Intel Has a 48-Core Chip for Smartphones and Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Did Tom just take a random pic of a mobo inside a PC casing ?? Or am I expected to carry that 48 core 10pound gorilla in my pocket?

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Did Tom just take a random pic of a mobo inside a PC casing ?? Or am I expected to carry that 48 core 10pound gorilla in my pocket?[/citation]

More than likely they're emulating the new design in a FPGA of some sort for debugging / testing, hence the giant heatsink / fan and boatloads of support hardware.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Cell phones has come a long way. From just taking and receiving calls and now a 48 core in a cell phone being tested. Not only that i can talk to friends on my cell, I can also have a meaningful conversation on the phone itself. It will be my new best friend.

abraham_mammogram

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
As I understood it, high core count processors are inherently ineffective, due to the issue of data transfer between all of the cores taking a considerable amount of time. Would this problem be reduced if separate core "clusters" were working on different computational tasks, acting as independent units within the processor, as mentioned in the article? If so, would it not be easier to just include multi-processor smart phones, rather than one single 48 core phone?

[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Did Tom just take a random pic of a mobo inside a PC casing ?? Or am I expected to carry that 48 core 10pound gorilla in my pocket?[/citation]
... that could make for some akward moments in the office.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Guys, the picture is obviously showing a testing rig.
The processor itself is either underneath the small fan on the bottom(which may or may not be a south/northbridge chip) or it is sitting on a module that is on the bottom right hand corner of the picture.
More than likely its on that module.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ushyperion[/nom]48 cores for a phone, can't wait to see what they have for the pc in the future.[/citation]

the cloud... i can honestly see home pc development stopping soonish to push cloud...
i dont like that at all, but it will happen.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the cloud... i can honestly see home pc development stopping soonish to push cloud...i dont like that at all, but it will happen.[/citation]

Yeah but unless the security is vastly improved it will die as well when it will be headline after headline that site after site is hacked and peoples knowledge involving having convenient data available 24/7 has its risks. The more eggs in one basket the bigger the risk it attracts the wrong attentions. Its simple math!

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
The title is misleading for uninformed people :/
Yeah, I give props to any company cramming that many cores on a single die, its cool from an engineering point of view, but when it comes to performance, no smartphone or tablet OS is able to use that many cores. The limitation now lies on the software aspect.

Until there is a way to HANDLE those cores, putting so many on a die is irrelevant, and a feat that has been reached before by both Intel and AMD.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Yeah but unless the security is vastly improved it will die as well when it will be headline after headline that site after site is hacked and peoples knowledge involving having convenient data available 24/7 has its risks. The more eggs in one basket the bigger the risk it attracts the wrong attentions. Its simple math![/citation]

if you read the news, or watch ANYTHING on tv, you realise that normal people barely know how to breath they are so stupid.

many people think a cellphone camera is good enough for important pictures

and how many people use the earbuds that come with an ipod

people dont care at all about quality anymore so long as it works.
now, what is most peoples data?
nothing important, sure the vulnerability feel will be there, but no one cares.

soon enough computers will just be a streaming video box and we get all our processing power from renting it, because i would say 90% at least do noting but brows the internet and send email, possibly upload photos, but thats more of a cellphone thing now.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
So, Larrabee's a cell-phone wannabe. So what?

Haven't system designers already figured out that heterogeneous processing power is more energy efficient? This achievement doesn't change that fact that it makes more sense from performance / power and work / energy perspectives to glue together a couple of GP-CPUs with an array of GPGPUs such as those in the GCN architecture. Intel must have been looking for a way to make headlines in the mobile space to distract from their poor efficiency.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Until there is a way to HANDLE those cores, putting so many on a die is irrelevant, and a feat that has been reached before by both Intel and AMD.[/citation]
Modern supercomputers have passed the million cores landmark, which proves that ways to 'handle' 48 cores are already 'ancient' history by computing history standards.

The real problem on the desktop/laptop/embedded world is that very few user-interactive tasks lend themselves well to massive multi-threading aside from 3D rendering where GPUs are already working with over 1000 hardware threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.