Slow ram is probably causing my system to slow down.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Oy, just ram Mark06 with a whooping score of 4326
my specs:
DFI SLi-Dr Expert
amd +3700
Evga 7900gt 550/1500
X-Fi eXtreme music
NeoHe550 watt psu
2x 512 Kingston value ram, which is about 5yrs old, 2-5-5-6

My question is, when I ran the CPU tests, it was running all slow and crapy not even 1FPS!!
the graphic tests were wonderful though. My stock amd ran @ 2.21 but I've OC'ed it to a 2.48. I am shure that its my ram, but I just need to be for certain. PPL have mentioned to me to get G.Skill ram, its works great with DFI mobos.
Any suggestions out thure?? :twisted:

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
That's actually pretty good, and of course the cpu tests run 1fps, it's stressing the shiznit out of it. Check out their website for a full description of the tests it runs.

Also, do you have the driver defaulted? With my x1800xt and 3700 I get 3907 with everything in the driver maxed, aa, af etc. All at the default res of 1024x768 with 2-3-2-5 1t OCZ.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I would definetally get new ram. I'm not sure what the clock speed of ddr ram 5 years ago but I'm pretty sure it wasnt ddr-400. You'll want to invest in a nice pair of ddr-400 ram with timings of 3-3-3 or better. Depending on if you should get 2 x 512 or 2 x 1 gig is a matter of what games you play. If you play things like bf2, fear and cod2 then you should get 2 gigs of ram, if not, then 1 gig may be fine, but it might be good to invest in 2 gigs since games are starting to get more ram hungry.

What manufacturer you get is all upto you. I personally prefer OCZ, and I have 2 gigs of OCZ gold, but its ddr2, and holy crap its fast (not to mention, uber sexy). They've got a really good warranty, even for overclocking, and they come at a resonable price too. I would shop around and see if you can find some OCZ Gold or Platinum if you want to try OCZ out, but you can pick whichever manufacturer you like, they all work. Some people like Corsair, some like Kingston, some like Patriot, you just gotta shop around for good deals and hopefully when you get it, you'll be pleased with how it preforms.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
plus don't the benches recommend you turn everything off, or to automatic settings for testing so the bench can adjust? It's been a while since i've benched my system. I seem to remember changing my settings and resolution just for the exercise. It made a difference from having my AA4x always on to..Application preference.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
:twisted: I dont think so, just loaded up the benchmark and it ran, what I dont get is why the benchies totally stress the cpu to it max?? Do you think it would run better if I hade better ram??
I'm really considering G.Skill ram. My current ram sucks but at least it plays CoD2 on max settings.
I need to spend money on my computer

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yes buy new RAM. Lots more. In fact I recommend at least a 1TB these days. It's clearly holding you back here.

And yah, DDR400s only been around for a few months so there is no way you have DDR400 in your machine.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i only use these types of benchmarks for comparison on my own system - i never *ever* compare them to, other peoples scores...

if i am messing with ram timings or a bit of overclocking .. etc ..etc ...etc
to see what type of difference i have made with my changes

btw 5 year old memory can be 400mhz........

*chuckles* @ Anoobis - funny stuff man lol

Dude - if yur system plays a good game at max settings - why are you worry'n about anything at all?????????????????????

if you want to upgrade to 2gig then just do it - you wont be sorry *unless* you look at those stupid benchmark number

sailer

Splendid
Your ram is definity slow. New ram that runs about 2-3-2-6 will do better. Not sure if you have ddr 333 (PC 2700), or 400 (PC 3200) or even slower. Value ram usually was slower by its nature. Your board should allow PC 3500, which is even faster. I've got 2 gig of Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL on order to help my system.

It would also help to use either a 1 gig stick or two 1 gig sticks. Faster access and all that. In any case, 5 year old ram was good 5 years ago, but just doesn't cut it today if you want high scores.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
what I dont get is why the benchies totally stress the cpu to it max??

becuase it's a benchmark? the entire purpose is to test the maximum capability of the system, can it do that if it only runs the cpu at 20%?

Also, remember that 3DMark06 is optimized for dual core cpu's, two exact same systems side by side with one single core and the other dual core and the dual core will have the higher score.

I do also suggest that you get more ram, 2 x 1gb would be best for now. I think your score is average for your system... but then again how could it not?

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
try this for fun PCpitstop It gives some comparison results, this and thats..though it's not a benchmark app. on the order of pcmark. I bet you could find benchmark numbers posted at an overclockers enthusiast sites, but with so many variables it's hard to say if your numbers are bad or good..unless they're way off the mark. Like someone said, the best point of a benchmark is to test yourself against yourself and see if your changes improved your performance or not.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yes buy new RAM. Lots more. In fact I recommend at least a 1TB these days. It's clearly holding you back here.

And yah, DDR400s only been around for a few months so there is no way you have DDR400 in your machine.

Coming from someone with 666 posts :twisted:

My question is, when I ran the CPU tests, it was running all slow and crapy not even 1FPS!!
That is normal on a good day you may even get up to 2fps :)
the CPU test runs the game(demo thingy benchmark) with the CPU only in SOFTWARE mode.... CPU's are not designed to do this(rendering /shading/and all that good stuff). Thats why it is slow... just goes to show you just how much power those graphics cards have :)

I use a lot of PC3200 400 mhz. RAM. Have Corsiar XMS, Kingston value ram, Infineon and recently tried OCZ, but the OCZ was PC5400 667 mgz. DDR2. The OCZ is versatile and fast, but that is 667 mgz DDR 2. As far as 400 mgz PC3200 stuff ges, I recently upgraded one of my rigs to CRUCIAL BALLISTIC PC4000 500 mgz. I notice a nice overall system response going from PC3200 400 mgz. to setting my RAM speed at 250 mgz. and running 4 x 512 PC4000 500 mgz. in my MSI SLI board. I was surprised at how fast (and stable) the crucial ballistic memory was at 2.5-4-4-8. Check the Crtucial website and run their RAM finder tool and see if you MB can run the PC4000 stuff. I guess it all runs at 400 mgz. no matter if it value ram or Gold and Platinum expensive stuff. Crucial Ballistic PC4000 was a nice step up for me from PC3200 stuff.