Going from gaming to Video Editing...

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was hoping to upgrade my rig to something new in a few months for video editing because I just recently got hooked on that. I won't really be using my PC for much gaming, Half Life 2 (Fortress-Forever mainly) and Battlefield 2. I'm working on a lot of video stuff, looking at getting a digital camcorder, the works really. As of now, this is my rig:

3500+
6800GT
1GB Crucial Ballistix
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax10
Chaintech VNF4
Sony DVD Burner
Aspire Case
FPS 450W

It's done quite well even for Oblivion. However, recently I got an Xbox360 as a media center for are new home theater we are working on. I was hoping to salvage some of the stuff like the hard drive, burner, capture card, and PSU. The other stuff I figured I would get rid of. As of now I have no budget, due to the lack of money :( . I did get a job at BestBuy so I should be able to afford something.

I guess here is what I was looking at in general:
- Dual Core ($200, probably a 930D)
- 2GB RAM
- I'm not sure it's even worth getting rid of my 6800GT, looking at a X800GTO if I do ($100, 256 bit)
- I have 500GB of total storage, I figure that should be enough
- A cheap case with fire-wire, usb, mic, sound on front panel
- A motherboard that can support those front panel features as well as have digital out (S/PDIF out or Optical out)

I want to invest more in things that will help with the smoothness of video editing more than the features themselves. I hope to get rid of the extra stuff, including my HDA sound card, and get some better parts.

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
im not sure what socket your cpu is but if its 939 then you can get by with going dual core amd x2 cpu then add more memory .the 1 gb you have and the other stuff can be used for now and upgraded as budget allows.from what im reading the prices on amd are going to drop bigtime when intel releases conroe .if you can wait then do what i said above you can save some money.or wait till then and go all out on new am2 socket amd stuff or intel conroe when prices level off(drop)

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The main reason behind the intel choice was that for my needs the 930D seems to perform near par with the X2 3800+, and at $190 its no a bad price. I also will need a new motherboard anyways as this one doesn't have some of the things I would like it to. I have 4x512mb of RAM, 1 GB installed. The other gig is at a different house, the one we are moving to. That RAM didn't work with the motherboard so I got the crucial. I'll probably be getting DDR2 anyways.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
If you absolutely must buy now......Yes, Intel Pentium D processors are definitely better value CPUs than AMD and performs better than a comparable single core AMD price wise.
Not to mention that your interest in video editing will most benefit from an Intel more than a AMD cpu.

I too, was in a similar situation like yours.
Previously owning a AMD 64~3200+ (S939 and OCed to 2.6GHz) for gaming BF2, DOOM3, etc.......I've always had the interest of video editing as I like to keep copies of NBA playoff matches, MLB playoff matches, FIFA World Cup, etc. and I've always done it with the one machine...the AMD.

I recently purchased a Pentium D 805 with 2 x 1GB of memory and set up 2 x 250GB WD SATA-II in raid 0...............it's taken the load off for the AMD machine.
I sometimes convert 10 matches in one go and the Intel machine is still very responsive. Obviously being dual core CPU, it should be over the AMD sinlge core.

What I am trying to say is.......I think you're going about the right direction in wanting to purchase a Pentium D 930 for what you want to do.
The only thing I can think of changing is getting 2 x 2GB of memory if you can, instead of 2 x 1GB..........thats the only thing I regard not getting when I got my Pentium system!!!

I think the 2 x 2GB is worth while, needed and will last longer for future OS releases and video editing.........