Sign in with
Your question

"Manufacturers Prefer Turion X2 Over Yonah"

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2006 2:01:38 AM

Quote:
In mobile, we are beginning to see what was once unthinkable. Manufacturers are switching to AMD Turion instead of Core (Yonah). Why? It seems to be a combination of factors. Yonah is not 64-bit capable, and will have a short market lifespan. Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset. So OEMs and ODMs are introducing a few Yonah models, and filing out the line with Turion, Athlon64-M, and mobile Sempron models for now. Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips, so that is probably a wash, but Merom will start at the top and migrate downward. It may be two years or more before Intel has a low-end 64-bit laptop chip. So my read is AMD will get a lot of the low-end laptop business, and Intel will hold the (large) business and high-end segments.

Just what I've said in the Acer Ferrari thread. :wink:

http://www.fool.com
June 15, 2006 2:05:04 AM

Thats pretty bottom of the barrel stuff there 9nm, some good FUD too.

Quote:
Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset.

Wrong! It works in existing chipsets.

Quote:
Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips

I didn't know K8L was due out in August.

Flawless victory, fatality.
June 15, 2006 2:12:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:

:roll:
June 15, 2006 2:14:12 AM

Good comeback! I see I've been proven wrong by your many well laid out facts.
June 15, 2006 2:31:50 AM

Exactly, they even demoed it live at the IDF.
June 15, 2006 2:41:59 AM

I see you've changed your avatar from the Turdion X2. Perhaps you should change it back since you believe the BS you post. :roll:
June 15, 2006 2:44:40 AM

Quote:
Can you provide links to any thread where 9-inch has provided well laid out facts to support an argument?

Come on now, thats asking for the impossible.
June 15, 2006 3:10:09 AM

Quote:
In mobile, we are beginning to see what was once unthinkable. Manufacturers are switching to AMD Turion instead of Core (Yonah). Why? It seems to be a combination of factors. Yonah is not 64-bit capable, and will have a short market lifespan. Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset. So OEMs and ODMs are introducing a few Yonah models, and filing out the line with Turion, Athlon64-M, and mobile Sempron models for now. Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips, so that is probably a wash, but Merom will start at the top and migrate downward. It may be two years or more before Intel has a low-end 64-bit laptop chip. So my read is AMD will get a lot of the low-end laptop business, and Intel will hold the (large) business and high-end segments.

sounds good..
oh wait.. the customers prefer centrino duos, since centrino "annihilate" turion x2 with ease. plus, the majority of users don't upgrade their O/S upon the immediate releasing of Vista.
let's see.. Vista is next year, and 32 bit compatible. (i saw some of the laptops with Vista OS in Computex on Centrino Duos.) i guess there ain't much incentives for customers to go turion...

EDIT: you know.. they name the website www.fool.com for a reason...
June 15, 2006 3:12:06 AM

obviously this guy wont giv up till everyone is on the bandwagon with amd, even if intel has some godly processor that pumps out 50% better performance....as long as everyone supports AMD
June 15, 2006 3:18:29 AM

Obi wan from Episode IV IIRC.
June 15, 2006 3:22:22 AM

Good old (sir?) alec guinness.
June 15, 2006 3:26:37 AM

Yes, it is Sir... he was knighted.
June 15, 2006 3:29:41 AM

Thought so. That'd be awesome being knighted.
June 15, 2006 3:35:21 AM

Really? Watching the making of dvd it seemed that no-one had any confidence in it, then again that could have been to dramatise it and make it more interesting. Interesting though.
June 15, 2006 3:51:48 AM

Quote:
It is one of those things where all the elements just so happened to fall together in just the right way --- moments like that do not happen very often.

Ya, the making of documentry was very interesting.

Quote:
It will take another 30 or 40 years to trip over something like that again.

The way things are going it'll probably be longer.
June 15, 2006 4:04:42 AM

Quote:

Looks like once again, your the fool here 9-inch. The funny thing is, I work for a major ISP. Every single one of our network engineers use a 32 bit mobile platform. As i've said before, there just isn't any real justification for using 64 bit in a mobile environment. Sure, there are some reasons to use it but when you have microsoft using 32 bit and until they put out there 64 bit platform, the OEMs will continue to use 32 bit. Sure microsoft has a 64 bit version out but it's junk and hardly anyone uses it.

