Flying from Christchurch to Wellington, New Zealand (a very scenic flight,
BTW) I encountered severe jerking motions from side to side accompanied by
wild oscillations in speed. It reminded me of spurious joystick inputs that
I've had before, but it went away when I changed the weather to "Clear
Skies".

Is this how windy weather is supposed to behave or is there something else
going on here?
Here is a very short flight movie I recorded (.fsr file). It is only ~250
KB. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at it as see if it seems
like normal behavior or not.
http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/Jerky.FSR

I had just loaded a flight after having installed new terrain mesh for New
Zealand and was flying the FS2004 Cessna 182 Caravan over some mountains.

Thanks.

turbulence?

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
> turbulence?

Yes, that is the question I'm asking. It seems really violent for
turbulence (especially the speed changes). And why no vertical motion
instead of only left and right?

> "Matt B." <none@given> wrote in message
>> Flying from Christchurch to Wellington, New Zealand (a very scenic
>> flight, BTW) I encountered severe jerking motions from side to side
>> accompanied by wild oscillations in speed. It reminded me of spurious
>> joystick inputs that I've had before, but it went away when I changed the
>> weather to "Clear Skies".
>>
>> Is this how windy weather is supposed to behave or is there something
>> else going on here?
>> Here is a very short flight movie I recorded (.fsr file). It is only
>> ~250 KB. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at it as see if
>> it seems like normal behavior or not.
>> http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/Jerky.FSR
>>
>> I had just loaded a flight after having installed new terrain mesh for
>> New Zealand and was flying the FS2004 Cessna 182 Caravan over some
>> mountains.
>>
>> Thanks.

"Matt B." <none@given> wrote in message
> Flying from Christchurch to Wellington, New Zealand (a very scenic flight,
> BTW) I encountered severe jerking motions from side to side accompanied by
> wild oscillations in speed. It reminded me of spurious joystick inputs
that
> I've had before, but it went away when I changed the weather to "Clear
> Skies".
>
> Is this how windy weather is supposed to behave or is there something else
> going on here?
> Here is a very short flight movie I recorded (.fsr file). It is only ~250
> KB. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at it as see if it
seems
> like normal behavior or not.
> http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/Jerky.FSR
>
> I had just loaded a flight after having installed new terrain mesh for New
> Zealand and was flying the FS2004 Cessna 182 Caravan over some mountains.
>
> Thanks.

I don't know if anyone answered this but I think that what you are
experiencing is the "jerky" wind syndrome of FS.

See as you fly around you move into layers of air that have different
speeds. This is modeled very badly in FS since the transition from one air
mass to the other is basically instantaneous (in real life you go through a
layer of turbulence first and you might be dancing for more than a few
minutes).

One way to fix it that I know of is FSUIPC ... i think the freeware
unregistered version has wind smoothing to fix that problem (the winds will
change only a few degrees per second between different layers of air).

you can find it here:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Hope this solves your issue.

Marco
--
The Pilot Lounge Aviation Community and MessageBoard
http://www.thepilotlounge.com

er how do you view a .fsr file?? excuse iggorence

Butts

"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> er how do you view a .fsr file?? excuse iggorence
>
> "Matt B." <none@given> wrote in message
>> "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
>>> turbulence?
>>>
>> Yes, that is the question I'm asking. It seems really violent for
>> turbulence (especially the speed changes). And why no vertical motion
>> instead of only left and right?

http://www.brockmanonline.com/misc/jerky.zip

I just realized I pr'y should've zipped the .fsr file to make it easier to
download, so here is anew link.

The .fsr file is created by MSFS2004 when you record a flight movie. If you
put the .fsr file into your "Flight Simulator Files" folder under "My
Documents" (this is the folder with all of your saved flights, etc.), then
you should be able to load the .fsr file from inside FS. AFAIK, you can only
load a flight movie, oddly enough, after you have already started a flight
(any flight), because there is no way to access the menu choice to view (or
record) a movie from the main menu!

Anyway, I've never tried to share a .fsr file before, so hopefully, it will
work. I'd appreciate it if someone with more FS experience than me could
tell me if the plane's behavior is from weather or a glitch with my system
(as I can't tell the difference :).