Epson Stylus Photo 750 - forcing a cartridge change?

martin

Hi.

The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I took
it out and put it back...

It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace it!

How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this on
Epson's website.

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

Martin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I took
> it out and put it back...
>
> It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace it!
>
> How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this on
> Epson's website.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin.

Open the cover and press the Load/Eject button for 3 seconds. Use this
method only when replacing old or outdated cartridges before the ink
level lights flash or come on.
Here is a link to a flash (animated) instruction.

http://files.support.epson.com/flash/sc670_/oldink.html

Martin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I took
> it out and put it back...
>
> It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace it!
>
> How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this on
> Epson's website.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin.

I Have a Photo 700 you can try holding the paper feed button for a few
seconds that works for me

Martin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I took
> it out and put it back...
>
> It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace it!
>
> How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this on
> Epson's website.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pho750/pho750pb.pdf
PDF pg 37- replacing an old or outdated cartridge- forces a cartridge
change before the low (flashing) or empty (continuously lit) ink light
comes on.

martin

"crazygolfer" <crazygolfernospam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I Have a Photo 700 you can try holding the paper feed button for a few
> seconds that works for me

Me too! Why can't Epson put that on their FAQ?

Thanks a lot.

It's in the manual for the printer.

"Martin" <martin@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "crazygolfer" <crazygolfernospam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>> I Have a Photo 700 you can try holding the paper feed button for a few
>> seconds that works for me
>
> Me too! Why can't Epson put that on their FAQ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

If you go to www.epson.com and click on USA, and then click on drivers
and support in the left margin, go to printers, and pick up 750 under
Stylus photo list, (the manual you want to download is pho750u1.pdf).
This is the user's manual, which you may already own.

Typically, under "replacing an outdated ink cartridge" there is likely
to be a series of instructions involving pressing certain front panel
buttons, as described. this should move the cartridge to the correct
location to allow you to remove and replace it with a new, or at least
refilled one.

Art

Martin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I took
> it out and put it back...
>
> It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace it!
>
> How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this on
> Epson's website.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Martin.

Because chances are it's in the manual, if you ever bother to read it.

I don't have either model in question, but all my Epson printers state
how to do this in the manual.

Art

Martin wrote:

> "crazygolfer" <crazygolfernospam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>

>>I Have a Photo 700 you can try holding the paper feed button for a few
>>seconds that works for me
>

> Me too! Why can't Epson put that on their FAQ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Thinking of all of the problems with Epson due to the chip, outdated ink
carts, cartridge swapping and the like, what is Epsons reasons for doing
this and what do you think is the real reason?

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> If you go to www.epson.com and click on USA, and then click on drivers
> and support in the left margin, go to printers, and pick up 750 under
> Stylus photo list, (the manual you want to download is pho750u1.pdf).
> This is the user's manual, which you may already own.
>
> Typically, under "replacing an outdated ink cartridge" there is likely
> to be a series of instructions involving pressing certain front panel
> buttons, as described. this should move the cartridge to the correct
> location to allow you to remove and replace it with a new, or at least
> refilled one.
>
> Art
>

> Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> The colour cartridge read empty although I had not used it much, so I
>> took it out and put it back...
>>
>> It now thinks the cartridge is full, and I can't remove it to replace
>> it!
>>
>> How can I force the printer to give up the cartridge? No help on this
>> on Epson's website.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Martin.

Firstly, let me state that even long before Epson incorporated any chips
in their cartridges, etc, they had a procedure for replacing "outdated"
ink cartridges. It isn't that the cartridges have a date built into
them or that they won't work past any specific date, it is just that
Epson suggests their inks after opening (the older dye cartridges, at
least) should be used up after some set time (I believe it was 6 months)
to prevent ink thickening or otherwise degrading print quality.