You guys need to give it up with the whole 64 bit thing in the mobile world. Laptops basically outsell desktops by quite a margin and guess who buys most of those units? The average consumer. You think they care about whether or not a machine can run 64 bit or not? pfft

Oh and one more thing, since Intels platform outperforms turion x2, it's really not gonna matter how Intel performs in the 64 bit arena since nobody uses 64 bit in the mobile market anyway.
June 15, 2006 4:09:44 AM

I'm not a big fan of LOTR. It was pretty well done but lacks all the good things that say star wars has.
June 15, 2006 4:20:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of LOTR. It was pretty well done but lacks all the good things that say star wars has.

I think Gandalf should have just teleported the ring into mount doom.... I mean what wizard wouldnt pick the teleport spell ??? Errrrrr *hides his Dungeons and Dragons stuff*

I concur lol
June 15, 2006 4:23:13 AM

Mainly untrue. Manufacturers choose it because it's dirt cheap.
June 15, 2006 4:28:30 AM

Quote:
Mainly untrue. Manufacturers choose it because it's dirt cheap.

I would tend to agree with that except I would replace manufacturers with people. When mom or grandma or billy joe from the trailer park hear about this "Intarnet" thing they run up to Best Buy or Walmart and buy the cheapest thing they can buy and that is either turion or celeron... and those people make up like 80% of the buyers... they even buy new PC's when they slow down too much from spyware :(  So the facts are they buy those the most becouse they are cheap and thats what people are buying.
June 15, 2006 5:11:44 AM

It's not pricing so much as it is performance. When the average customer buys a Centrino system, they KNOW they're getting a wireless-enabled, high-performance, lengthy battery life device.

The Turion is just a processor, not a platform. This is to say that the customer doesn't know what they're getting themselves into, not to mention the Intel name is fully implanted in the customer's mind.
June 15, 2006 5:39:03 AM

How are laptop sales VS desktop sales going these days ? Last I read towers where going the way of the dino...
June 15, 2006 5:40:00 AM

Quote:

I should point out, I don't think he does this intentionally, I think be believes 100% everything he posts is the golden truth -- but some stuff are just straight up fabrications (like this thread), he is unwittingly spreading deceit, false information, and basic FUD -- it's not his fault, he simply does not understand he himself is being deceived.
Jack

Sadly, I dont think he understands that he also does more to degrade AMDs reputation than AMD itself or Intels team of spin-marketeers

Quote:

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) was one of my favorites of the cult/b-movie zombie genre.
Jack

Ah, then surely you liked Army Of Darkness (Raimi/Tappert/Campbell), or perhaps even Re-Animator
June 15, 2006 6:01:22 AM

Quote:

Here are some other things you should have quoted from the Motley Fool:

Quote:
people sometimes post messages in our folders or make statements in our chat rooms that are misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong.

Quote:
The fundamental concept is that you should NOT rely upon the information or opinions you read. Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on companies and investing techniques. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

Quote:
The Motley Fool does not guarantee the veracity, reliability or completeness of any information provided in our forum or in any hyperlink appearing on our site.

Quote:
If you ignore our advice to do independent research of industries, companies, and stocks, choosing instead to trade solely on information, "tips," or opinions found in our forum, you have made a conscious, willing, free, and personal decision to do so. You have also probably made a mistake.

The Motley Fool DISCLAIMER
June 15, 2006 6:50:14 AM

Manufactures are getting little Yonah waiting for Merom.

