-E cards and run the monitor plugged into both of their DVI inputs? Or is the only option for this monitor to get a Dual-DVI card like the FireMV 2200 PCI Express 128MB Dual DVI?

From what the local stores carry, there is a very limited selection of Dual DVI cards. I'd really prefer to get two higher end PCI-E cards for an SLI mobo and use it like that.

Does anyone know if that's possible?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 14, 2006 11:45:39 PM

Quote:
I'm seriously considering getting one of Apple's 30" displays and if I do so, I'll need to upgrade my computer as well.
I know this monitor requires two DVI outputs, and my question is:

It's doesn't require two DVI outputs, it requires DUAL-LINK DVI.

Very different thing.

Either get an X1K (X1300,1600,1800,1900) or recent GF7 series card as they are equipped with dual-link DVI.

SLi and Xfire aren't involved, and should only be consider if you're gaming, and only because it's a large unscalable resolution.
June 15, 2006 3:40:25 AM

Ah, greatape, thank you for clearing that up!
I'm glad to know that there is some options with cards of this type :D 
Related resources
June 15, 2006 8:38:17 AM

What i would like to know is how in the hell do you get the money for the screen? Where do you work? are they accepting applications? Once you get it I do give sexual favor for top of the line electronics.... :wink: :lol:  8O
June 15, 2006 9:35:21 AM

Personally I would go with the Apple display (because it's so darn cool, and Apple displays are the absolute best) but some others would say to go with a Dell 30" instead.

Also, it has been said that Dell and Apple use the same panels but I haven't seen any evidence for it.
June 15, 2006 2:38:51 PM

Acer are just about to release a new range of large LCD widescreens too -much lower prices apaprently but neither price nor details are available for 2 weeks.
June 15, 2006 3:14:31 PM

The Apple Cinema is nice, but because Apple products don't always play nice with Windows products (go figure), the hardware brightness/contrast adjustments don't work under Windows. You'll have to calibrate it with software, most likely with your video card driver/software.
June 15, 2006 6:21:34 PM

Hmm, I didn't know Acer was planning a new line.
I've had both the 32" & 37" for demo purposes for a month each, and both were really quite nice as computer monitors. As far as LCD/TV's go, both were the best of all the ones I tried. Problem is, the 32" doesn't have an HDMI input, and it's resolution was capped at 1360x768, and the 37"...well it was just a little to big for a computer monitor. It was excellent all round, but when you needed to read something for 20-30 mins + it started to make your eyes ache :?
If they made a 32" model with an HDMI input and higher resolution I swear it would be the PERFECT monitor. Strangely manufacturers haven't seemed to key into the computer / tv idea as much as they should yet. There's a few efforts out there, but most of them are shabby to say the least.

Anyways with the Apple, the 20" I'm demo'ing now as well as the 23" I had weren't easily adjusted from windows settings, but unless you've got a graphics card from like 5 years ago then yours should have a panel with full settings and this shouldn't be a problem. I've still got a Radeon9700Pro from 3-4 years ago (and I love it to death, would never dream of upgrading unless I *had* to) and it's got a control panel with all the options I'd ever need to adjust any monitor.

I've heard and read Dell all over the place here to, I'm going to check into their 30" display as well but honestly have doubts it could be as nice as Apple's. I know this isn't a good attitude, but if you've seen the 30" for yourself, well...I think you'd have doubts as well ;) 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2006 9:20:36 PM

Quote:

I've heard and read Dell all over the place here to, I'm going to check into their 30" display as well but honestly have doubts it could be as nice as Apple's. I know this isn't a good attitude, but if you've seen the 30" for yourself, well...I think you'd have doubts as well ;) 

Personally I don't like the Apple, but then again I'm not an iLife kind of guy.

Anywhooo something to read that may be helpful;

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/2560_1600_gaming_pr...
June 15, 2006 10:26:54 PM

check here for a head to head comparision of both the dell and apple 30" displays, very interesting results the comparison
June 15, 2006 10:36:14 PM

Very interesting article, although it's hardly conclusive.

So I guess it boils down to what the display is going to be used for.

I thought the Apple won that one by more than just a little bit - the Dell only taking one round because the reviewer preferred the way the Dell connected. Having loads of cables connecting things together isn't the Apple thing.
June 15, 2006 11:31:01 PM

Indeed a very interesting article, but it's still not really a definitive answer.
Myself, I do a LOT of text reading on my monitor, and the article pointed out that the Apple really isn't very good for this. I'm going to have to go see for myself though, this is one weak point that could break the sale for me.
I like the sounds of the dell somewhat, but one point in the article really turned me off from it:
"The UltraSharp 3007WFP's image suffered from an oversaturation of the reds and the oranges, especially apparent in distorted skin tones and pinkish-looking overhead lights", they seemed to point out that generally the Dell is very bright and has some color exaggeration going on. Obviously when you spend this kind of money you want something good all round, and if the dell is weak in this area that would be a dealbreaker as well.
Looks like I'll just have to go and see for myself.
June 16, 2006 12:15:20 AM

well first off the problem is selection and maturity... first off there is since you
only have 2 available options you will have to sacrifice something and so far these 30" monitors are say a first generation, maybe the second time around they'll be better , but right now it looks like you sacrifice too much for one...

so the solution is spend your money more wisely and get to two 24" displays or three for that matter since the Apple costs $2,499.00 you could get a monitor for gaming, one for web surfing, and one for dvd/movies and you would have the best of all worlds all at the same time having just as an impressive setup and saving yourself some money cause i know i could find 3 sweet 24s for under $2500 dollars and 3 monitors would be way more impressive than the one apple display...
June 16, 2006 7:38:36 AM

Like mentioned earlier I do sexual favos for electronics....... :wink:

Any how, the three monitor, while exciting, sounds like over kill. I mean honestly who is going to surf the web, play a game, and watch a movie all at one time? i would rather have the apple/dell 30" screen, play a game and have it look insane, and then maybe hook up an old pci video card to run a web browsing monitor to the side. And for TV, just go to BestBuy and pick up a $150 TV and get Comcast/Directv.
June 16, 2006 5:38:21 PM

Now that is something I didn't think about. Both these 30" displays are relatively new, and are both first generation, so I guess that explains why they have their flaws.
Getting two 24"s is a good idea, but in all honestly if the Dell 24" is good all round you wouldn't really need a 2nd.
The 24" is $845 CAD right now, quite a difference from $2999 CAD for the Apple. I could get one and just wait it out until they start releasing better 30" displays. I would hate to drop $3k on one and find a new model out just months later.
I actually love the 20" Apple I'm on right now, so if the Dell is nicer than this, 4 inches bigger and a few hundred cheaper I can't see any problems there. I still would like to see one first though, do you guys know of any retail stores that carry Dell stuff?
!