Now to the bigger picture. Epson only has the best interest of it's
clients and users in mind in the different technologies it has
incorporated. They want to prevent problems with 3rd party inks from
degrading print quality, they want to offer a good methods of monitoring
the amount of ink in the cartridges, and allow people to remove and
replace cartridges mid-stream and still know just how much ink is left.
They also designed the newer cartridges to be fairly airtight to prevent
drying out and oxidation and went to individual ink color cartridges to
help save the consumer money.

All the problems people speak of are unfortunately side effects of these
ingenious and helpful designs, and anyone who places a negative slant on
Epson's motives is simply malicious or paranoid.

And....

If you believe this, I suggest you take note of the date of this
posting. (April 1st - April Fools' Day.

===============================

Lexmark, HP and Epson, and I'll venture to guess Canon, as soon as they
retain enough market share (if laws don't force all of them to do
otherwise) all have one basic reason reason behind their many schemes
and fancy electronics. It's to sell ink, because, they no longer can
make reasonable profits on their printer sales, due to the business
model they ascribe to. It stinks. It creates waste, it's an
environmental nightmare, and it should be illegal, and hopefully soon
will be.

People should be paying more legitimate prices for printers with better
builds that will last longer. The print quality over the last 5 years
has not changed markedly enough that people should need to replace their
printers every year or two. I still use my second generation Epson
printer and a friend and my brother still use the first generation Epson
color printer. Yes, they are slow, and the print quality has been
improved upon, but considering they are nearly 10 years old, that is to
be expected. However, they both still work as well as they did when
purchased. So, there is no question that Epson and any inkjet printer
manufacturer can make a printer that lasts, they just cost a bit more to
produce. They can also produce ink cartridges without chips, dates, or
non-refillable technologies. They can make printers with removable
waste ink bottoms or pads, and they can make the heads less likely to
clog, also. All it takes is the will of purchasers to refuse to buy
what we are being told is the only way it can be done.

I do not own any Epson printer which requires a cartridge with a chip,
and I don't know that I ever will. I'm hoping Epson will come to their
senses eventually, and dump that technology. It creates unnecessary
problems with little benefit to the buyer who pays for it. I am
encouraging legislators and even Canada Competition Bureau to legislate
refillable cartridges for all inkjet printers sold in Canada, as the EU has.

However, having said that, right now, Epson printers still provide the
best quality result in terms of image and ink options for many
applications. I like Canon as a company. They are innovative and their
film and digital cameras are both designed and built well. Their inkjet
products were a disaster, IMHO, prior to the "i" series. They had major
design flaws, which they came a long way toward correcting. They still
need help in several areas: head design, in terms of burn out (or
cheaper replacement heads so people don't dump the whole printer when
the head fails), ink formulation (improvement so they have better
permanence), media (wider selection and better costs), and color
management (more robust and accurate print drivers).

If they do those things, and still keep their printers free of the
protection rackets used by other inkjet manufacturers, I may well have a
Canon as my next printer.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Firstly, let me state that even long before Epson incorporated any
> chips in their cartridges, etc, they had a procedure for replacing
> "outdated" ink cartridges. It isn't that the cartridges have a date
> built into them or that they won't work past any specific date, it is
> just that Epson suggests their inks after opening (the older dye
> cartridges, at least) should be used up after some set time (I believe
> it was 6 months) to prevent ink thickening or otherwise degrading
> print quality.
>
> Now to the bigger picture. Epson only has the best interest of it's
> clients and users in mind in the different technologies it has
> incorporated.

All companies, including Epson, has the best interest of their
stockholders in mind. Way above its users.

> They want to prevent problems with 3rd party inks

They really, like HP and Canon as well, would like to eliminate the use
of 3rd party inks. Epson does more than anyone to make it much more
difficult to use them.

> from degrading print quality, they want to offer a good methods of
> monitoring the amount of ink in the cartridges, and allow people to
> remove and replace cartridges mid-stream and still know just how much
> ink is left.
> They also designed the newer cartridges to be fairly airtight to
> prevent drying out and oxidation and went to individual ink color
> cartridges to help save the consumer money.
>
> All the problems people speak of are unfortunately side effects of
> these ingenious

way to screw you out of the money you have in your wallet.