And remember if you want to put one Ferrari stick in a Laptop it need AMD processor. AMD is putting a lot of money in Ferrari. And search : there is a picture of Spain GP were ferrari team was using one centrinolaptop to set up the car.
June 15, 2006 8:02:14 AM

Quote:

I am a zombie genre freak :)  ... yeah, Raimi is up there with one of my favorites. His first Evil Dead movie was a classic, terrifying and groteque. I ejoyed the second (Evil Dead II a remake not a sequel of Evil Dead) much more as it had more of the arrogant Ash flavor and more of the tounge-in-cheek background humor. But Army of Darkness was, of the three, my very favorite. More one liners than you can shake a stick at... "First you want to kill me, now you want to kiss me.... blow". I love it.
Jack

Yup, it will be interesting to see how the remake of Evil Dead comes out. Sadly thay cant use the original shack as it burned down. I did get to visit the site and grab my chunk of stone from the chimney though.

On the good side, Raimi has said there will be an Evil Dead 4 and Bruce Campbell will be back as Ash. Its been a long time coming.

Quote:

In fact, if you watch Army of Darkness then Spiderman II you can really see Raimi's fingerprints all over that movie. And of course there's the car in both :)  ....
Jack

Oh yeh... You can see his syle all over The Quick and the Dead too, not one of his best, but woth noting since its the only one of his movies that he did'nt get the car in.

"Shop smart...Shop S-Mart"
June 15, 2006 2:56:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips

Flawless victory, fatality. Hey this aint Mortal Combat! Or is it?

Quote:
I see you've changed your avatar from the Turdion X2. Perhaps you should change it back since you believe the BS you post. :roll:
Leave him alone.

Quote:
Can you provide links to any thread where 9-inch has provided well laid out facts to support an argument?

Come on now, thats asking for the impossible. No it aint 9-inch do your thing.
June 15, 2006 4:26:58 PM

Quote:
obviously this guy wont giv up till everyone is on the bandwagon with amd, even if intel has some godly processor that pumps out 50% better performance....as long as everyone supports AMD

Actually, he has settled down a bit -- most of the posts were ALL CAPS with verbatum copy/paste of the article that he wanted to promote. He is very eager/beaver AMD (or Anti-Intel or both) -- which is sorta sad because he reads and comprehends everthing AMD-postive without any skepticism to challenge the validity of the rumor.

For example, he posts an article about AMD's new pricing structure highlighting the bottom in bold stating 300 mm and 65 nm by end of year, not realizing that this is actually a negative article against AMD's near term prospects.... AMD cannot support this price structure, even if they start shipping 65 nm in Dec. -- they are going to see a major hit on the bottom line and it will last for a while (of course in fairness, the price war is gonna hit Intel hard too), but "fairness" in the facts is not part of his lexicon.

Jack

I think all of you get too emotiona about the topic of AMD vs. Intel. It's just business and they're just chips. A lot of what that article said was deadon even if not technically correct. Intel is not waging a prce war they have to get rid of chips that are crap to make way for ones that are good.

AMD recently made a move to help their bottom line by reducing "support" for 1MB X2s. That reduces chip size by more than a third if you look at how much die is actually L2. That will mean that for a small loss in "cache-fitting" apps but they will get A LOT more chips from a wafer.

AMD also spun off their Alchemy processor for some stock in a MIPS company that MAY do coProcs for Torrenza. RIght now Intel's whole strategy is the faith in a new CPU family with no platform improvements. ANalysts like MotleyFool look at things like that.

Until next year AMD is in a much better position to get new deals. I acyually saw a mobo with an HTX slot on Anands Computex article. And as far as Opteron, the word is that the actual sockets are taking longer than expected, but when they release with DDR2 800 with good timings, it should make use of that higher bandwidth to even things out with Woodcrest - server apps LOVE bandwidth.

But let me stop before I'm accused of treasonous speech.
June 15, 2006 5:25:37 PM

Action Man:

Ever wonder what kind of damage Gandalf could have done to that balrog if only he'd had a lightsaber instead of Glamdring? :D 
June 15, 2006 6:29:12 PM

You should consider thinking about who/what you defend and who/what not...
June 15, 2006 7:23:51 PM

I knew that this was a thread by 9nm even before I clicked on the link on the THG homepage.
June 15, 2006 9:57:36 PM

WHAT IS YOUR DEAL?!

