topgunw

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Hello,

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 processor. It is brand new (just arrived today)(Don't say I spent too much b/c I got it for a great price...). However, when I check the BIOS out it is running at a temperature of about 61 degrees centigrade. I know that the max temp for this cpu is 68-69 because I called AMD about this, but I was really wondering if anyone had any tips on how to cut this cost. IF you do it would be great.. thanks.

topgunw

specs (all newly installed today)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (using nano-blue thermal compound w/ silver)
2x7900GTX GPUs
A8N32-SLI mobo
1.5GB RAM
600W Xion power supply
Thermaltake Armor Case

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hello,

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 processor. It is brand new (just arrived today)(Don't say I spent too much b/c I got it for a great price...). However, when I check the BIOS out it is running at a temperature of about 61 degrees centigrade. I know that the max temp for this cpu is 68-69 because I called AMD about this, but I was really wondering if anyone had any tips on how to cut this cost. IF you do it would be great.. thanks.

topgunw

specs (all newly installed today)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (using nano-blue thermal compound w/ silver)
2x7900GTX GPUs
A8N32-SLI mobo
1.5GB RAM
600W Xion power supply
Thermaltake Armor Case

I'd re-seat the HSF with AS 5 if you're using the stock HSF or Ceramique if you have a polished aftermarket model. Apply a bead the size of a rice grain or two after a careful cleaning with the AS cleaning solvents.

Since you just installed, you're not OCing yet are you? Make sure your Asus isn't in that auto-OC mode. Check to see that all of your case fans are working right, including the blowhole. If you have a thermocouple, check the CPU temp with it.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Did you use the stock cooler, or an aftermarket one? AMD's stock coolers aren't exactly stellar performers, so what you are seeing could be entirely normal.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Did you use the stock cooler, or an aftermarket one? AMD's stock coolers aren't exactly stellar performers, so what you are seeing could be entirely normal.

The stock FX HSF is actually pretty good. The reported temp sounds high to me, even with stock cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs remounting.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I think I know what your problem is. I was curious about your "nano blue thermal compound" and looked it up. Turns out it performs even worse than the generic white paste they give you in the CPU box. Check out a review here for an idea of what you got yourself into. I'd clean that off and get some Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique, they'll do much better for you (probably 10-15 degrees lower temps, maybe more). If you also invest in a good aftermarket cooler, like a Zalman CNPS9500, you could probably drop those temps to the 30-40 degree range.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
If you’re looking to replace your stock cooler I recommend the Thermaltake Big Typhoon along side of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. It did wonders for my system (it’s a Prescott which are known for heat) which was about 60C idle on stock cooling. Just make sure your case is big enough for it because it's huge. Another benefit I forgot to mention is that it is whisper quiet. If you need something smaller, I hear the Zalman coolers are great as well. Anyways, best of luck in cooling your CPU.