How much RAM ?

Hello,

I seek a rule to determine the quantity of RAM which is
necessary to install in a laser printer to print my documents, where can
I find that ?

Alain
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I'm assuming this is a black and white printer. You need to determine
    the resolution of the printer and the size of the document, for
    starters. A 300 dpi printer needs a lot less memory than a 600 or 800 or
    1200 dpi printer.

    But that still won't necessarily supply you with the numbers you need.
    Other issues are if fonts are held in memory of the printer, if the
    printer uses postscript, if you wish more than one document to be held
    in memory of the printer, and so on.

    Further, some types of printers have drivers developed for them which
    compress the image raster before it is downloaded to them printer, which
    can reduce the amount of memory within the printer.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

    > I'm assuming this is a black and white printer. You need to determine
    > the resolution of the printer and the size of the document, for
    > starters. A 300 dpi printer needs a lot less memory than a 600 or 800 or
    > 1200 dpi printer.
    >
    > But that still won't necessarily supply you with the numbers you need.
    > Other issues are if fonts are held in memory of the printer, if the
    > printer uses postscript, if you wish more than one document to be held
    > in memory of the printer, and so on.
    >
    > Further, some types of printers have drivers developed for them which
    > compress the image raster before it is downloaded to them printer, which
    > can reduce the amount of memory within the printer.

    Thank you, my need is to print one picture, at 1200dpi with a post
    script monochrome A4 printer (IBM3116), do I need more than 16Mo ?

    Is it useful to put in it 32Mo ?

    Alain

    Alain191 wrote:
    > Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm assuming this is a black and white printer. You need to determine
    >>the resolution of the printer and the size of the document, for
    >>starters. A 300 dpi printer needs a lot less memory than a 600 or 800 or
    >>1200 dpi printer.
    >>
    >>But that still won't necessarily supply you with the numbers you need.
    >>Other issues are if fonts are held in memory of the printer, if the
    >>printer uses postscript, if you wish more than one document to be held
    >>in memory of the printer, and so on.
    >>
    >>Further, some types of printers have drivers developed for them which
    >>compress the image raster before it is downloaded to them printer, which
    >>can reduce the amount of memory within the printer.
    >

    > Thank you, my need is to print one picture, at 1200dpi with a post
    > script monochrome A4 printer (IBM3116), do I need more than 16Mo ?

    Without adta on what "1200dpi" means in actual print data (there is _no_
    standard way of specifying this), it's impossible to say just how large
    the image file may be.

    > Is it useful to put in it 32Mo ?

    Possibly. Depends onn whether the printer hiccups while printing a large
    file - if that botehrs you, put in more RAM (it doesn't bother me.:-))

    > Alain

    The printer is actually a small computer. Any computer will run faster
    if it has more RAM, up to a surprisngly low limit in the case of the
    printer. NB that printing is very slow compared to data transfer, so
    that your printer actually receives data much faster than it can print
    it, hence RAM to store print data. It is usually useful to have lots of
    RAM in a networked printer, so that it can receive (and print) all of a
    given print job before accepting the next, but just how useful the extra
    RAM may be has more to do with the server software than with the amount
    of RAM in the printer.

    In your situation, if you have no network, your computer's spooling
    capability together with the printer driver will handle the print-data
    storage and transfer tasks, so extra RAM will make little if any
    difference. You might notice occasional pauses in printing if you are
    running several other programs while printing, so if that bothers you,
    get more RAM - as much as you can afford.

    If my internal "biological" memory is working correctly, in the most
    simplified method of figuring out the memory required for a black and
    white bitmapped image 8.5" x 11" (which is slightly larger then you
    would be doing) at 1200 dots per inch would require 1 bit per dot, in
    the raster (being either on (black) or off (white). Laser printers,
    like inkjet printers don't create "shades" for each dot. It can only be
    one pure color (in the case of a monochrome laser printer, either black
    or not black (white). By making a pattern of dots within an area the
    perception of shades of gray can be created.

    Anyway, assuming no compression on the way to the printer, or within the
    printer raster development, the above scenario requires just about 13
    megs of memory. PostScript can reduce the size, depending upon the
    implementation and contact of the image.

    Now, that's just to retain the full rasterized image in memory. The
    printer may require more memory for other needs within it, which I can't
    know about. If you plan to print more than one image, having double the
    memory may allow for one image to be downloading to the printer while
    another is being rasterized or printed.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > If my internal "biological" memory is working correctly, in the most
    > simplified method of figuring out the memory required for a black and
    > white bitmapped image 8.5" x 11" (which is slightly larger then you
    > would be doing) at 1200 dots per inch would require 1 bit per dot, in
    > the raster (being either on (black) or off (white). Laser printers,
    > like inkjet printers don't create "shades" for each dot. It can only be
    > one pure color (in the case of a monochrome laser printer, either black
    > or not black (white). By making a pattern of dots within an area the
    > perception of shades of gray can be created.
    >
    > Anyway, assuming no compression on the way to the printer, or within the
    > printer raster development, the above scenario requires just about 13
    > megs of memory. PostScript can reduce the size, depending upon the
    > implementation and contact of the image.

    ^^^ that was supposed to read "content of the image"

    > Now, that's just to retain the full rasterized image in memory. The
    > printer may require more memory for other needs within it, which I can't
    > know about. If you plan to print more than one image, having double the
    > memory may allow for one image to be downloading to the printer while
    > another is being rasterized or printed.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Alain191 wrote:
    >
    >> Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm assuming this is a black and white printer. You need to determine
    >>> the resolution of the printer and the size of the document, for
    >>> starters. A 300 dpi printer needs a lot less memory than a 600 or 800 or
    >>> 1200 dpi printer.
    >>>
    >>> But that still won't necessarily supply you with the numbers you need.
    >>> Other issues are if fonts are held in memory of the printer, if the
    >>> printer uses postscript, if you wish more than one document to be held
    >>> in memory of the printer, and so on.
    >>>
    >>> Further, some types of printers have drivers developed for them which
    >>> compress the image raster before it is downloaded to them printer, which
    >>> can reduce the amount of memory within the printer.
    >>

    >> Thank you, my need is to print one picture, at 1200dpi with a post
    >> script monochrome A4 printer (IBM3116), do I need more than 16Mo ?
    >>
    >> Is it useful to put in it 32Mo ?
    >>
    >> Alain

Printers Laser Printer RAM My Documents Peripherals