I roamed these forums for months before I joined, and I noticed that whenever anything involving AMD sprang up, you were at the front of the pack of gaggling AMD idiot fanboys. You can't keep posting random crap and expect people to keep listening. Let me put it this way:

You're like a traveling salesman at the doorstep of everyone on this forum. You can't expect us to buy your vacuum cleaner or convert to be a Jehovah's Witness just by dangling the flyer in front of our faces.

You need to sell your case if you expect anyone who hasn't already chosen sides to take up arms against the enemy. Convince me that this affects me in a way I can't live without; intimidate me, bribe me, just do something to convince me!

In my case, buy one of these "Turions," then find me and poke me in the eye with it. Then maybe I'll care.
June 15, 2006 10:14:04 PM

You'll find a surprising number of people who agree with you. People just hate 9-inch. Note how he conveniently disappeared after being owned by the facts. Again. See how easy it is to hate him?
June 15, 2006 11:26:31 PM

Quote:
Action Man:

Ever wonder what kind of damage Gandalf could have done to that balrog if only he'd had a lightsaber instead of Glamdring?

Probably none. They should have cast vader as the lead and have him kick everyones ass. That'd be way more entertaining.
June 15, 2006 11:29:44 PM

As a Star Wars fan, the force compelled me to reply.

Ep IV was great. The acting wasn't terribly good but the characters, effects and storyline were solid.

Ep VI was...ok. Could've done without that whole ewok affair. Best thing about the ewoks was the MAD Magazine skit showing an AT-ST scraping one off of it's foot. Don't get me started about the whole "Battle Of Endor" thing.

Ep I was great except for that horrible little boy and Jar Jar.

Ep II would've been fantastic if you could get past the awful love themes and Hayden Christensen's lack of acting skills.

Ep III more than made up for I and IIs faults. Hayden even appeared to have gotten acting lessons while Portman appeared to have lost her's. Could've done without the "NOOOOO' Vader part, but I can live with it.

Then we come back to Ep V. Personally I think this is the one that made Star Wars. This is the one where Lucas knew he had something good going and ran with it. I have no faults with Ep V. It achieved a balnce within the force.
June 15, 2006 11:43:06 PM

Sorry to nitpick but you left out V and put down VI as V.

Heres my quick summary:

IV was awesome.
V was too awesome.
VI was average at best, the effects were cool, probably the highlight.

I was crap.
II was crap.
III was crap.

Perfectly summed up.
June 16, 2006 12:23:56 AM

[/i]
Quote:

Quote:

Flawless victory, fatality. Hey this aint Mortal Combat! Or is it?

Quote:
Leave him alone.

Quote:

Come on now, thats asking for the impossible. No it aint 9-inch do your thing.

Ohhh, I get it. He's your little brother and your just defending him, right?
Okay, no problem, I'll leave him alone if you'll answer one question for me, okay?
Did your parents have ANY kids that aren't retarded?
:o  :lol: 
June 16, 2006 12:36:42 AM

Still no comeback?
June 16, 2006 3:40:28 AM

You're grasping at straws now. Just because you gave a link to Anand's site showing off some new notebook models utilitizing the X2 Turion doesn't mean that manufacurers prefer the Turion X2 over Yonah, or that Turion X2 will outsell Yonah. It just means that there will be some Turion X2 notebooks for sale this fall.
June 16, 2006 4:11:11 AM

You're grasping at straws now. Just because you gave a link to Anand's site showing off some new notebook models utilitizing the X2 Turion doesn't mean that manufacurers prefer the Turion X2 over Yonah, or that Turion X2 will outsell Yonah. It just means that there will be some Turion X2 notebooks for sale this fall.

No, it makes perfect sense. I get the logic. Ford is set to introduce the new GT500. Soon, all cars sold will be GT 500s.

If all turgs are wurgs, and some wurgs are spurgs than all spurgs must buy AMD.....Point proven. 9 inch is right! :lol: 
June 16, 2006 1:39:50 PM

Quote:

No, it makes perfect sense. I get the logic. Ford is set to introduce the new GT500. Soon, all cars sold will be GT 500s.

If all turgs are wurgs, and some wurgs are spurgs than all spurgs must buy AMD.....Point proven. 9 inch is right! :lol: 

my goodness i laughed so hard ppl started looking at me like i was mad, i'm the onlt techie here so i couldnt really share the joke.
June 16, 2006 4:18:55 PM

Quote:

Heres my quick summary:

IV was awesome.
V was too awesome.

I was crap.
II was crap.
III was crap.

Perfectly summed up.

Thanks, I just fixed it. I wrote it on my way leaving from work so I didn't spend much time on it but I figured the Star Wars subject was more interesting than this thread's topic.

Since I do not share your politics, I cannot agree with your opinions on I, II, & III. But as long as we agree to disagree I belive we have an agreement.
June 16, 2006 4:19:24 PM

Quote:

Heres my quick summary:

IV was awesome.
V was too awesome.

I was crap.
II was crap.
III was crap.

Perfectly summed up.

it's interesting both that you didn't like the prequels and this Star Wars thread popped up here considering AMD Opterons were used to make Episode I-III.

Funny Huhn?

IF you didn't like II and III, you're like gay or something. Those were the best FX next to only War Of The Worlds and guess what that was made with Opterons too.
June 16, 2006 4:45:43 PM

Ironic how Special Effects require a Blue Screen...
June 16, 2006 5:39:36 PM

Quote:

it's interesting both that you didn't like the prequels and this Star Wars thread popped up here considering AMD Opterons were used to make Episode I-III.

Funny Huhn?

IF you didn't like II and III, you're like gay or something. Those were the best FX next to only War Of The Worlds and guess what that was made with Opterons too.

LOL! thats funny! AMD's flagship processor was the K6-2 back in 1998 when episode 1 was released!

On point 2, the special effects in the prequels were awesome, but to me there seemed to be a certain charm that was lacking that was present in the original films.
June 16, 2006 5:48:47 PM

Didn't Lucas use a green screen?

:p 

Episode I: I could take it or leave it. I enjoyed it, but it is for sure my least favorite.

Episode II: Better than the first, though the title really sucked. I mean "Attack of the Clones"? C'mon George... even "The Clone Wars" would have been better.

Episode III: By far the best of the prequels. Seeing Anakin become Darth Vader was something I had always wanted to see. As for Portman's acting... meh... I was too busy not thinking about her acting.

Episode IV: Great movie. Not my favorite, but still rank it above Ep I and II.

Episode V: This one has to be my favorite. The whole "I am your father" thing really clinched it for me.

Episode VI: I agree with the Ewok asessment made earlier... they could have been left out. The final battle between Vader, the Emperor and Luke was my favorite part... and also the nice outfit Carrie Fisher was wearing.
June 16, 2006 7:06:41 PM

Quote:
Episode II: Better than the first, though the title really sucked. I mean "Attack of the Clones"? C'mon George... even "The Clone Wars" would have been better.

Episode III: By far the best of the prequels. Seeing Anakin become Darth Vader was something I had always wanted to see. As for Portman's acting... meh... I was too busy not thinking about her acting.

Episode VI: I agree with the Ewok asessment made earlier... they could have been left out. The final battle between Vader, the Emperor and Luke was my favorite part... and also the nice outfit Carrie Fisher was wearing.

Yeah, I think The Clone Wars would have been better because that's how they referred to in the previous episodes. Attack of the Clones sounds like Invaders from Mars!

Check out V for Vendetta on the Portman thing. When she dresses up as a schoolgirl...ohh my lordies!!! I felt so unclean, and then she gets whirled around onto a bed for a panty money shot.....excuse me, I need to go take a cold shower now.

I also concur with Carrie Fisher's funky slave girl outfit as well. Jabba you lucky fat bastard! It's good to be king, even if your hot slave girl in a funky outfit strangles you with her slave chains.
June 16, 2006 9:05:00 PM

Quote:
Ironic how Special Effects require a Blue Screen...
Slow down there, they used green ones in The Matrix. OMG!
!